Tenure IS KILLING AMERICAN EDUCATION AND MUST BE ENDED

Discussion in 'Education' started by GHook93, May 29, 2012.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,931
    First, it provides no incentive for the teacher to keep learning and better oneself. I mean if you can't get fired, nor will the fruits of your labor lead to more pay why work harder? I know liberals will say they do if for the kids? Some will (as some worked hard for various reasons in the USSR), but most won't. It creates lazy teachers. The by far worst professors I had in college were tenure ones!

Second, at the video shows it PROTECTS BAD TEACHERS. The video is an extreme example. The woman is a sexual predator (stalking other teachers, and telling 8th graders to remove their shirts and bras), consistly missed worked, has no class circulum and failed student for no reason, yet she is a great example of tenures stupidity. You would think case closed, she should be fired. Yet the school hasn't been able to fire her yet (going on three years) and the bitch is getting paid and hasn't been in a classroom in 3 years!!! The piece even stated if she passes a psycological exam, then she could teach again in a year!!! WTF.

The piece stated that it only takes THREE years to get tenure, yet it's nearly impossible to fire a teacher and it costs the school $280K to do it! Amazing.

And this is an extreme case. What about the tenure teachers that just SUCK at their job. That their performance and effort are so low they shouldn't have a job. They are letting down the students, yet these scumbags won't be fired in fact they will be protected until the end!

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,073
    "Public educators, like Soviet farmers, lack any incentive to produce results, innovate, to be efficient, to make the kinds of of difficult changes that private firms operating in a competitive market must make to survive." Carolyn Lochhead

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    This makes good teachers look bad, and bad teachers look worse.
    It's a freakin' scam. Always was.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,179
    Make it merit based...The higher the classes SAT scores are=higher pay. Nothing less should be expected. We're competing against east asia.

5. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,073
    This is how all private organizations do it. You'll not get that from government run monopolies.

6. Leweman

Leweman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +737
    I think any kind of measurement would have to be taken within the environment. So a test would be given to the class at the beginning of the year and then a different test measuring the same skills would be given at the end and then the average of improvement would determine how well a teacher is doing. Comparing scores to other classrooms wouldn't be fair because of so many outside factors.

7. regent

regent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,764
    Actually the way it often worked before tenure was when a new school board from the other political party was elected, teachers, office personell, janitors all could be replaced with the people from the new political party. Those that helped with money or work were usually first in line for the new jobs. Politics decided jobs, it was part of the spoils system.
    Civil service was introduced to stop the turnover with new elections and tenure introduced for teaching jobs.

8. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,931
    There are many great teachers, as there were many hard-worker Soviets, yet the system is created to kill incentive, promote and provide raises based on length not merit and a pension system that siphons all the money that should go to education, but instead goes to retired teacher's unfunded retirement plans!

It's a travesty!

9. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,931
    That too was too high of stakes and who claims the student? I mean the a highschool student can have as many as 6 teachers. Does the students PE teacher get a cut. How would it be judged?

Merit pay increases, at will employment and individual retirement plans (401k and IRAs) are the right direction.

10. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    I don't think anyone would mind spending vast sums of money and teacher tenure if American Education at all levels was #1 in the world.

I know I wouldn't.