Terrorist behind September 11 strike was trained by Saddam

Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
Terrorist behind September 11 strike was trained by Saddam
By Con Coughlin
(Filed: 14/12/2003)
Telegraph UK

Iraq's coalition government claims that it has uncovered documentary proof that Mohammed Atta, the al-Qaeda mastermind of the September 11 attacks against the US, was trained in Baghdad by Abu Nidal, the notorious Palestinian terrorist.

Details of Atta's visit to the Iraqi capital in the summer of 2001, just weeks before he launched the most devastating terrorist attack in US history, are contained in a top secret memo written to Saddam Hussein, the then Iraqi president, by Tahir Jalil Habbush al-Tikriti, the former head of the Iraqi Intelligence Service.

The handwritten memo, a copy of which has been obtained exclusively by the Telegraph, is dated July 1, 2001 and provides a short resume of a three-day "work programme" Atta had undertaken at Abu Nidal's base in Baghdad.

In the memo, Habbush reports that Atta "displayed extraordinary effort" and demonstrated his ability to lead the team that would be "responsible for attacking the targets that we have agreed to destroy".

The second part of the memo, which is headed "Niger Shipment", contains a report about an unspecified shipment - believed to be uranium - that it says has been transported to Iraq via Libya and Syria.

Although Iraqi officials refused to disclose how and where they had obtained the document, Dr Ayad Allawi, a member of Iraq's ruling seven-man Presidential Committee, said the document was genuine.

"We are uncovering evidence all the time of Saddam's involvement with al-Qaeda," he said. "But this is the most compelling piece of evidence that we have found so far. It shows that not only did Saddam have contacts with al-Qaeda, he had contact with those responsible for the September 11 attacks."

Although Atta is believed to have been resident in Florida in the summer of 2001, he is known to have used more than a dozen aliases, and intelligence experts believe he could easily have slipped out of the US to visit Iraq.

Abu Nidal, who was responsible for the failed assassination of the Israeli ambassador to London in 1982, was based in Baghdad for more than two decades.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36124

Memo: 9-11 chief trained by Saddam
Document says Atta in Baghdad under Abu Nidal's tutelage just before attacks

Posted: December 13, 2003
8:05 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Mohammed Atta, the hijacker believed to be the mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, was trained in Baghdad by Palestinian terrorist Abu Nidal, claims Iraq's coalition government.

The leaders says a handwritten secret memo to Saddam Hussein gives details of a visit by Atta to the Iraqi capital in the summer of 2001, just weeks before the attacks, reports the London Telegraph.

"We are uncovering evidence all the time of Saddam's involvement with al-Qaida," said Dr Ayad Allawi, a member of Iraq's ruling seven-man presidential committee, according to the London paper.

"But this is the most compelling piece of evidence that we have found so far," he said. "It shows that not only did Saddam have contacts with al-Qaida, he had contact with those responsible for the September 11 attacks."

The memo, obtained exclusively by the Telegraph, was written by Tahir Jalil Habbush al-Tikriti, the former head of the Iraqi Intelligence Service.

Dated July 1, 2001, it outlines a three-day "work program" for Atta at Abu Nidal's base in Baghdad, the Telegraph said. Abu Nidal, headquartered in Baghdad for more than 20 years, was responsible for the failed assassination of the Israeli ambassador to London in 1982.

Habbush, according to the memo, says Atta "displayed extraordinary effort" and demonstrated his ability to lead the team that would be "responsible for attacking the targets that we have agreed to destroy," the Telegraph reported.

The paper said the memo's second part, titled "Niger Shipment," has a report on an unspecified shipment believed to be uranium. The memo says it had been transported to Iraq via Libya and Syria.

Allawi insists the document is genuine, although Iraqi officials refuse to disclose how they obtained it.

The Telegraph noted although Atta is known to have resided in Florida in the summer of 2001, intelligence experts believe he easily could have slipped out of the U.S. because he was known to have used more than a dozen aliases.

:eek: Smells like seafood. If this is true maybe I'll reconsider dijetlo's PNAC conspiracy theories.:D pardon my French, I'm speaking without reviewing the facts:laugh:

I just read this in the Telegraph and was going to post. If this is the real thing, wow!

Now to find the WMD...Though I for one really don't care other than for security's sake. Iraq was dangerous to US, IMHO.

"You infidel, this whole story is false! The story is unsubstantiated and is full of holes. Only second hand news that supports the insurgency can possibly be true."

"Oh, and by the way, now that Saddam is caught, we were behind you all the way - go USA!!"

I hope the liberals all choke on their coffee this morning.

:clap: slow but sure facts are coming out that support our being there. I dont care if wmd are ever found there, saddam needed to go and now he is , caught and I hope tried convicted and whatever his sentence is will be too nice

Interesting article Kathianne.
Allawi insists the document is genuine, although Iraqi officials refuse to disclose how they obtained it.

There's one problem. He's going to have to give up the providence of the documents if he wants to be taken seriously. Here's another.
Although Atta is believed to have been resident in Florida in the summer of 2001

The following is an excerpt of Attas' activities during that same period of time from an ABC site
June 29–July 1:Atta travels to Las Vegas, Nevada and stays at the Econo Lodge. Investigators say that Atta met with two other hijackers, Salem Alhazmi and Hani Hanjour during this trip and that both Marwan Al-Shehhi and Ziad Jarrah were also in Las Vegas. Four of these five men were on separate flights on September 11, leading investigators to believe that the meetings in Vegas took place in order to finalise the details of the attack.
June 4:A warrant is issued for Atta's arrest due to his no-show at his hearing for his traffic offence.
June 27:Atta flies from Fort Lauderdale to Boston.
July 1:Atta flies from Boston to NY.
July 3:Atta flies from Newark to Fort Lauderdale
July 7: Spanish Police say that according to airline records, Atta flies into Madrid, where he rents a car and then checks into a seaside hotel about 375 miles away, near Barcelona. He visits Spain extensively, logging more than 1200 miles in a rented car, and intelligence officials believe there were meetings with suspected members of bin Laden's network (who were recently arrested in Spain on charges unrelated to September 11). Hotel records confirm that Atta spends his last night at the Monstsant Hostal in Salou, where he pays with visa and registers under his own name. There are also reports that Atta went to a prison in southern Spain, where he asked to visit an Algerian being held on murder charges.The Guardian reports that this trip included a brief visit to Switzerland.
Allawi is an interesting figure, here's an excerpt from the Bio the Gaurdian maintains on him.
The INA (the group Assawi created and runs) has worked closely with the CIA and MI6 and is said to have received covert US funding and money from Saudi Arabia.
Maybe he's working an angle, maybe he's for real. The proof will be in the documentation. I'm not encouraged by the "worldnetdaily" source.

a member of the presidential 7 has stated the document was real. why do you have grounds to say it is not. where was atta between july7 and 9/11. I can drive 1200 miles in two days. if pushed hard I can do nostop in 16 hours so whats your point?He is in fla between 6/27 and 7/3. why did 40,000 american get spent on flying time in fla? some 300 hours. how much of that time was left on 9/12 ? please state all the facts not just certain ones. this isnt highschool and I am not out to win anything. in posting the timeline why are there so many holes of time? where was he after 7/3? if his base wasnt in fla why did he fly in and out of fla? or line up flying lessons there. also maybe Allawi has a mole somewhere and is not ready to un-cover said mole.

Originally posted by jon_forward
a member of the presidential 7 has stated the document was real. why do you have grounds to say it is not.

There were several groups of Iraqis before the war who worked with/for the DOD, CIA, MI6, etc. to overthrow Hussein. In the process they gathered a lot of intelligence (that later turned out to be bogus) for us.We rewarded them with thier positions on the Provisional Council. Nobody in Iraq knew these guys prior to the invasion, most Iraqis still don't know who they are. That's your source.
where was atta between july7 and 9/11...in posting the timeline why are there so many holes of time? where was he after 7/3? if his base wasnt in fla why did he fly in and out of fla? or line up flying lessons there.

Click the link, it will tell you. It appears to be from ABC. I don't think it is conclusive proof that he wasn't in Baghdad, but until I see one on an FBI site I am willing to beleive it is the accepted timeline for Attas' movements. As for the holes in it, it appears they limited themselves to what they could prove with documentation. Traffick citations, airline flights, hotel/rental car reciepts. A date missing from the timeline appears to mean there is no documentation for his whereabouts.
Other than a date of July 1st for the memo, I didn't see a date for the training mentioned in the article. That would be handy for our discussion.
also maybe Allawi has a mole somewhere and is not ready to un-cover said mole.
Sure, that's possible, I don't discount it entirely. It's equally possible that he made the documents up because he told the CIA and MI6 a bunch of stuff before the war and now they are miffed at him. I think it is interesting because it reffers to documents, documents that could be verifiable. That would elevate beleivability of the charges he is leveling.

been to so many sites today my head is spinning, may be guardain not sure. i am pointing out that 1200 miles is not a lot of miles so he may have been there for as few as 2 or 3 days[spain].. with the 300 hrs of flight time split how many ways? lets assume 4 =75 hrs@. 20 hrs per week,still is one month,part of july and most of aug. we did not pick 7 people off the streets to be the interm leaders of Iraq. personally I dont care who they are as long as they take the iraqi government into democracy in good time.

for the record wnd just cuts to the chase on articles like this. it's paraphrasing the first article from the telegraph. so to clear things up the first article is from the telegragh followed by a shorter cut to the chase version from wnd.

Forum List

Back