Terrorism vs. Hate Crime

Terrorism is a manmade disaster and hate crimes are only perpetrated by white people

It depends on the type of terrorism. Some terrorist acts are love crimes.
:confused:

It was sarcasm.
I don't understand the concept of a "hate crime". The way I see it, any crime that has a victim has an element of hate to it. Otherwise, we would have "love crimes" in addition to "hate crimes".
Well...there are crimes of passion.

IMO, there is no difference between a hate crime and an act of terrorism...both are designed to terrorize a group. It always mystifies me that many will be okay with bringing terrorist charges against someone but hesitant about bringing hate crime charges against someone.

I was hoping someone could explain the difference.

a crime is a crime to say similar crimes differ in seriousness because what the perp was thinking is fucking ridiculous.

It was sarcasm.
I don't understand the concept of a "hate crime". The way I see it, any crime that has a victim has an element of hate to it. Otherwise, we would have "love crimes" in addition to "hate crimes".

IMO, there is no difference between a hate crime and an act of terrorism...both are designed to terrorize a group. It always mystifies me that many will be okay with bringing terrorist charges against someone but hesitant about bringing hate crime charges against someone.

I wish someone could explain why certain crimes can carry a charge like "hate crime", yet others do not. As I said, any crime that has a victim has an element of hate to it.

It was sarcasm.

This probably wherein your confusion lies.

Definitions of Terrorism -- International and Domestic Bodies' Definitions of Terrorism

However the definition of Hate Crime:
Which IMHO is stupid unless the investigator is a mind reader.

http://www.aolsvc.merriam-webster.aol.com/dictionary/hate%20crime

Last edited:
It was sarcasm.

This probably wherein your confusion lies.

Definitions of Terrorism -- International and Domestic Bodies' Definitions of Terrorism

However the definition of Hate Crime:
Which IMHO is stupid unless the investigator is a mind reader.

hate crime - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
For the record, charges of hate crimes must be proved...i.e. there must be concrete evidence that the crime was committed because of some underlying "anti" factor.

Your link on terrorism gives, and admits to not giving, a definite definition of terrorism.

To the poster above you, military bodies can commit acts of terrorism but so can non-military bodies. :cuckoo:

For the record, charges of hate crimes must be proved...i.e. there must be concrete evidence that the crime was committed because of some underlying "anti" factor.

Your link on terrorism gives, and admits to not giving, a definite definition of terrorism.

To the poster above you, military bodies can commit acts of terrorism but so can non-military bodies. :cuckoo:

Does that mean it is a "thought crime"?
As in somebody being charged with a crime because of what they were thinking?

I'm not sure. If you leave notes around saying you're going to kill all ******* and then you bomb some black churches is that a thought crime?

If so, how does that differ from terrorism?

I'm not sure. If you leave notes around saying you're going to kill all ******* and then you bomb some black churches is that a thought crime?

Bombing the churches is a crime. Would the church some how be 'less bombed' if it was a random church bombing?

Bombing the churches is a crime. Would the church some how be 'less bombed' if it was a random church bombing?
No, but you aren't even making an effort to answer the questions I posed. :lol:

btw, I'm not trying to argue the validity of hate crime laws or terrorism laws. I really am conflicted about them both.

I'm just trying to understand the difference between the two.

Yeah, like if you go to church and accidentally forget to take your bomb out of your pocket. Woopsie! Same crime as writing a blog about bombing churches and then bombing a church...Same difference! :doubt:

Last edited:

No, but you aren't even making an effort to answer the questions I posed. :lol:

Perhaps that is because I fail to understand the concept of a hate crime vs any other crime.

Lets use your example of somebody specifically targeting black churches for bombing. I would say the person is trying to instill terror, so it would be a terrorist act.
Now, lets say somebody specifically targets churches (regardless of the skin color of the worshipers) for bombing. I would say the person is trying to instill terror, so it would be a terrorist act.

Forum List

Back