Terrible Pharmacy Mistake

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Madeline, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Pregnant Mom Got Abortion Drug in Pharmacy Screw Up | The Stir

How horrible....I hope this lady and her husband have a healthy child despite the mistake. Makes me wonder -- are pharmacies under some extra pressure lately? I know I see a whole lot more teenagers and young adults "helping" back there that I ever did before.

How could a patient protect themselves from this?

2. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Have a trusted pharmacist.

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I swapped pharmacies a couple of years ago. Once they gave me the wrong medicine and another time they reversed the labels on 2 prescriptions of mine with very different dosage requirements. then there was the time they lost my narcotic pain pill prescription and claimed I never even gave it to them.
    I told them the DEA would be investigating and they quickly found it.

4. Rat in the Hat

Rat in the Hat Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,215
    Making sure YOUR name is on the bottle might be a good first step.

5. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I go to the pharmacy mebbe once or twice a year, but unlike IMEURU, I do not have one guy I especially trust. I go to the grocery's pharmacy, because it is convenient and might be cheaper, and some kid about 16 waits on me. They have so many back there, they are actually crowded...I shudder to think how many scripts they fill per hour. I'm sure the joint has a licensed pharmacist but I dun even know what that person looks like.

This is a frightening story and I WILL be reading my label before I leave, you can be sure. (But if they had put the wrong medicine in, I'd never know it.)

6. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    I love my pharmacist. Actually, I have two. One at the rexall store, the other at Ralph's. Both know my history, what meds I take without even having to look in the computer and both have saved me lots of money cuz I go to them before I go to the doctor since I don't have insurance.
    And I also count my pills. Not because I don't trust them to rip me off, but because people make mistakes. Sometimes that 30 day supply is only 28 days. So yeah...looking at your name on the bottle, trusting in your pharmacist and counting...thats a good start to anything.

7. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Sometimes they have switched pill design (the makers of the pills) and once the pharmacist forgot to tell me. When I got home, it didnt look right, so I called him. He apologized and said yes, same pill same dosage, different design.
    Familiarize yourself with what they look like, the color, shape, size and what is on the pill itself (number, code, name, etc).

8. Rat in the Hat

Rat in the Hat Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,215
    One of my wife's prescriptions changed from pills to capsules. When I went to pick it up, the assistant had to get the pharmacist to come over and explain the change to me before I could purchase it. She explained that it was their policy that any change had to be understood by the patient, or their representative, and that I needed to sign off on it.

I was glad they did that when I got it home, and she gave me that WTF look.

9. bikercat

bikercat Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I saw this on the news today. granted the pharmacy screwed up, but didn't this person have to read the lable to figure out the dosage of the medication? hope she reads the lables on the baby formula so that she doesn't accidently give her kid half and half.

10. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    My pharmacist puts bright yellow labels on the top of the lid where I have to read it before I can even open it. The pill makers have changed the shape and color of a few meds I take and that's what he has always done..probably their policy too. But he forgot to do it that one time. He was very embarassed about it but like I said...I trust him explicitly so it was no biggie to me.
    Glad your pharmacy has that policy, Rat.