Ten Hours in Line to Vote - An American Embarrassment

Something like the following recently happened to a former (what is the American word for someone who studied in the same courses?) of mine.

While volunteering for Obama in Florida, He arrives before a house with a confederate flag which was listed as undecided.
Ringing, the lady of the house opens.
"Did you make up your mind for whom you are going to vote yet?" he asks,
"Darling" shouts the lady into the house "For whom are we going to vote?"
"We are going to vote for the ******" comes back the awnser.
The lady says: "You heard it, we will vote for the ******".

Is there a remote possiblilty---(I'm talking way out there now) --that whites vote faster than blacks ?

You are indeed way out there.

There is a direct coorelation to the number of voting machines in a precient to the time it takes to vote.

Somehow, who can tell, communities with lots of black voters get fewer voting machines.

Imagine that

You are indeed way out there.

There is a direct coorelation to the number of voting machines in a precient to the time it takes to vote.

Somehow, who can tell, communities with lots of black voters get fewer voting machines.

Imagine that
do you have some documentation that they requested more than they got, and that who ever they requested them from had them to give?

It shouldn't take that long, I agree. Seems that with the turnout being what it is, there should be a polling location at every school, church, library, post office. This should have been planned for.

Absolutely.

They knew it was coming .. and they planned for it by limiting the number of locations for early voting.

Georgia could have requested the Justice Department allow them to extend voting hours and even be open on the weekend .. as Florida requested and was granted.

It's all pure speculation and a local issue. Every fricken election someone bitches. I suggest voters in that area actually do something other than bitch but I bet they don't do a damn thing.

They are doing something other than bitching .. THEY'RE VOTING. It's those who don't want the problems addressed who are doing the bitching .. bitching at Americans who are fulfilling their civic duty.

Absolutely.

They knew it was coming .. and they planned for it by limiting the number of locations for early voting.

Georgia could have requested the Justice Department allow them to extend voting hours and even be open on the weekend .. as Florida requested and was granted.
what does that have to do with the number of machines allocated to a district?
you made a claim that black districts didnt get the correct number of machines
if that is the case and you can prove that whoever controls the allocation of machines to the various districts planned to have fewer machines per registered voters in black district than to white districts then you have a serious case to file a law suit and i would support just such a suit being filed
now, i'll ask you against for your documentation

do you have some documentation that they requested more than they got, and that who ever they requested them from had them to give?

Counties don't request voting machines, they are allocated by the Secretary of State.

Counties don't request voting machines, they are allocated by the Secretary of State.
it varies by state
up here its handled by the towns

and btw, that didnt answer my question
do you have proof that whoever is requesting the machines asked for more than they got?
and, that who ever they requested them from, had more to dole out, but didnt?

Last edited:
what does that have to do with the number of machines allocated to a district?
you made a claim that black districts didnt get the correct number of machines
if that is the case and you can prove that whoever controls the allocation of machines to the various districts planned to have fewer machines per registered voters in black district than to white districts then you have a serious case to file a law suit and i would support just such a suit being filed
now, i'll ask you against for your documentation

If you truly wanted to educate yourself on this issue, there is a veritable wealth of information right at your fingertips .. it's called google.

Voting Rights Are Too Important to Leave to the States

Congress also needs to set a minimum standard for the number of voting machines per voter and ensure that states allocate them equitably. There were widespread reports in Ohio in 2004 of voters in poor, black neighborhoods waiting hours to vote while white neighborhoods had no lines. At Kenyon College, students waited up to 10 hours.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/02/o...10392000&en=5922233b35173cf0&ei=5070&emc=eta1

If you truly wanted to educate yourself on this issue, there is a veritable wealth of information right at your fingertips .. it's called google.

Voting Rights Are Too Important to Leave to the States

Congress also needs to set a minimum standard for the number of voting machines per voter and ensure that states allocate them equitably. There were widespread reports in Ohio in 2004 of voters in poor, black neighborhoods waiting hours to vote while white neighborhoods had no lines. At Kenyon College, students waited up to 10 hours.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/02/o...10392000&en=5922233b35173cf0&ei=5070&emc=eta1
i thought you were talking about a specific case
i see now you were not
you just believe it because someone else told you it was so
just because some reporter claimed it to be so, does NOT mean that is the case

btw, i disagree with that editorial, it IS the states right to set the standards for voting since we have 50 STATE elections and not one NATIONAL election
that is in the constitution

it varies by state
up here its handled by the towns

and btw, that didnt answer my question
do you have proof that whoever is requesting the machines asked for more than they got?
and, that who ever they requested them from, had more to dole out, but didnt?

What pary of "counties don't REQUEST" is it that you don't understand?

In Georgia, as in Ohio and many other states, the machines are allocated by the Secretary of State. Perhaps yopu could benefit, although I doubt it, from reading the evidence against Kenneth Blackwell in Ohio in the 2004 election.

No matter how it's handled "up there" .. this is how it's handled down here and many other places "up there"

i thought you were talking about a specific case
i see now you were not
you just believe it because someone else told you it was so
just because some reporter claimed it to be so, does NOT mean that is the case

I don't need a reporter to tell me anything about this issue .. in fact, here in Georgia, I've been the one telling the reporters.

I've been involved in the issue of election integrity for at least 5 years and I'm an expert on the issue of electronic faith-based voting machines.

What pary of "counties don't REQUEST" is it that you don't understand?

In Georgia, as in Ohio and many other states, the machines are allocated by the Secretary of State. Perhaps yopu could benefit, although I doubt it, from reading the evidence against Kenneth Blackwell in Ohio in the 2004 election.

No matter how it's handled "up there" .. this is how it's handled down here and many other places "up there"
dude, i never said anything about the counties
SOMEONE needs to pout in a request for the machines
and i doubt that any state AG would allocate the machines in a way that was obviously in violation of the voting rights act, it would be political suicide
now, do you have any actual proof or just most BS speculations?

btw, i disagree with that editorial, it IS the states right to set the standards for voting since we have 50 STATE elections and not one NATIONAL election
that is in the constitution

States have to abide by election standards set by law, specifically civil rights law .. which is why many states are still to this day under federal guidelines about how they conduct elections .. Georgia is one of them.

If we can nationalize banks, we can nationalize elections.

I don't need a reporter to tell me anything about this issue .. in fact, here in Georgia, I've been the one telling the reporters.

I've been involved in the issue of election integrity for at least 5 years and I'm an expert on the issue of electronic faith-based voting machines.
good, then you know how many total machines the state has?
and how they are divided up by district?
if so, you should have SOMETHING to substatiate your claims

States have to abide by election standards set by law, specifically civil rights law .. which is why many states are still to this day under federal guidelines about how they conduct elections .. Georgia is one of them.

If we can nationalize banks, we can nationalize elections.
we shouldnt do either

I can't help but notice that as the election day looms larger our resident racists are getting more and more angry and openly racist, too

Comments like the line take ten hours because blacks are slower voters?

My goodness, their whites only world is really falling apart isn't it?

Take heart racists..the nation that Obama is going to become POTUS of is a real mess.

In all likihood things will get much much worse than they currently are, and just think -- you'll be able to completely ignore the history that makes it so, and blame it all on a Black POTUS, and a Democratic Congress, and those who many of you think are those self loathing Whites who voted that Black man and those Dems into office

See? There's your silver lining hidden in this cloud.

You'll be able to pretend that all the problems we face had nothing to do with the fact that Republicans screwed the pooch for the last eight years.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back