Tesla and Toyota Team Up

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
The revolution is upon us. 2010 is the first year all the bill auto makers are rolling out fully electric cars: GM, Honda, Mitsubshi, Kia, Toyita and Chysler (not sure about Ford). I think it will take off slowly like the hyprids, but it will speed up.

I think we will see a transformation over the next decade from gas/oil fueled cars to all electric cars. From 2020-2030 I wouldn't be surprised if gas fueled cars get entirely phased out.

Why Toyota backed Tesla - Video - Business News

Another prediction by 2020, the US gets 25% of it energy from Solar, Wind, Hydroelectric, 25% nuclear, 25% Natural Gas, 20% Coal and 5% biofuels!

Great, now Toyotas going to turn overpriced limited mileage "dreams" that very few people want, into unsafe overpriced "pieces o' shit!" that very few people will want.

New Electric Cars - 2010 and 2011 Electric Cars - Electric Vehicles - thedailygreen.com

The line up:
The first generation will be slow and expensive, but consider that $7,500 tax rebate for all these cars, I think we will be pleasantly surprised.

Nissan Leaf - 100 miles: $23K
GM Volt - 40/400 miles: $40K
Ford Focus - 100 mile: Similar to the Leaf
Godu - ???miles - $40K
Fisker Karma - 50 mil - $87K
Think City - ????? miles (but should be higher than others) - $20K
Tesla Model S - 300 mils - $50K

Great, now Toyotas going to turn overpriced limited mileage "dreams" that very few people want, into unsafe overpriced "pieces o' shit!" that very few people will want.

Most people want their cars off of gas! Its going to happen sooner rather than later. Toyota (minus the little accerlator problem) has always been well above the curve. This is just one more example. See the list I presented, besides the Volt, not really compares to the Model S!

Note: Don't be afraid to embrace something liberal or environmentally friends. Yes movement like these make me stop and pause for a moment, but this is a necessity that we need to embrace! Oil isn't going to be around forever and the Black Crack makes our enemies rich!

Most people want their cars off of gas! Its going to happen sooner rather than later. Toyota (minus the little accerlator problem) has always been well above the curve. This is just one more example. See the list I presented, besides the Volt, not really compares to the Model S!

Note: Don't be afraid to embrace something liberal or environmentally friends. Yes movement like these make me stop and pause for a moment, but this is a necessity that we need to embrace! Oil isn't going to be around forever and the Black Crack makes our enemies rich!
Yeah, after hearing about the Lexus cover up the other day, I wouldn't get anywhere near a Toyota.

Yeah, after hearing about the Lexus cover up the other day, I wouldn't get anywhere near a Toyota.

Well you are missing out! My wife purchased the Sienna minivan not to long ago. It's an amazing vehicle. The designers literally thought of everything and cover everything.

Well you are missing out! My wife purchased the Sienna minivan not to long ago. It's an amazing vehicle. The designers literally thought of everything and cover everything.
Nah, I prefer American or German made. My CL63 AMG is an amazing car. Also happy with my Hummer, my wifes escalade, and my 4 classic american muscle cars.......My sister bought a Rav 4 a couple o' years back, and it's been nothing but a problem child from week one. The thing has been back to the dealer 11 times now to fix various problems in a two year period.

Nah, I prefer American or German made. My CL63 AMG is an amazing car. Also happy with my Hummer, my wifes escalade, and my 4 classic american muscle cars.......My sister bought a Rav 4 a couple o' years back, and it's been nothing but a problem child from week one. The thing has been back to the dealer 11 times now to fix various problems in a two year period.

A hummer and an Escalade? High Roller, some nice cars! Heck I would prefer the Escalade over the Sienna anyday if I could afford the car and gas. Rav 4's are crap.

Prefering American is a relative term. Toyota's are made in America! Buying Toyota is buying American made!

There wasn't a government cover-up. We were the audience at a big Kabuki Theater orchestrated by the Government and featuring Toyota, the UAW, and the American Taxpayer.

- Toyota was flogged for being 16th or 17th on the list of car company complaints (ever wonder why the ones with much worse ratios were not interrogated?).

- The government has given Tesla a minimum of $465M of taxpayer money.

- The U.S. government slaps Toyota with a $16M fine.

- Toyota is "allowed" to invest $50M in Tesla (a great deal for them given the derisking due to massive amounts of U.S. taxpayer funding - making the 16M they gave the feds look like a small trade).

- The UAW starts to make noise that it wants the Tesla-Toyota workers to be unionized.

Prediction: Tesla-Toyota will be populated with UAW workers. Watch for the timing of Congressional hearings and union campaigns/negotiations.

A hummer and an Escalade? High Roller, some nice cars! Heck I would prefer the Escalade over the Sienna anyday if I could afford the car and gas. Rav 4's are crap.

Prefering American is a relative term. Toyota's are made in America! Buying Toyota is buying American made!
My sister pulled up in my driveway in her Rav 4 a few months back. She lives down in San Clemente. She was visiting a friend up in Ojai, and on the way home she went to roll down her window (electronic) and all of a sudden ALL the windows starting going up and down. She drove that way for about 20 miles until she got to our house. I'll tell ya' man, it's one of the funniest things i've ever seen. I was laughing my ass off. She was pissed!....I had to disconnect the battery and call AAA to tow it to the dealership in TO. Turns out it was a chip glitch. But man, that was funny!....She still gets pissed when I mention it and laugh.

I really wanted one of those. Being a millwright most of the time I have purchased cars with 100,000 on the odometer, then got another 150,000 out of them. Looked for an inexpensive Sienna with that kind of mileage. Hell, I could and did buy a Dodge Grand Caravan with half that kind of mileage for half the price. People that have these vehicles just do not part with them until the wheels fall off.

Toyota has are very good reputation, which they messed up for increased production. However, from the people that I know that own Toyotas, they are still head and shoulders above most domestic vehicles in quality and longevity.

And, by the way, Toyota had an all electric vehicle on the market in 1997. By 2002, an individual could purchase it. Many are still on the road with over 150,000 miles on the odometer. Chevron stopped that venture. The vehicle was not a little mini-car, but a full sized RAV4 suv.

Toyota RAV4 EV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whether or not Toyota wanted to continue production, it was unlikely to be able to do so because the EV-95 battery was no longer available. Chevron had inherited control of the worldwide patent rights for the NiMH EV-95 battery when it merged with Texaco, which had purchased them from General Motors. Chevron's unit won a USD 30,000,000 settlement from Toyota and Panasonic, and the production line for the large NiMH batteries was closed down and dismantled. This case was settled in the ICC International Court of Arbitration, and not publicised due to a gag order placed on all parties involved.[3][4] Only smaller NiMH batteries, incapable of powering an electric vehicle or plugging in, are currently allowed by Chevron-Texaco.[5]

Forum List

Back