Temperatures soar above 123 degrees Fahrenheit in Iraq, forcing four-day holiday

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Let's all be glad that we are not in Iraq. The 90's were hot enough for me today, and thankfully I have airconditioning.

Temperatures soar above 123 degrees Fahrenheit in Iraq, forcing four-day holiday

null

An Iraqi man cools himself with water in central Baghdad, Iraq, Thursday, July 16, 2015
IMAGE: KARIM KADIM/ASSOCIATED PRESS

BY ANDREW FREEDMAN11 HOURS AGO

With temperatures expected to soar above 123 degrees Fahrenheit this week, the Iraqi government declared a four-day holiday, according to state-run television reports.

This is the second time this has happened this summer, and is due to the combination of high heat and power and water shortages that can cut air conditioning at the hottest times of the day and leave people more vulnerable to heat-related illnesses.

Continue reading at:

Temperatures soar above 123 degrees Fahrenheit in Iraq forcing four-day holiday?

Here in the US the slave drivers crack the whip no matter the temp...
Where are these 'slaves' you speak of?

and when was the last time a company risked being sued for working people in extreme heat?
I speak of the slaves in the construction world, no matter the temp, your ass better be there or you would not have a job...
non-sense

you know as well as I do that people can call off and not get fired

and construction?

unionized, so you KNOW you're full of shit

Where are these 'slaves' you speak of?

and when was the last time a company risked being sued for working people in extreme heat?
I speak of the slaves in the construction world, no matter the temp, your ass better be there or you would not have a job...
non-sense

you know as well as I do that people can call off and not get fired

and construction?

unionized, so you KNOW you're full of shit
Sure, whatever you don't say...

everyplace has AC
not true

Compared to the rest of the world................ You don't have to go far to find a place to cool down.

Florida the humidity is higher than the temperature. South CA, Nevada, Arizona and parts of TX know from heat. The rest complain

It is very different in other part of the world
I've worked in southern Texas to central Okiehoma and all through the south in to DC......I am glad you can tell me what my experience was like..When in the 1970's many people did not have AC.My old Papa said AC would ruin a man and never used his in his house.and he was a rancher in his mid 70's...Now you can tell me that I am lying, please do, I expect it..I worked out in 105 yesterday, but don't let that impress you any.In fact I couldn't give a damn what you think about it...When in the military we had no AC at Fort Hood and in El Paso...., San Antonio....No heater either....

Global warming is fucking the entire world!

ice ages and heat waves have come and gone many times over the span of human existence. they will again in the future

40,000 year ago there was air pollution and emissions effecting the climate and life. As bad as we treat the earth, it has a way of rebounding.
Mother earth is far more resilient that we give it credit for. We should care, but our global warming is not totally the result of the last two or three centuries. We are only a part of the change.

everyplace has AC
not true

Compared to the rest of the world................ You don't have to go far to find a place to cool down.

Florida the humidity is higher than the temperature. South CA, Nevada, Arizona and parts of TX know from heat. The rest complain

It is very different in other part of the world
I've worked in southern Texas to central Okiehoma and all through the south in to DC......I am glad you can tell me what my experience was like..When in the 1970's many people did not have AC.My old Papa said AC would ruin a man and never used his in his house.and he was a rancher in his mid 70's...Now you can tell me that I am lying, please do, I expect it..I worked out in 105 yesterday, but don't let that impress you any.In fact I couldn't give a damn what you think about it...When in the military we had no AC at Fort Hood and in El Paso...., San Antonio....No heater either....

Most people in the US don't experience 120-130 degree temperatures outside of death valley and perhaps a few other spots on occasion.

I'm familiar with San Antonio base and it was not so bad when I was there. Maybe the heat did not bother me so much back then.
I found the middle east far worse
On the other extreme there was alaska with wind chill close to 100 below. You do not want to touch any metal. Those 'bunny' boot felt like lead weights. I preferred mukluks.

Forum List

Back