Terrorists Trying to Influence the Election. Why?

Gem

Rookie
Aug 11, 2004
Just finished listening to an ABC report that stated that the attacks in Iraq are up during the month of October. The report stated that this could be an attempt by the insurgents to influence the mid-term elections.

My question to the board is this:

What outcome do you think the insurgents/terrorists in Iraq want in the mid-term elections?

If they are trying to influence the elections they obviously want either the Republicans or the Democrats to win. Which side do you think they want to win and why?

Just finished listening to an ABC report that stated that the attacks in Iraq are up during the month of October. The report stated that this could be an attempt by the insurgents to influence the mid-term elections.

What outcome do you think the insurgents/terrorists in Iraq want in the mid-term elections?

If they are trying to influence the elections they obviously want either the Republicans or the Democrats to win. Which side do you think they want to win and why?

Democrats. It's been said on several posts, with quotes from articles. Same with NK, they think Dems will be more open with their 'diplomatic efforts.'

I say the Republicans, but I honestly cannot fathom why. I'd really love to have a reason, but that's just how it seems.

Seems clear to me, the Dem's!

Their platform is "cut, and run", negotiate, appease, give back everything, that thousands of Americans, and many others have paid for with their life's.

Their platform is "cut, and run", negotiate, appease, give back everything, that thousands of Americans, and many others have paid for with their life's.
But it doesn't seem that's the effect of their actions. Isn't it just a little weird that they'd cause more fear, which would play into what the Republicans need to win? You have to admit they do play the fear card a bit too much.

But it doesn't seem that's the effect of their actions. Isn't it just a little weird that they'd cause more fear, which would play into what the Republicans need to win? You have to admit they do play the fear card a bit too much.

Actually, too little. The administration has done a piss poor job of explaining the threats, what they know, and what they don't know.

Call it the "fear card" if you like, but I see it as simply stating fact. Terrorists want to kill me, you, and every other American they can get their hands on. They want to destroy this country and end freedom and democracy, and it's something we basically ignored for far to long.

In my opinion, it's the Democrats that play the "fear card" far more often.

"They want to take away your Social Security!"
"They want to give tax breaks to the rich, and it's the middle class that will pay for it!"
(One of my personal favorites and an exaggeration of the abortion issue) "They want to make rape legal!"

Add to that all the fabricated stories surrounding voter fraud and people being prevented from casting their vote, and a few other things, and I'd say the Dems play the fear card far more often.

But to get to the topic at hand, terrorists pay attention. Any time someone speaks on TV news or has a quote in the paper or has something on the internet, it is a world wide audience. The terrorists see people like John Murtha speak and they know there is a portion of people that are in favor of pulling out of Iraq before things are settled. If they think they can push things that way, they will do it.

I think saying the increase in attacks "may" have to do with a desire to influence the election is a pretty big leap. And if they are attempts to influence the election, I think the actual effect is non-existent. As with your comments about the GOP's scare-tactic ad, I think someone who doesn't think we should be in Iraq would say, see.... we shouldn't be there, get rid of the bums in power (which they think already). Someone who thinks Iraq is part of the WOT and that "we're fighting them over there to keep from fighting them here" is going to say, see... we're doing the right thing if "the terrorists" hate us.

Me? I just think we're in the middle of a civil war there and need to let them blow each other up without our soldiers being in the middle of it... In other words, it wouldn't influence my vote at all. :beer:

I think saying the increase in attacks "may" have to do with a desire to influence the election is a pretty big leap. And if they are attempts to influence the election, I think the actual effect is non-existent. As with your comments about the GOP's scare-tactic ad, I think someone who doesn't think we should be in Iraq would say, see.... we shouldn't be there, get rid of the bums in power (which they think already). Someone who thinks Iraq is part of the WOT and that "we're fighting them over there to keep from fighting them here" is going to say, see... we're doing the right thing if "the terrorists" hate us.

Me? I just think we're in the middle of a civil war there and need to let them blow each other up without our soldiers being in the middle of it... In other words, it wouldn't influence my vote at all. :beer:

Most people are on one side of the aisle or the other, but they aren't actually the ones deciding elections. It's the small percentage of people that are in the middle that might be influenced.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway. It's not a matter of what the terrorists may or may not influence, it's a matter of what they think they may influence. Let's not forget the elections in Spain a couple of years ago after the attack there. From their point of view, it worked once, it could work again.

In my opinion, it's the Democrats that play the "fear card" far more often.

"They want to take away your Social Security!"
"They want to give tax breaks to the rich, and it's the middle class that will pay for it!"
(One of my personal favorites and an exaggeration of the abortion issue) "They want to make rape legal!"

Add to that all the fabricated stories surrounding voter fraud and people being prevented from casting their vote, and a few other things, and I'd say the Dems play the fear card far more often.

Good post, Jimmy. I think you'll enjoy this political cartoon.
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoon/display.cfm/24745/

The Dems. They can accomplish their goals easier against a bunch of appeasers. The Clinton Administration did its best not to deal with them. They're looking for that same situation again.

Hmmm...The Iraqis seem a little "cut and runny" too, since a majority of them want US troops out of Iraq. And what about them Brits? They're sounding a little "cut and runny", what with their Army chief talking about pulling out as soon as possible.

The talk of democratic appeasement is just that, talk. It is empty rhetoric devoid of any substance whatsoever. So, don't drink too deeply of the GOP kool-aid. You just might choke on it.

Hmmm...The Iraqis seem a little "cut and runny" too, since a majority of them want US troops out of Iraq. And what about them Brits? They're sounding a little "cut and runny", what with their Army chief talking about pulling out as soon as possible.

The talk of democratic appeasement is just that, talk. It is empty rhetoric devoid of any substance whatsoever. So, don't drink too deeply of the GOP kool-aid. You just might choke on it.

Psst.... giving foreign terrorists Constitutional Rights is appeasement, Bully. Promising the terrorists that we won't so much as lay a finger on them and we'll do everything to make them feel comfortable after they're captured is appeasment, Bully.
:tinfoil:

Not surprisingly, you're taking results of a questionable poll and making an even more questionable argument out of it.

You know what? I want the troops to pull out as soon as possible too. But not before it's time for them to do so. Pull out now, and all the effort has been for nothing. Everyone, Iraqi or American, wants them out of Iraq, it's a matter of when.

While I'm at it...

"Who would Jesus torture?"

...and where did Jesus end up?

They are banking on the media reporting to the American people that Iraq is a quagmire and a lost cause. Thats why they have stepped up the attacks. If they get the media to show the death and destruction in Iraq is increasing, then the media will relay the message of retreat to the American people. If they can get people to believe Iraq is a lost cause, then they will get Democrats elected and thus cut and run. The terrorists know they can't win in a real battle, so they do these hit and run tactics not to cause major damage but to influence the Western media into changing the minds of American voters. They want America to cut and run, so they want Americans to think its hopeless. That is what the terrorists are reading anyway. Novemeber 7th will tell us if the American people buy that message.

The answer is obvious, as they have stated many times that they see this war as "Bush's War", have villified the President, the head of our State Department, and our military. Come to think of it their allies, the Democrats, have done the same thing....

The answer is obvious, as they have stated many times that they see this war as "Bush's War", have villified the President, the head of our State Department, and our military. Come to think of it their allies, the Democrats, have done the same thing....

All of the above, but most importantly, they are banking on the 'timeline' from the democrats. All they have to do then is 'hang on.'

Forum List

Back