Terminology questions ... It's not "race baiting" but what is it?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Mitt 2012!

We already have one.

The problem is we have an ignorant, superstitious party that believes science is a faith, evolution a lie and climate change a conspiracy who thinks education is overrated and who wants to start more wars. They can't see past the black. It's because of their "confederate" base.

From: http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...-knows-how-to-make-tough-smart-decisions.html

What is the term for what rdean did when he said, "They can't see past the black."

It's not "race baiting" as I learned that concept, yet it's baiting and it's racial. So what would you call it?

One umbrella term I've heard which I think applies is "race hustling". What else might apply?

• Banned
"Race baiting" is talking bad about a race. And in the extreme it's things like trying to get someone to do something wrong by talking bad about them.

Like a group of white guys talking about how violent black people are when they know a black guy is in ear shot. Trying to set him up to play into their hands and do something violent.

Rdean is using race in order to bait white people - specifically white conservatives - but he's not talking bad about white people directly. So that's why "race baiting" doesn't seem to me to apply.

"Race baiting" is talking bad about a race. And in the extreme it's things like trying to get someone to do something wrong by talking bad about them.

Like a group of white guys talking about how violent black people are when they know a black guy is in ear shot. Trying to set him up to play into their hands and do something violent.

Rdean is using race in order to bait white people - specifically white conservatives - but he's not talking bad about white people directly. So that's why "race baiting" doesn't seem to me to apply.

No, race baiting is not just "talking bad about a race." It includes using false claims and accusations in order to elicit a response based on race. It is, fundamentally, a racist practice itself.

• Banned
Yeah, my casual definition was way too casual. The version I had read online right before I typed my post read, "the making of verbal attacks against members of a racial group", and that was my loose version of what they said.

That "verbal attacks" definition didn't feel precise enough for me. So my bad for blurring it even more.

Anyway, I would still think rdean's trolling falls into a different zone from "race baiting". Your second post says you know the term, but your first post is opposite of what I believed. So now you've got me turned around. lol

Forum List

Back