Ten Gun Myths and Memes-- Shot Down

To be fair to the Rabbi, he is not the only poster on these gun threads who has reacted as if his mother had just been ritually disembowled by the OP in question.

Many of the responses from gun owners have been emotional, irrational and staggeringly poorly informed.

It would be refreshing to see more moderate pro-gun voices on this site, but there aren't too many.

Last edited:
Well here it is -- it was only a matter of time:

Today, 12:16 AM

New reputation!
Hi, you have received -583 reputation points from The Rabbi.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
dunce

Regards,
The Rabbi

This is a first; I actually got negged for creating a topic. No discussion, no exchange, just a straight neg from a rhetorical pissant so drowning in his own insecurities that he just wants to shut people up. Too much of a spineless coward to debate. This is how afraid some people are of facing their hangups I guess.

Is this typical of the Right? Or of rabbis? Or just those who don't know baseball from their ass? You tell me.

Anybody else have the balls to discuss this without running to the neg machine like a little girl? (meant figuratively of course)

Actually this is illutrative; TheCrybabbi is illustrating the point that "gun nuts" go to their armamental paraphernalia to make up for the part of "gun nuts" that isn't "gun" -- and in the process demonstrate the whole fallacy of gun abuse: "shoot first, ask questions later". Literally.

Myth 10 Gun owners are intelligent, well informed people who will listen to the facts and then act with common sense.

Rich irony. Many posters have pointed both internal and external contradictions to the OP and you ignore all of them.
Myth 11: Anti gunners are interested in truth and facts.

Like the one that you posted that was wrong?

Quite frankly I put little stock in statistics when it comes to guns.

I grew up shooting with people who shoot and own guns and no one not one person I have ever met has injured himself or someone else with a gun. No one has brandished a gun at his or her spouse during a argument, no one has committed suicide etc.

Those numbers just don't jive with my life experience.

My next door neighbor shot himself after the police refused to confiscate his gun after a failed earlier attempt.

Umm... yeah, guns in the home are more dangerous to the people in them. Every collected stat has confirmed this.

But the gun makers are making big money, and that's the important thing.

One anecdote does not mean evidence. Fail.

Only because you do not want to hear true stories.

My next door neighbor shot himself after the police refused to confiscate his gun after a failed earlier attempt.

Umm... yeah, guns in the home are more dangerous to the people in them. Every collected stat has confirmed this.

But the gun makers are making big money, and that's the important thing.

One anecdote does not mean evidence. Fail.

Only because you do not want to hear true stories.

Just like you don't want to hear true stories of how having a gun in the house has prevented a crime.

Just like you don't want to hear true stories of how having a gun in the house has prevented a crime.

We know guns in homes sometimes prevents crime. That's a fact.

We also know that statistically, they cause more deaths than they prevent. That's a fact too.

You don't know that.

Do you have accurate statistics on how many times a gun prevented a crime without it being fired?

And how do you know those incidents did not prevent a death, a rape or some other violent crime?

This is my problem with these statistics. They are woefully incomplete.

Skull Pilot -

The research I've read is more than compelling. I'd recommend the Harvard research as being the most complete and the least partisan. It's also worth looking at some of the material linked in this OP. Some of it is lacking, other studies appear very good.

Even if we agree that instances where a weapon was NOT fired double the instances of prevention - the statistics are still against you.

Myth 10 Gun owners are intelligent, well informed people who will listen to the facts and then act with common sense.

Rich irony. Many posters have pointed both internal and external contradictions to the OP and you ignore all of them.

It wasn't wrong. The security guard had a gun. Period. Others have posted other examples of people using guns to stop mass murder. The "fact" is clearly nothing of the kind.
And you aer still ignoring the many posts by many people here shredding the OP. Why is that?

We know guns in homes sometimes prevents crime. That's a fact.

We also know that statistically, they cause more deaths than they prevent. That's a fact too.

Guns do not prevent crime. Guns do not cause deaths. People do those things.
The oft quoted study included households where one member was a convicted felon. That is going to skew the numbers considerably.

Skull Pilot -

The research I've read is more than compelling. I'd recommend the Harvard research as being the most complete and the least partisan. It's also worth looking at some of the material linked in this OP. Some of it is lacking, other studies appear very good.

Even if we agree that instances where a weapon was NOT fired double the instances of prevention - the statistics are still against you.

I have looked.

But the issues i raised don't seem to make it into any stats do they?

How many times did a guy racking his shotgun scare off a would be criminal and possibly prevent a murder or a rape etc?

Those stats don't make it into these studies it seems that the only incidents that count are when a gun is actually fired.

Skull P -

I agree with you to come extent. We can not know how many times a potential burglar is put off entering a house because we sees a gun rack, or something like that. Of course it happens.

But we also know that residents of homes which contain firearms are also more likely to die of gun shot wounds.

It's a solid, reliable statistical fact.

Talk about myths........this longstanding myth that engaging the action of a pump shotgun is going to scare the criminal away. Almost as laughable as the myth of firing a warning shot. Perhaps in the middle of Bumfook, South Dakota or Scratchmyassville, Idaho......or Irrelevantstown, Finland........ but here in New York, if somebody is entering my home its highly likely they are jacked on something and looking for merchandise to be able to feed their habit. Try a bat on these people and you are likely to end up with it up your ass BEFORE you and your family gets wiped out.( as in dead)

I think most limpwristers live in such a bubble that they simply cannot fathom the desperate potential of these people. They dont give a flying fuck about your life. Most of the limpwristers dont even see these people in their lives except in rare instances.......far left white guilty assholes living on Main Street, HunkyDoreyTown USA. Fucking whimps.

I live in a very nice uppper middle class neighborhood but just a 10 minute drive from here, Im in a veritable ghettto where lying, cheating, assaulting and killing are second nature to these people. When they need shit, they arent looking in their own neighborhhods......they're coming to neighborhoods like mine. I dont even bother with bird shot.........my Mossberg carries 00 buck which will remove a head at 20 paces. Somebody comes in my house, they are leaving very dead. As a parent, thinking any other way is irresponsible at best.........grossly negligent more likely.

The limpwristers can keep their wiffle bat arsenals and pepper spray.

God Bless

Skull P -

I agree with you to come extent. We can not know how many times a potential burglar is put off entering a house because we sees a gun rack, or something like that. Of course it happens.

But we also know that residents of homes which contain firearms are also more likely to die of gun shot wounds.

It's a solid, reliable statistical fact.

But without context it is meaningless.

Rabbi -

This is the context.

firearm-OECD-UN-data3.jpg

If you can accept that this chart is accurate, then you simply have to ask what is going wrong with guns in the US and how the problem can be addressed.

Denial of the problem is exactly what led the US to the position it holds on that chart.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxkjRXk7m8&playnext=1&list=PLco42nxMgEslujzbKHlCMSdkfJt9H7_ZS&feature=results_main]Shotguns for Home Defense - Myths and Realities - YouTube[/ame]

It wasn't wrong. The security guard had a gun. Period. Others have posted other examples of people using guns to stop mass murder. The "fact" is clearly nothing of the kind.
And you aer still ignoring the many posts by many people here shredding the OP. Why is that?

He did not use the gun, so him having the gun meant nothing. If you thought before you posted it would save us some time.

Are you the one on the board from Texas who owns a gun shop or sells guns?

Non-limpwristers educate their families and keep their kids in the real world not the makey-up world of the left..........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-q2zHIovOE]Boy Uses Dad's AR-15 to Shoot Invader - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back