Terrorists Trying to Influence the Election. Why?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gem, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Just finished listening to an ABC report that stated that the attacks in Iraq are up during the month of October. The report stated that this could be an attempt by the insurgents to influence the mid-term elections.

My question to the board is this:

What outcome do you think the insurgents/terrorists in Iraq want in the mid-term elections?

If they are trying to influence the elections they obviously want either the Republicans or the Democrats to win. Which side do you think they want to win and why?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Democrats. It's been said on several posts, with quotes from articles. Same with NK, they think Dems will be more open with their 'diplomatic efforts.'

3. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I say the Republicans, but I honestly cannot fathom why. I'd really love to have a reason, but that's just how it seems.

4. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Seems clear to me, the Dem's!

Their platform is "cut, and run", negotiate, appease, give back everything, that thousands of Americans, and many others have paid for with their life's.

5. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    But it doesn't seem that's the effect of their actions. Isn't it just a little weird that they'd cause more fear, which would play into what the Republicans need to win? You have to admit they do play the fear card a bit too much.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually, too little. The administration has done a piss poor job of explaining the threats, what they know, and what they don't know.

7. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Call it the "fear card" if you like, but I see it as simply stating fact. Terrorists want to kill me, you, and every other American they can get their hands on. They want to destroy this country and end freedom and democracy, and it's something we basically ignored for far to long.

In my opinion, it's the Democrats that play the "fear card" far more often.

"They want to take away your Social Security!"
    "They want to give tax breaks to the rich, and it's the middle class that will pay for it!"
    (One of my personal favorites and an exaggeration of the abortion issue) "They want to make rape legal!"

Add to that all the fabricated stories surrounding voter fraud and people being prevented from casting their vote, and a few other things, and I'd say the Dems play the fear card far more often.

But to get to the topic at hand, terrorists pay attention. Any time someone speaks on TV news or has a quote in the paper or has something on the internet, it is a world wide audience. The terrorists see people like John Murtha speak and they know there is a portion of people that are in favor of pulling out of Iraq before things are settled. If they think they can push things that way, they will do it.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I think saying the increase in attacks "may" have to do with a desire to influence the election is a pretty big leap. And if they are attempts to influence the election, I think the actual effect is non-existent. As with your comments about the GOP's scare-tactic ad, I think someone who doesn't think we should be in Iraq would say, see.... we shouldn't be there, get rid of the bums in power (which they think already). Someone who thinks Iraq is part of the WOT and that "we're fighting them over there to keep from fighting them here" is going to say, see... we're doing the right thing if "the terrorists" hate us.

Me? I just think we're in the middle of a civil war there and need to let them blow each other up without our soldiers being in the middle of it... In other words, it wouldn't influence my vote at all. :beer:

9. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Most people are on one side of the aisle or the other, but they aren't actually the ones deciding elections. It's the small percentage of people that are in the middle that might be influenced.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway. It's not a matter of what the terrorists may or may not influence, it's a matter of what they think they may influence. Let's not forget the elections in Spain a couple of years ago after the attack there. From their point of view, it worked once, it could work again.

10. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Good post, Jimmy. I think you'll enjoy this political cartoon.
    http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoon/display.cfm/24745/