Terri Schiavo's Feeding Tube to be Removed on Friday

ScreamingEagle said:
No, just wondering what if. It appears that Terri can see, react, and smile.
She's not just an inert body laying there.

If society just does away with such cases, I wonder where the impetus to ever help such people will come from? That seems to be a great loss for society.
the last that I heard, brain cells don't heal, at least not a significant amount that changes anything. things may be different now, though.

SmarterThanYou said:
so when you get married we can expect you to make out a living will based on every conceivable incident with appropriate contingencies in case you're incapacitated and can't inform doctors, lawyers, judges, or politicians what you're wishes would be.
Nope, because I don't care. If I become brain dead my family can do whatever they want with me. If they can't pay for my care, fine, let me die. If they want to keep me around because it makes them happy, that's fine too. It doesn't matter to me.

are you currently writing your representative to overturn the assisted suicide law?
No.

I think if you want to kill yourself you should seek therapy. If that fails you should get a gun, and leave a note. Or find some other method, just don't a.) inconvenience anyone else (i.e. jumping in front of a bus, or off a highway overpass), and don't b.) needlessly traumatize others (i.e. leaving a particular gruesome scene for a spouse or child to discover).

I don't see the point of bringing a doctor into it. If you are so determined do it yourself. If you are incapacitated somehow, you're just going to need to be creative.

By the way, was Terry in pain and great discomfort prior to what she will face now, since the tube is gone?

Every time I saw a video of her, she didn't look like she was in pain.

Isn't quality of life a rather subjective, personal thing, that can't necessarily be dictated/determined fairly, by scientists, and courts?

Eightball said:
By the way, was Terry in pain and great discomfort prior to what she will face now, since the tube is gone?

Every time I saw a video of her, she didn't look like she was in pain.

Isn't quality of life a rather subjective, personal thing, that can't necessarily be dictated/determined fairly, by scientists, and courts?
which would be why someone would confide in their spouse about what quality of life is too low to live.

If all who wish to see Mrs. Schiavo's suffering to continue actually knew what they were talking about, the whole debate would be moot, because they'd want to see her PEG tube removed too.

Bullypulpit said:
If all who wish to see Mrs. Schiavo's suffering to continue actually knew what they were talking about, the whole debate would be moot, because they'd want to see her PEG tube removed too.
do fill us in please Dr. Bully !!

Bullypulpit said:

Mr. Bully, what was her actual suffering prior to what's going to happen in the next couple weeks now that the feeding/hydration is cut off?

Will her quality of life get better in the next 2 weeks prior to her death by starvation and dehydration?

Answer that Mr. Bully?

If she had 20% brain left.........did that cause her to suffer?

Was she in pain Mr. Bully?

Well this is all about to be a moot point seing as how the tube has ben removed. Congradulations SmarterThanYou, a woman is about to be executed in a way that is considered cruel and unusual for serial killers and murderers. But hey, she was disabled. It's not like she was a real person.

theim said:
Well this is all about to be a moot point seing as how the tube has ben removed. Congradulations SmarterThanYou, a woman is about to be executed in a way that is considered cruel and unusual for serial killers and murderers. But hey, she was disabled. It's not like she was a real person.
are you done spinning? you consider it an execution, i consider it a release from a tortured existence. She was way more than disabled. disabled is not being able to walk or missing an arm. Terri is missing 80% functionality of her brain. that last 20% operates most of her basic life functions. BASIC, means she can breathe, her heart beats, her bowels move. Thats it.
Would you like to be nothing more than a human waste manufacturer?

SmarterThanYou said:
don't even try that. you're taking a simple question and adding a whole scenario to it that wasn't even asked of me.

You were asked if you would do the same thing if your wife was in Terri's situation. Were you not? I simply asked if you would do the same thing Michael Shivo is doing. If you dont want to answer that then dont but dont pretend as its something completely different.

"Would you like to be nothing more than a human waste manufacturer?"

That's pretty sad.

She ain't a human cause she has to have 100% brain working........otherwise she's just taking up space.

Besides........she's better off this way. 2 weeks of gruesome starvation and dehydration is but a small spit in the bucket compared to her eternity without her previous condition.

Yeah, just keep convincing yourself of that........

Some day..........you too may be at someone's mercy, and you can't communicate to anyone what your true wishes are.........yet, it's decided whether you like it or not.

I still can't believe the human waste machine......thing.

Remember how Jews were thought of back in the 1930-40's in Germany........Lower life forms.......not deserving any respect........in fact.....the retarded, and genetically mutated........were also considered non-humans too. Takes the guilt away when you mercifully "snuff'em".

Just doing'em a favor.

I still will ask this again...........Was Terry suffering in her present state before the tube removal?

Eightball said:

That's pretty sad.

She ain't a human cause she has to have 100% brain working........otherwise she's just taking up space.

Besides........she's better off this way. 2 weeks of gruesome starvation and dehydration is but a small spit in the bucket compared to her eternity without her previous condition.

Some day..........you too may be at someone's mercy, and you can't communicate to anyone what your true wishes are.........yet, it's decided whether you like it or not.

Remember how Jews were thought of back in the 1930-40's in Germany........Lower life forms.......not deserving any respect........in fact.....the retarded, and genetically mutated........were also considered non-humans too. Takes the guilt away when you mercifully "snuff'em".

Just doing'em a favor.

I still will ask this again...........Was Terry suffering in her present state before the tube removal?

According to Bullly on another thread, who seems to know a lot more about this than I do, with modern pain management techniques, there is no reason she has to suffer for the next two weeks.

You were asked if you would do the same thing if your wife was in Terri's situation. Were you not? I simply asked if you would do the same thing Michael Shivo is doing. If you dont want to answer that then dont but dont pretend as its something completely different.
no, thats not what I was asked. Heres bonnie's question, quoted exactly from her post.

Bonnie said:
Just one more question for you..........Could you be the one to pull the plug and watch her die??

That has nothing to do with any situation other than pulling the plug and watching her die.

SmarterThanYou said:
are you done spinning? you consider it an execution, i consider it a release from a tortured existence. She was way more than disabled. disabled is not being able to walk or missing an arm. Terri is missing 80% functionality of her brain. that last 20% operates most of her basic life functions. BASIC, means she can breathe, her heart beats, her bowels move. Thats it.
Would you like to be nothing more than a human waste manufacturer?

"human waste manufacturer"?! You know, when I said "it's not like she was a real person" I wasn't really expecting you to agree.

ReillyT said:
According to Bullly on another thread, who seems to know a lot more about this than I do, with modern pain management techniques, there is no reason she has to suffer for the next two weeks.

So make her comatose with heavy drugging......so she doesn't suffer being snuffed by the State.

Gosh, seems like they're more humane with lethal injection to prisoners. Her lethal injection will go until her poor heart gives up from lack of nutrition/protein/water.

Well, we've crossed the line..........I'm afraid of "no return".

Soylent Green or Soylent Orange anyone...........?

Eightball said:

That's pretty sad.

spin spin spin. get the point that terri has told her husband she wouldn't want to live like this. is she human? yes. is it a quality of life that she would want to live with? ask her husband.

Eightball said:

So because she's unthinking and unable to comprehend her condition, that warrants invalidating her wish of not wanting to live a life of this?

Eightball said:
If i'm in this condition I certainly hope my wife has the strength to follow through with not forcing me to live like that.

Eightball said:

Just doing'em a favor.
again with the jew thing, ridiculous.

Eightball said:
she indicated that she would consider it suffering before her collapse.

theim said:
"human waste manufacturer"?! You know, when I said "it's not like she was a real person" I wasn't really expecting you to agree.
oh stop it. the extremeness of your ideology is disgusting.

Is she a real person? yes, she's a real person who has almost no cognitive ability. Her body functions and that appears to be it.

Eightball said:
So make her comatose with heavy drugging......so she doesn't suffer being snuffed by the State.

She has been deprived of cognitive function. What difference does it make if she is drugged? It kills the pain and it can't interfere with cognitive ability she doesn't have in the first place

Smarterthanyou:

I could only be a spin doctor while talking to a person with a moniker that reeks of "condescending".

I noticed that you use the old "spin" description quite a bit. Really, lacks substance when debating.

How about you answering.........Was Terry's life before the tube removal......a painful, distressful life.......of suffering, like a dieing, cancer victim? Is quality of life determined by measure of brain function. I thought that pain would be the ultimate factor in most cases. If Terry was vegetative, then would she even realize a feeling or knowledge of suffering, and then need it brought to an end?

Just more spin for you condescending smart folks.

Forum List

Back