Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Two sombre warnings for Canada
Terrorists will exploit open society: Israeli envoy

Ian MacLeod The Ottawa Citizen

Thursday, October 21, 2004

It is only a matter of time before terrorists exploit the openness and diversity of Canadian society and strike here, Israel's new ambassador to Canada warned yesterday.

Alan Baker said Canadians must realize additional restrictions on rights and freedoms are necessary to counter the relative ease with which terror groups can now infiltrate Canadian society and launch attacks here, against the United States or on Israeli and other foreign interests in Canada.

His comments to the Citizen's editorial board come as a parliamentary committee prepares to review a sweeping series of anti-terrorism laws enacted in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks and which many legal and civil liberties experts believe already violate fundamental rules of law and democratic rights.

More

I think it can be applied to any open and democratic society, not only Canada. The question is where is a balance b/n security and freedom. Should we go the way of totalitarian goverment or "give me liberty or give me death" or something in between.

I know the US Ambassador Celluci, as well as the Israeli ambassador, has brought this up many times how he wishes for stricter security. It has been asked that way integrate our immigration board with the United States, have a common border policy, align military policy in the name of security. Israel has suggested joint immigration screening on people from arab countries.

However, I cannot see how we can be safer by rejecting some of the principles and sovreignty that makes us Canadian. The stark truth is that never has been a terrorist attack on Canada. The closest we've had was the "Air India" bombing in our airspace that was no less tragic, but was targetted by Sikh fundamentalist towards India.

While we have an expressed responsibility to our ally and friends to the south and indeed Israel, it does not become a carte blanche to override Canadian sovereignty.

In addition, bilateral relations have soured under last few years due to foreign policy blunders on both sides of the border. Closing of the borders to Canadian livestock and meat, softwood lumber tarrifs, new tarrifs on pork, US taking the Canadian Wheat Board to the WTO, overfishing in the Pacific Northwest, ANWAR drilling, deportation of Canadian citizens to countries other than Canada. It's been a very rough ride. There simply isn't the sense of comradery at the higher diplomatic levels that would convince Canada to help the US at Canada's own political, social and economic expense.

With Israel, Canada doesn't take much stock in Israeli security concerns ever since the Mossad used Canadian passports for their agents in arab countries.

A few things could be done by the US, Israeli and other nations which to have a change in Canadian security policy.

1. Leave Canada's foreign policy to Canada. When countries demonize diplomatically us for not entering the Iraq War, it doesn't really make us want to align domestic security policy.
2. Use the UN. It's not perfect, it's flawed, but our Prime Ministers have a nasty habit of using it. Business with Canada, means for better or worse, business with the UN.
3. Immigration is touchy subject. Canada's historical roots are in open immigration. Open immigration may not be other countries' style, but it is ours. Screening select Canadians based on their country of origin and deporting them to countries other than Canada will completely rule out joint or even a co-operative immigration policy.
4. Give and take. Given Canada's relative stability, we're not going to change thing without something in return. Morally unjust, perhaps, but you can't expect change without allieviating some Canadian concerns. Though our past diplomatic policy was: "Bend over, and like it." Things have changed since the Chretien government.

Just because part of canada's rich heritage includes complete cultural relativism, doesn't mean you have to continue in that way. Turn back, for your safety and ours.

I mean why deal with terrorism preemptively when you can wait till thousands of people die, right Isaac?

Canada is so beligerently anti american that your "unwilling to align your policy to ours" until you get a gold coated apology? That's bs, Isaac.

rtwngAvngr said:
Just because part of canada's rich heritage includes complete cultural relativism, doesn't mean you have to continue in that way. Turn back, for your safety and ours.

I mean why deal with terrorism preemptively when you can wait till thousands of people die, right Isaac?

Canada is so beligerently anti american that your "unwilling to align your policy to ours" until you get a gold coated apology? That's bs, Isaac.

No, it's called being a seperate country. Your reluctance to acknowledge that is pure arrogance.

Isaac Brock said:
No, it's called being a seperate country. Your reluctance to acknowledge that is pure arrogance.

I know it's a separate country, assmeister. Your refusal to tend your own border just to be oppositional is the attitude of a petulant child.

Sorry about the assmeister comment.

rtwngAvngr said:
I know it's a separate country, assmeister. Your refusal to tend your own border just to be oppositional is the attitude of a petulant child.

Sorry about the assmeister comment.

Our border is tended just fine. Last time I checked it was the US that had the swarms of illegal immigrants coming in waves across the border, not Canada. We can exchange witty comments back and forth, till the Mad Cow's come home, but until the US border is secure, it's the pot calling the kettle black.

Isaac Brock said:
Our border is tended just fine. Last time I checked it was the US that had the swarms of illegal immigrants coming in waves across the border, not Canada. We can exchange witty comments back and forth, till the Mad Cow's come home, but until the US border is secure, it's the pot calling the kettle black.

Yep. Fob off your responsibility on the U.S. It's all the rage. Then blame us when the world isn't perfect.

rtwngAvngr said:
Yep. Fob off your responsibility on the U.S. It's all the rage. Then blame us when the world isn't perfect.

So it's Canada's responsibility to protect all of your borders? Wow, that's news to me. Quick! Canada Customs! Send your agents to the Mexican border and Florida! The US is having problems. For King and Country!

Isaac Brock said:
So it's Canada's responsibility to protect all of your borders? Wow, that's news to me. Quick! Canada Customs! Send your agents to the Mexican border and Florida! The US is having problems. For King and Country!

I thought we were discussing canada? Your unwilling to give arabs a closer look at the boreders because it's racist. What a stupid, out of touch, head in the sand policy. And you want to criticize us? Your arguments, sir, are unmerited and meritless.

rtwngAvngr said:
I thought we were discussing canada? Your unwilling to give arabs a closer look at the boreders because it's racist. What a stupid, out of touch, head in the sand policy. And you want to criticize us? Your arguments, sir, are unmerited and meritless.

And yet you refuse to acknowledge your own problems, while dictating what we have to do. Do as I say, not as I do, eh?

Isaac Brock said:
And yet you refuse to acknowledge your own problems, while dictating what we have to do. Do as I say, not as I do, eh?

I don't refuse to acknowledge anything. This thread wasn't about our problems. It's about yours. Let's not change the subject. That's so childish.

rtwngAvngr said:
I don't refuse to acknowledge anything. This thread wasn't about our problems. It's about yours. Let's not change the subject. That's so childish.

No it's exactly about it. This thread is on other countries' willingness to change Canadian domestic policy. It's completely on topic. But that's okay, to your credit sir, it was a pretty good diversionary tactic!

Isaac Brock said:
No it's exactly about it. This thread is on other countries' willingness to change Canadian domestic policy. It's completely on topic. But that's okay, to your credit sir, it was a pretty good diversionary tactic!

So it's more about Canada's policy, you admit it? You're the diverter, diverter!

rtwngAvngr said:
So it's more about Canada's policy, you admit it? You're the diverter, diverter!

Hmmm... let's take a look at what I exactly said.

Reading full sentences does help, you might want to try it sometime. It's really does help comprehension!

Isaac Brock said:
Hmmm... let's take a look at what I exactly said.

Reading full sentences does help, you might want to try it sometime. It's really does help comprehension!

Right. Other countries willingness to change canadian policy. Two nouns: "Other countries willingness" and "canada's policy". I don't see "U.S. policy" in the list of nouns taken from your sentence. But look what is in the list: "canada's policy". This means "canada's policy" is on topic and "U.S. policy" is not.

rtwngAvngr said:
Right. Other countries willingness to change canadian policy. Two nouns: "Other countries willingness" and "canada's policy". I don't see "U.S. policy" in the list of nouns taken from your sentence. But look what is in the list: "canada's policy". This means "canada's policy" is on topic and "U.S. policy" is not.

So the US is not another country? How unfortunate, though, ironically, I think the Brits might be pleased to know their former colony has renounced itself as a country!

Forum List

Back