Terminator, Rise of the Machines

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Seriously! WTF?!

hondas-asimo-robot-met-president-obama-today-in-japan.jpg

Stick a little weapons system on it's graspable hands, give it a rudimentary targetting system and we're off to the races.

This would be funny if it wasn't either a) what they're already doing in a military lab somewhere, or b) the Terminator movies were never made.

Robocop, Terminator, I, Robot - are people not paying attention to these things as warnings of what not to do with technology?

asimo-welcomes-obama.jpg

Can't you just imagine a gun in its' hand? Who the hell okayed that picture? Ever hear of photoshop? :)

"Don't shoot! I surrender!" then insert a weapon image into the hand. National Review would probably run,

"President Obama surrenders to Japan." :)

The Porous Machine

In the 1980s-1990s, consumer companies were marketing see-thru telephones with special built-in neon liner lighting that enabled you to see the inner-parts of the working phone which glowed in the dark.

In this same time period, Swatch (the Swiss wrist-watch manufacturer) was selling special see-thru wrist-watches which enabled you to see the inner gears and dials, long before Steve Jobs introduced his outrageous 1998s color-schemed iMac personal computer which enabled you to see inside its working wires and parts.

It seems like consumerism trends (i.e., Facebook) indicate a machine-design demand for user-friendly (or touch-friendly) devices/gadgets that invite the buyer/user to peek inside and comment on their personal experience with actually using the items (and learning to use the items) in a private way (hence, the demand for housekeeper robots or soldier-drone servant robots).

Maybe this is all part of the Computer/Internet Age, but what is interesting to note is that this transparency or see-thru design trend may indicate a 'Lancet Revolution.'

Remember the T-1000 terminator robot from "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" (1991)? It was comprised of a pervasive mercury-liquid substance and could make 'adaptive' incisive arm blades on-the-fly (and tear into closing elevator doors, rip into windows in its way, etc.).

:afro:

Swatch (Wikipedia)

T-1000 (Wikipedia)

swatch.jpg

Forum List

Back