Terrible Pharmacy Mistake

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
It goes without saying that there's never a good time to have a pharmacy screw up your medication. But a pregnant woman just became the victim of a colossal error. She went into her Colorado pharmacy for an antibiotic and ended up with an abortion drug instead.

Did you just cringe a little? OK, a lot? The story of Mareena Silva has been haunting me since I read about the Colorado mom-to-be who unwittingly took a medicine that could spell the end to her dream of being a mom. Taking medicine -- any medicine -- when you're pregnant is scary enough. Now we have to add this fear?

Methotrexate, the drug accidentally prescribed to Silva, can be used to end pregnancies. But by and large it's used for cancer patients. It's like a bazillion other drugs -- ever listen to the TV ads where they say "consult your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding"? -- not recommended for pregnant women but entirely useful for women who aren't pregnant. So let's throw the abortion issue out here.

This isn't about abortion drugs. It's about pharmacies and the need to be that much more careful than your average business to get things right. Because pharmacists are the front lines of health care. A doctor writes a prescription, but a pharmacist actually puts a drug in a patient's hands.

And like Mareena Silva, most of us just open the bottle and chuck it back. We have no way of knowing whether that little pill in there is the right one for us. How would we? We're good at what we do in our jobs. We expect a pharmacist to be good at what he or she does.

Pregnant Mom Got Abortion Drug in Pharmacy Screw Up | The Stir

How horrible....I hope this lady and her husband have a healthy child despite the mistake. Makes me wonder -- are pharmacies under some extra pressure lately? I know I see a whole lot more teenagers and young adults "helping" back there that I ever did before.

How could a patient protect themselves from this?

I swapped pharmacies a couple of years ago. Once they gave me the wrong medicine and another time they reversed the labels on 2 prescriptions of mine with very different dosage requirements. then there was the time they lost my narcotic pain pill prescription and claimed I never even gave it to them.
I told them the DEA would be investigating and they quickly found it.

It goes without saying that there's never a good time to have a pharmacy screw up your medication. But a pregnant woman just became the victim of a colossal error. She went into her Colorado pharmacy for an antibiotic and ended up with an abortion drug instead.

Did you just cringe a little? OK, a lot? The story of Mareena Silva has been haunting me since I read about the Colorado mom-to-be who unwittingly took a medicine that could spell the end to her dream of being a mom. Taking medicine -- any medicine -- when you're pregnant is scary enough. Now we have to add this fear?

Methotrexate, the drug accidentally prescribed to Silva, can be used to end pregnancies. But by and large it's used for cancer patients. It's like a bazillion other drugs -- ever listen to the TV ads where they say "consult your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding"? -- not recommended for pregnant women but entirely useful for women who aren't pregnant. So let's throw the abortion issue out here.

This isn't about abortion drugs. It's about pharmacies and the need to be that much more careful than your average business to get things right. Because pharmacists are the front lines of health care. A doctor writes a prescription, but a pharmacist actually puts a drug in a patient's hands.

And like Mareena Silva, most of us just open the bottle and chuck it back. We have no way of knowing whether that little pill in there is the right one for us. How would we? We're good at what we do in our jobs. We expect a pharmacist to be good at what he or she does.

Pregnant Mom Got Abortion Drug in Pharmacy Screw Up | The Stir

How horrible....I hope this lady and her husband have a healthy child despite the mistake. Makes me wonder -- are pharmacies under some extra pressure lately? I know I see a whole lot more teenagers and young adults "helping" back there that I ever did before.

How could a patient protect themselves from this?

"I came back and I looked at the bottle and it wasn't my name," she said.

The methotrexate was intended for a 59-year-old woman with the exact same last name as Silva's and a similar first name.

Making sure YOUR name is on the bottle might be a good first step.

• Banned
I go to the pharmacy mebbe once or twice a year, but unlike IMEURU, I do not have one guy I especially trust. I go to the grocery's pharmacy, because it is convenient and might be cheaper, and some kid about 16 waits on me. They have so many back there, they are actually crowded...I shudder to think how many scripts they fill per hour. I'm sure the joint has a licensed pharmacist but I dun even know what that person looks like.

This is a frightening story and I WILL be reading my label before I leave, you can be sure. (But if they had put the wrong medicine in, I'd never know it.)

I love my pharmacist. Actually, I have two. One at the rexall store, the other at Ralph's. Both know my history, what meds I take without even having to look in the computer and both have saved me lots of money cuz I go to them before I go to the doctor since I don't have insurance.
And I also count my pills. Not because I don't trust them to rip me off, but because people make mistakes. Sometimes that 30 day supply is only 28 days. So yeah...looking at your name on the bottle, trusting in your pharmacist and counting...thats a good start to anything.

Sometimes they have switched pill design (the makers of the pills) and once the pharmacist forgot to tell me. When I got home, it didnt look right, so I called him. He apologized and said yes, same pill same dosage, different design.
Familiarize yourself with what they look like, the color, shape, size and what is on the pill itself (number, code, name, etc).

Sometimes they have switched pill design (the makers of the pills) and once the pharmacist forgot to tell me. When I got home, it didnt look right, so I called him. He apologized and said yes, same pill same dosage, different design.
Familiarize yourself with what they look like, the color, shape, size and what is on the pill itself (number, code, name, etc).

One of my wife's prescriptions changed from pills to capsules. When I went to pick it up, the assistant had to get the pharmacist to come over and explain the change to me before I could purchase it. She explained that it was their policy that any change had to be understood by the patient, or their representative, and that I needed to sign off on it.

I was glad they did that when I got it home, and she gave me that WTF look.

I saw this on the news today. granted the pharmacy screwed up, but didn't this person have to read the lable to figure out the dosage of the medication? hope she reads the lables on the baby formula so that she doesn't accidently give her kid half and half.

My pharmacist puts bright yellow labels on the top of the lid where I have to read it before I can even open it. The pill makers have changed the shape and color of a few meds I take and that's what he has always done..probably their policy too. But he forgot to do it that one time. He was very embarassed about it but like I said...I trust him explicitly so it was no biggie to me.
Glad your pharmacy has that policy, Rat.

There's nothing I take on a regular basis, so I have no way of knowing what the pills should look like. In the part of Cleveland where I live, as far as I know, there is no Ye Olde Pharmacy Shoppes. It's all Walgreens, CVS, etc. And they are all just as bad as the pharmacy at my grocery as far as hiring kids are concerned.

There's nothing I take on a regular basis, so I have no way of knowing what the pills should look like. In the part of Cleveland where I live, as far as I know, there is no Ye Olde Pharmacy Shoppes. It's all Walgreens, CVS, etc. And they are all just as bad as the pharmacy at my grocery as far as hiring kids are concerned.

Go to the CVS like we do. They are far superior to Walgreens.

We switched 4 years ago, and have never looked back.

Go to the CVS like we do. They are far superior to Walgreens.

We switched 4 years ago, and have never looked back.

I really hate the CVS, Rattie. But I agree with you about Walgreens...I think I'll look and see if there are any locally-owned pharmacies still around.

snip

the drug accidentally prescribed to Silva,

This this is NOT the pharmacists or pharmacies problem or mistake. They filled a prescription that was presented to them.

Did the doctor know she was pregnant? Did she TELL the pharmacy that she was pregnant and ask about the drugs?

I am sorry, personal responsibility has to kick in here somewhere.

snip

This this is NOT the pharmacists or pharmacies problem or mistake. They filled a prescription that was presented to them.

Did the doctor know she was pregnant? Did she TELL the pharmacy that she was pregnant and ask about the drugs?

Actually, it was the mistake of whomever rang up the prescription.

Whoever it was handed the woman a prescription for another woman with a similar name.

snip

Whoever it was handed the woman a prescription for another woman with a similar name.

It doesn't say anything about that in the link. It says very clearly that the drug was prescribed to her.

snip

It doesn't say anything about that in the link. It says very clearly that the drug was prescribed to her.

It's in this report about it.

Pharmacy mistakenly gives pregnant woman abortion pill

The methotrexate was intended for a 59-year-old woman with the exact same last name as Silva's and a similar first name.

I hardly consider Ralph's ye olde pharmacist shoppe. But I also don't live in Cleveland.

Different link then the OP.

Then yes, the pharmacy is in the wrong. The first thing we learned when administrating drugs was:

Right patient
Right drug
Right does
Right route

They failed 3 of 4.

Different link then the OP.

Then yes, the pharmacy is in the wrong. The first thing we learned when administrating drugs was:

Right patient
Right drug
Right does
Right route

They failed 3 of 4.

That they did. I thought the story in the OP seemed strange, so I dug a little deeper.

I hope the pharmacy has really good insurance if she loses the baby. They'll need it.

I would also support a criminal charge of negligent homicide in this case against whoever gave her those pills. There is no excuse for this. My pharmacy always asks me to verify my name and address when I pick up prescriptions for my wife or myself. Why didn't this one?

Forum List

Back