Term Limits the only solution for real change

Maple

Mar 15, 2009
All of us want change, this is not a partisan issue, it does not matter if you are a republican, democrat, independent, conservative or liberal. We are not going to get significant change until we the people impose term limitaions on congress and the senate.

Too many congressmen and senators have made a career out of a political office, Kennedy, Kerry, McCain, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Nancy Pelosi, and the list goes on and on. They become entrenched in their white ivory towers,forgetting what it's like in the real world. They succomb to special interest groups, they become corrupt with power and money from these groups and eventually they entirely ignore their constituants. Is it any wonder to any of you why this country seems so divided. I don't beleive that we the people are divided, I believe our congress and senate are. They all form their clicks, play their power games, and in the end, get nothing done for the American people.

I think that most of us want the same thing, affordable health care, energy independence,, an educational system that works and a social security system that is feasible and won't be bankrupt for future generations. We need a government that can balance a budget, use tax payer dollars efficiently, eliminates waste and fraud, and creates opportunities for growth in the private sector. We will never get there with entrenched politicians who have made careers out of being ego centric, counter productive individuals whose only concern is power and money and getting their faces on television in order to be re-elected. Most of these politicians have never had to work a real day in their lives, they have an omnipotent veiw of themselves and really think that we the people could not live without their leadership. We can, and we would do a much better job with new people with fresh ideas. The new ones want to do what is right, they have not had the time to be corrupted by special interest groups or old entrenched politicians.

Let's give them each two terms and then there out. That's the only way we are ever going to get the change we need and want in this country. Support term limits and get to your tea party on the 15th of April. This is the real change this country needs.

We the people already determine Term Limits with our VOTE. Find me anything in the Constitution that can limit the terms of eligable people for the House or Senate. It would take a Constitutional Amendment. Which is a waste of time and money.

I am beyond tired of lazy helpless people to STUPID to exersize their rights with the vote. Don't like a Congress or Senate Critter, VOTE them OUT. But no, we are to weak willed and helpless to actually do that, instead we want the Government to make it easy for us by forcing people out so we don't have to actually think or exersize our minds and rights.

The people who would need to put forth the legislation to amend the Constitution to establish term limits will never do anything to cut their own throats with such an amendment.

This idea was a non starter the first time I heard it over 20 years ago.

Any state or congressional district stupid enough to limit the terms of their own representatives in congress relegates themselves to diminished influence in Washington.

It seem that it's always the other guys representatives that we want to throw out of office. Hence the north of 95% re-election rates.

Your congressman plays pork barrel politics, my congressman brings home the bacon.:lol:

On the one hand, I see the point, since the President and Governors have imposed terms limits. However, I also see the point, very accurately made, that WE have the power to kick them out of office if they deserve to be. Now, the only problem I see with that is, it is more difficult to unseat an encumbent simply because WE know who they are as opposed to the "new guy/gal". And the "newbie", generally, doesn't have the financial advantages by virtue of the fact that they are new. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it seems to me that a step in the right direction would be equal SPENDING on campaigns -- which would translate to equal media access, equal campaign literature, etc.

I understand that it would take a constitutional ammendment to do this, and I understand that we can always vote them out of office. However, as you pointed out we are lazy and we do that voter recognition thing and keep voting in the same people over and over again. They bring their same special interest package to the same table with the same people they fought with it about before and we think we are going to have change, no way in hell. These same old entrenched politicians have alot of campaign money from all of these special interest groups and the little person who would like to run against them can't get the funding to do so. In my view there needs to be a constitutional ammendment for term limits. Yes, it was brought up 20 years ago, but it's time we brought it up again and actually got something done about it. Make your voice heard and attend your tea party on the 15th of April.

All of us want change, this is not a partisan issue, it does not matter if you are a republican, democrat, independent, conservative or liberal. We are not going to get significant change until we the people impose term limitaions on congress and the senate.

Too many congressmen and senators have made a career out of a political office, Kennedy, Kerry, McCain, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Nancy Pelosi, and the list goes on and on. They become entrenched in their white ivory towers,forgetting what it's like in the real world. They succomb to special interest groups, they become corrupt with power and money from these groups and eventually they entirely ignore their constituants. Is it any wonder to any of you why this country seems so divided. I don't beleive that we the people are divided, I believe our congress and senate are. They all form their clicks, play their power games, and in the end, get nothing done for the American people.

I think that most of us want the same thing, affordable health care, energy independence,, an educational system that works and a social security system that is feasible and won't be bankrupt for future generations. We need a government that can balance a budget, use tax payer dollars efficiently, eliminates waste and fraud, and creates opportunities for growth in the private sector. We will never get there with entrenched politicians who have made careers out of being ego centric, counter productive individuals whose only concern is power and money and getting their faces on television in order to be re-elected. Most of these politicians have never had to work a real day in their lives, they have an omnipotent veiw of themselves and really think that we the people could not live without their leadership. We can, and we would do a much better job with new people with fresh ideas. The new ones want to do what is right, they have not had the time to be corrupted by special interest groups or old entrenched politicians.

Let's give them each two terms and then there out. That's the only way we are ever going to get the change we need and want in this country. Support term limits and get to your tea party on the 15th of April. This is the real change this country needs.

See the part in bold.
Government of any kind isn't the solution to what you want.

You can bet your buckwheat that if the writers of our constitution were alive today they would have wrote in term limits for the congress and the senate. They would have been disgusted at what we see on a daily basis, corruption, special interests in the back pockets of our so-called leaders and those politicians living the life of riley, staying on the government gravy train until they die. They most certainly would not have wanted this and it is clear that this needs to change, let's bring to the forfront the need for term limits and get it done this time. It will be a fight but I beleive it's a fight that we the people can win.

You can bet your buckwheat that if the writers of our constitution were alive today they would have wrote in term limits for the congress and the senate. They would have been disgusted at what we see on a daily basis, corruption, special interests in the back pockets of our so-called leaders and those politicians living the life of riley, staying on the government gravy train until they die. They most certainly would not have wanted this and it is clear that this needs to change, let's bring to the forfront the need for term limits and get it done this time. It will be a fight but I beleive it's a fight that we the people can win.

How about no pay God knows there all over paid

Congressperson. The only job you can constantly fuck up at and keep.

I guess I wouldn't mind giving it a try. But I'm not convinced it would make as big a difference as people might think. Likely, instead of having the same guy bought and paid for by special interests, being re-elected over and over, you'd simply have a pipeline of them rolling through. And with each one knowing that his term is limited anyway, they'd be even easier to buy off because they'd need to really exploit the finite window of opportunity. Especially making deals to set them up in the private sector when they're through.

There are a few more. Weatherman. Economist. And if you're a minority in a larger company, you typically get one or two more get out of jail free cards than your white co-workers.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon

There are a few more. Weatherman. Economist. And if you're a minority in a larger company, you typically get one or two more get out of jail free cards than your white co-workers.
Weatherman and economists get lucky and get it right now and then.
Even minorities get fired if they constantly fuck up.

I think we will see a renewed energy pushing for term limits at the tea parties that are springing up all over the nation. Make sure to attend yours, I took the day off to go. It's April 15th, check with your local chamber of commerce, they will be able to tell you where yours is at.

We the people already determine Term Limits with our VOTE. Find me anything in the Constitution that can limit the terms of eligable people for the House or Senate. It would take a Constitutional Amendment. Which is a waste of time and money.

I am beyond tired of lazy helpless people to STUPID to exersize their rights with the vote. Don't like a Congress or Senate Critter, VOTE them OUT. But no, we are to weak willed and helpless to actually do that, instead we want the Government to make it easy for us by forcing people out so we don't have to actually think or exersize our minds and rights.

This is so 100% on the mark. Why should a very good legislator be limited in how long he/she can serve? We have the opportunity every election cycle to remove anyone from office who is not representing our interests. If we are too dumb that we can be bought off with slick advertising then we deserve what we get.

Oh, there is another -- a meterologist....

I doubt their salary is as high though.

We have term limits in the White House. How's that going for you?

It's almost funny the way that some Rs just assume that if there were term limits, Repubs would win the majority back.

When will you all accept the rejection of Republican policies in 2006 and 2008 by the American voters?

One of the first steps in recovery is acceptance. :lol:

people are too stupid & lazy....term limits, the way Washington intended it to be....

Maple,

I am in full agreement with all you have said,
and were it not for
our constitutionally deviate federal Supreme Court,
we would now have term limits
and equal media access,
and true spending limits.

And were it not true
that our news media
is subject to the control
of not more than 3% of our population
THEN
our votes might produce results
more in accord with our wishes
than those of that 3%.

The argument that we can vote out of office
those who do not comply with our wishes
is undone by the statistics
that show the near impossibility
of defeating an incumbent.

So, as you point out,
the status quo
remains
the status quo
and no change is in sight.

Our failing government,
and our losing military,
have taken us
to the brink of ruin
and there we may teeter
until we rot.

shock

And I agree, of course, with All Biz,
who notes that the President and Governors have imposed terms limits;
that it is more difficuolt to unseat an encumbent;
and that a step in the right direction would be equal SPENDING on campaigns -- which would translate to equal media access, equal campaign literature, etc.

Forum List

Back