Tennesee flood victims failed to learn lesson from Katrina.

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
Really? How many had that insurance in NOLA and surrounding areas prior to Katrina? [Or were they just bought out]?

Is Flood insurance EASY to get there? Or does it take FED Subsidies?

:eusa_hand::eusa_think:

You may cease your shit Spidey.

Really? How many had that insurance in NOLA and surrounding areas prior to Katrina? [Or were they just bought out]?

Perhaps you have a little trouble understanding the concept of "a lesson".

• Banned

Most people not living in federally designated flood zones, where you are required by law to have flood insurance, did not have flood insurance. This is true of New Orleans - Tennessee - and everywhere in the nation. Every time a major flood happens, it turns out, most all of the victims not required by law to buy flood insurance, do not have it. This was not unique to Katrina.

Perhaps you have a little trouble understanding the concept of "a lesson".

And so do people that live where they DO. There are risks courtesy of the Earth and Nature no matter where you live. You can cease yer shit too.:eusa_hand:

flood insurance IS EXPENSIVE....it is a lie, that it is not.

I am not in a flood zone, but i looked in to it about 3 weeks ago, because all of these flood insurance ads were running on tv, that scared me and it saqid it was less than $120 bucks for a policy....

WELL!

The $120 a year was for only damages worth $8000 bucks, that's it.....

and if you have a basement or a crawl space, that flood insurance policy does not cover that....which is EXACTLY where the waqter will go, in to the crawl space with the heater and water pump....so you have to pay for aqnother policy for that, which again covers very very very little in damage.....

then if you want more damage coverage....my house for my homeowners is insured for $200,000 in damages and another $100k in content damages....the whole $300k coverage is around $600 bucks a year for us.....

on the flood insurance, you also have to buy a separate policy for your contents inside your house....

the whole thing, just to get about $50k in coverage, which covers NEAR NOTHING in what water damage could be was about a thousand dollars a year!!!!! for just the $50k in coverage while my homeowners is for $600 and $300k in coverage...

so bullcrap it is cheap.

Most of the Tennessee flood victims DO NOT HAVE FLOOD INSURANCE.
MILLINGTON, TN-- It was flooding no one saw coming, and many people didn't prepare.

Governor Bredesen says most homeowners in Tennessee affected by this disaster did not have flood insurance

Most Tennessee Flood Victims Didn't Have Flood Insurance|myEyewitnessNews.com, Memphis News, Entertainment, Videos, Business Search and Shopping

If they're in a flood plane at all, they should've had flood insurance. If they're in an area that rarely floods, it's not that expensive. I guess buying big-screen TVs were more important than protecting their homes.

MILLINGTON, TN-- It was flooding no one saw coming, and many people didn't prepare.

Governor Bredesen says most homeowners in Tennessee affected by this disaster did not have flood insurance

Most Tennessee Flood Victims Didn't Have Flood Insurance|myEyewitnessNews.com, Memphis News, Entertainment, Videos, Business Search and Shopping

If they're in a flood plane at all, they should've had flood insurance. If they're in an area that rarely floods, it's not that expensive. I guess buying big-screen TVs were more important than protecting their homes.

if your home was worth $200 grand without its contents, what kind of flood insurance would you take out? The $120 yearly policy that covers $8000 in structure damage only?

Flood insurance is much more expensive, even if NOT in a flood zone, than any kind of homeowners insurance....dollar for dollar coverage....it is NOT cheap, regardless of what the gvt is touting....their flood insurance policies are EXPENSIVE, for what you get.

look it up yourself online.....

if your home was worth $200 grand without its contents, what kind of flood insurance would you take out? The $120 yearly policy that covers $8000 in structure damage only?

Flood insurance is much more expensive, even if NOT in a flood zone, than any kind of homeowners insurance....dollar for dollar coverage....it is NOT cheap, regardless of what the gvt is touting....their flood insurance policies are EXPENSIVE, for what you get.

:lol: I'm just going by personal experience here in the South. I'm sure it's similar to Tennessee. $200k would be in the upper end of the scale for this area, so that certainly would not be average. For moderate-to-low risk areas, it can start as low as $150/year for building and contents coverage. A sister of mine lives in one such area and pays about $125/year for a 1600 sqft house.

Perhaps the government could hire more IRS agents to enforce the law, or mandate that everyone share the burden equally and we all pay for flood insurance even if you live on the top of a mountain. Wait, I think I'm getting mixed up with health insurance.

Perhaps the government could hire more IRS agents to enforce the law, or mandate that everyone share the burden equally and we all pay for flood insurance even if you live on the top of a mountain. Wait, I think I'm getting mixed up with health insurance.

We do all pay for flood insurance. Federal flood protection is subsidized.

Those areas had not flooded previously and the flood was not caused by the river overflowing its banks. The flood was caused by 13 inches of rain in 2 days - twice the recorded record. Had there been a flood in the last 50 years of this magnitide, which ther had not been, there still would have been very little damage as Nashville was not as developed as it is today.

New Orleans is kept dry through the use of levees. The only similar thing going in Nashville was the White's creek dam. The White's Creek Dam was declared to be in VERY precarious condition about 5 years ago and the word was that if it ever broke many many homes would be flooded and remain flooded. The necessary repairs were made and the White's Creek Dam did not in any way figure into this flood.

Excessive rainfall with nowhere for the run off to go is what caused this flood. Katrina was caused by a hurricane and broken levees. Apples. Oranges.

Last edited:

You know perfectly well that I'm referring to the purchase of flood insurance that you made point of in your OP.

:lol: I'm just going by personal experience here in the South. I'm sure it's similar to Tennessee. $200k would be in the upper end of the scale for this area, so that certainly would not be average. For moderate-to-low risk areas, it can start as low as $150/year for building and contents coverage. A sister of mine lives in one such area and pays about $125/year for a 1600 sqft house.

ok, that is true that their homes and property in tennessee is probably not worth as much as mine....I hadn't thought about that...

Those areas had not flooded previously and the flood was not caused by the river overflowing its banks. The flood was caused by 13 inches of rain in 2 days - twice the recorded record. Had there been a flood in the last 50 years of this magnitide, which ther had not been, there still would have been very little damage as Nashville was not as developed as it is today.

New Orleans is kept dry through the use of levees. The only similar thing going in Nashville was the White's creek dam. The White's Creek Dam was declared to be in VERY precarious condition about 5 years ago and the word was that if it ever broke many many homes would be flooded and remain flooded. The necessary repairs were made and the White's Creek Dam did not in any way figure into this flood.

New Orleans is kept dry from rain by pumps that move water from low lying areas into canals that flow into the lake.

Excessive rainfall with nowhere for the run off to go is what caused this flood. Katrina was caused by a hurricane and broken levees. Apples. Oranges.

The fact still remains that much of New Orleans was not in a federally designated flood plain. Most of those people, not in a flood plain, did not have flood insurance, just like in Tennessee.

You know perfectly well that I'm referring to the purchase of flood insurance that you made point of in your OP.

He knows it. I made light of it earlier on.

New Orleans is kept dry from rain by pumps that move water from low lying areas into canals that flow into the lake.

The fact still remains that much of New Orleans was not in a federally designated flood plain. Most of those people, not in a flood plain, did not have flood insurance, just like in Tennessee.

People who live in the projects don't NEED flood insurance! And without the levees New Orleans is BELOW sea level. I've been there, I've seen the boats going by on the river OVERHEAD!

It was private owners and not project dwellers who sustained the loss in Nashville. A 'peril' is what one takes insurance to cover. Just as people in TN do not generally take insurance against floods they also do not take insurance against hurricanes, a peril that generally does not occur inland, although Ike DID cause considerable damage in TN and KY when it upgraded after it made landfall. Insurance is a game of odds. It is not a game of 'do as I should have done.'

Last edited:
People who live in the projects don't NEED flood insurance!
That's a very astute observation, especially considering most of them are above the 1st floor and built to withstand wind and flooding. However, the overwhelming majority of New Orleanians did not live in the projects.

And without the levees New Orleans is BELOW sea level.
The majority of the population lives above sea level in the city. I would have thought, given the flooding in Tennessee, it might occur to you that elevation is only one of several factors that influence flood depth.
I've been there, I've seen the boats going by on the river OVERHEAD!
I'm not sure what the river has to do with it. The flooding during Katrina was due to surge from the Gulf of Mexico into the lake and the canals attached to it and MR-GO, and none of the levees on the river itself even broke.

The boats on the river would still be going overhead if there was not additional man made levee on the river. The river creates natural levees substantially higher than the surrounding area, and its these natural levees on which the old city is built.
It was private owners and not project dwellers who sustained the loss in Nashville.A 'peril' is what one takes insurance to cover.
[/QUOTE] Tens of thousands of private homes were damaged and destroyed in New Orleans because of Katrina, and many of them were not in federal flood plains and owned by people who did not have flood insurance - just like in Tennessee. You are seriously a very ignorant person.

People who live in the projects don't NEED flood insurance!
That's a very astute observation, especially considering most of them are above the 1st floor and built to withstand wind and flooding. However, the overwhelming majority of New Orleanians did not live in the projects.

And without the levees New Orleans is BELOW sea level.
The majority of the population lives above sea level in the city. I would have thought, given the flooding in Tennessee, it might occur to you that elevation is only one of several factors that influence flood depth.
I've been there, I've seen the boats going by on the river OVERHEAD!
I'm not sure what the river has to do with it. The flooding during Katrina was due to surge from the Gulf of Mexico into the lake and the canals attached to it and MR-GO, and none of the levees on the river itself even broke.

The boats on the river would still be going overhead if there was not additional man made levee on the river. The river creates natural levees substantially higher than the surrounding area, and its these natural levees on which the old city is built.
It was private owners and not project dwellers who sustained the loss in Nashville.A 'peril' is what one takes insurance to cover.
Tens of thousands of private homes were damaged and destroyed in New Orleans because of Katrina, and many of them were not in federal flood plains and owned by people who did not have flood insurance - just like in Tennessee. You are seriously a very ignorant person.

Well bless your little heart!

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back