Tell Us Your Union Experiences

First off, UPS does not require anyone to pay $700.00 to the union. You either misunderstood,or are fabricating reality.

My union experience?
I worked as a merchandiser for seven up. I made $12.00 dollars an hour. Cocacola was unionized as well. They paid $12.00 per hour as well. Both paid double time for over time pay, and offered a benefits package. The job itself was physically demanding, and at times required a tremendous amount of hours. Those "Awful" union dues that everyone is so afraid of came to about $40.00 a month for me.

Pepsi, on the other hand, was a non union job. The pay for them was $5.15 per hour. They did not receive any benefits. Furthermore, the overtime pay for them was time and a half, not even what I made on my regular hourly wages. On top of all that, there were many times where "bosses" would be on the job demeaning the pepsi employees cussing at them,and threatening their jobs. In my case,when I made a mistake, my boss would respectfully speak with me on the matter.

So yes,in my experience, a Union is great to have in many situations.

And what about the chamber of commerce? It is basically a corporate union,or a union to advocate the corporations against the work force. There are other organizations that defend corporations against the workforce. This is ok but labor unions are not? Why is it ok for them?

Thats what I remember being a college kid. It was an initiation fee and a montly due fees.

you are incorrect. I worked for PBG in Johnson City TN in 2000. That ware house had a 2% turn over rate which was the lowest of all the satellite ware houses. My starting wage was $11.75 an hour and when I left 2003 it was 13.75 . I also had full benefits and 401-K. No union there and all was well. They also didn't lay folks off after 9/11 when the economy went south. Unions tried to get in, but the employee's told them to fuck off.

I took a summer job in college, at a metals factory. Pretty good pay for 1974. I don't even remember what the dues was. I worked along side folks who had been there 30 years.
Filthy place, antiquated machinery, dangerous.

Union reps came in one day and reamed the employee's asses for the condition of the plant. As far as I could tell they didn't say anything to the managers.

That's it. No biggie.

My brother was a Boilermaker and extremely proud of it. His buddies were the hardest working, craziest partying, and friendliest bunch I ever met. Anyhow- after his divorce, the work dried up but he didn't. He was broke and saw fit to drink himself to death at 48. I contacted the Boilermaker's Union about any benefits or life insurance, etc. after his 30 years of service.

Nope- he let his dues lapse.

union_pipe_fitter_hat-p148618190822743061tdto_125.jpg

When I retired from the military I started working for a air-conditioning equipment plant in TN. I joined the union shortly after getting the job. I noticed several things in the 8 years I worked there.

We had two union Presidents while I was there. The first contract re-negotiation took place the first year I worked there. At the time the company had hired alot of new employees and the people that had been there for years wanted some time off and wanted to go on strike. Well us new employees wanted to work, so the strike vote failed.

Four years later our contract was up for a vote again. This time the company did some strange things. One thing I noticed is they took every chair out of the plant. Even the run-testers had to stand up 8 hours a day. In order to do that job you ether had to sit or work on your knees. The company took every chair and put it out in the back 40. When it came time vote the union Prez recommended a strike. The employees voted to strike, and the strike lasted for about a month.

120870226v13_225x225_Front.jpg

After the strike ended we found out that the company didn't want to go through with their agreements because new management had been hired to run the place. When we went out on strike every concession or benefit that had taken 3 years to negotiate was completely wiped off the table. We later found out everything we had lost. Around the time the strike ended one of my friends that worked on the line said his wife worked at the bank the union Prez banked at, and she said he cashed a very large check that week.

Here at Ft Campbell the union President works out of my shop. I call it work loosely because in the 4 years I've worked there he's never done a day of work. All he does is go to the union headquarters and smoke. Drink coffee. Shoot the shit. Even though no building on post is a smoking area, the union leaders still smoke.

In almost every case the union Steward, union Representative, or the President was lazy as hell. They never worked like the rest of us. They got the job and it gave them an excuse to screw off. I've never needed a union-rep to sit in on a meeting because I did my job and wasn't a trouble-maker. Only the lay-abouts need union representation just to keep their jobs because of calling in sick too much, insubordination, or not doing their job in a satisfactory manner.

This has been my experience with unions. I was wondering about other's experiences.

My union experience was fantastic. The MEBA ran a fantastic school run by Chief Engineers who made half as teachers as they earned at sea. At sea all hands did their jobs thoroughly and earned their pay and their vacations.

I worked on the piers. If you didn't work hard you were gone by noon. I watched longshoreman when we were in port and they moved the cargo fast and safe.

You sound like a union scab to me.

When I retired from the military I started working for a air-conditioning equipment plant in TN. I joined the union shortly after getting the job. I noticed several things in the 8 years I worked there.

We had two union Presidents while I was there. The first contract re-negotiation took place the first year I worked there. At the time the company had hired alot of new employees and the people that had been there for years wanted some time off and wanted to go on strike. Well us new employees wanted to work, so the strike vote failed.

Four years later our contract was up for a vote again. This time the company did some strange things. One thing I noticed is they took every chair out of the plant. Even the run-testers had to stand up 8 hours a day. In order to do that job you ether had to sit or work on your knees. The company took every chair and put it out in the back 40. When it came time vote the union Prez recommended a strike. The employees voted to strike, and the strike lasted for about a month.

After the strike ended we found out that the company didn't want to go through with their agreements because new management had been hired to run the place. When we went out on strike every concession or benefit that had taken 3 years to negotiate was completely wiped off the table. We later found out everything we had lost. Around the time the strike ended one of my friends that worked on the line said his wife worked at the bank the union Prez banked at, and she said he cashed a very large check that week.

Here at Ft Campbell the union President works out of my shop. I call it work loosely because in the 4 years I've worked there he's never done a day of work. All he does is go to the union headquarters and smoke. Drink coffee. Shoot the shit. Even though no building on post is a smoking area, the union leaders still smoke.

In almost every case the union Steward, union Representative, or the President was lazy as hell. They never worked like the rest of us. They got the job and it gave them an excuse to screw off. I've never needed a union-rep to sit in on a meeting because I did my job and wasn't a trouble-maker. Only the lay-abouts need union representation just to keep their jobs because of calling in sick too much, insubordination, or not doing their job in a satisfactory manner.

This has been my experience with unions. I was wondering about other's experiences.

My union experience was fantastic. The MEBA ran a fantastic school run by Chief Engineers who made half as teachers as they earned at sea. At sea all hands did their jobs thoroughly and earned their pay and their vacations.

I worked on the piers. If you didn't work hard you were gone by noon. I watched longshoreman when we were in port and they moved the cargo fast and safe.

Ok one more good union story, My wife's Grandpa was a merchant Marine. He had 52 years at sea. They took good care of him. When he died all my Mother in law had to do was sign papers. They will still come by and check on her.

My grandfather worked for the Arkansas Gazette newspaper for 45 years. (You read that right. 4-1/2 decades at the same company.) He paid his union dues diligently and was supposed to receive a pension. Guess how much he got. Zero.

True story.

Was it a union pension or a company pension? Who funded the pension?

The MEBA screwed my father. My father worked until he was 72 but the union only gave him a pension payment until he was 65. My father didn't go back to sea until he was about 52 so he only had 13 years for his pension.

But I made my father more than $100,000 in the stock market so he was OK along with his SS.

My grandfather worked for the Arkansas Gazette newspaper for 45 years. (You read that right. 4-1/2 decades at the same company.) He paid his union dues diligently and was supposed to receive a pension. Guess how much he got. Zero.

True story.

Was it a union pension or a company pension? Who funded the pension?

The MEBA screwed my father. My father worked until he was 72 but the union only gave him a pension payment until he was 65. My father didn't go back to sea until he was about 52 so he only had 13 years for his pension.

But I made my father more than $100,000 in the stock market so he was OK along with his SS.

I honestly dont know. All I can tell you is that everyone knew him and he was well liked. He also kept everything he ever got in writing. Everything. That last part is awesome. Yhe wife and I are looking into something like that. Wish I could give better info.

The union I worked for believed in Marxism, and redistributing wealth from hard-working, high income people like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears to lunk-headed schmucks who work in coal mines and teach in public schools. Consistent with what Rush Limbaugh has reported, the union was a den of thuggery and violence, punctuated by long periods of laziness, and a pervasive selfishness that involved extorting exorbitant compensation from the noble titans of industry.

Just kidding. My experience is the union does a pretty damn good job of ensuring a fair living wage, routine raises, decent work conditions, good benefits, and they’re a good advocate if there’s ever a work place grievance. They got your back. I've seen that they're also willing to work with management and make concessions, if appropriate, when times are tough. I was surprised to learn in spite of what I learned previously from Mr. Limbaugh, that Unions aren’t bent on destroying their companies and bringing capitalism to its knees. And best of all a decent pension on top of 401(k) options. There’s a reason Republican congressmen won’t give up their federal pensions for some piddly 401(k). Pensions rule, comrades!

Private sector unions are one thing, public sector unions quite another.

My job working for the government is so protected that I wondered why they even have a union. On Ft. Campbell they aren't needed. I also had a job on the West coast. It was the same thing. No unions, great pay and benefits. Once you get a permanent position you've got it made. WTF do you need a union for????

First off, UPS does not require anyone to pay $700.00 to the union. You either misunderstood,or are fabricating reality.

My union experience?
I worked as a merchandiser for seven up. I made $12.00 dollars an hour. Cocacola was unionized as well. They paid $12.00 per hour as well. Both paid double time for over time pay, and offered a benefits package. The job itself was physically demanding, and at times required a tremendous amount of hours. Those "Awful" union dues that everyone is so afraid of came to about $40.00 a month for me.

Pepsi, on the other hand, was a non union job. The pay for them was $5.15 per hour. They did not receive any benefits. Furthermore, the overtime pay for them was time and a half, not even what I made on my regular hourly wages. On top of all that, there were many times where "bosses" would be on the job demeaning the pepsi employees cussing at them,and threatening their jobs. In my case,when I made a mistake, my boss would respectfully speak with me on the matter.

So yes,in my experience, a Union is great to have in many situations.

And what about the chamber of commerce? It is basically a corporate union,or a union to advocate the corporations against the work force. There are other organizations that defend corporations against the workforce. This is ok but labor unions are not? Why is it ok for them?

UPS is not a union. The Teamsters are their union.

Don't try to tell me the Teamsters are Boyscouts.

Pat yourself on the back. You're an exception.

Not in the company and union that I'm part of, but that could be an issue of location as much as anything.

Course no steward is going to say he fucks off. Neither is that President I mention in one of my posts.

I'm the Steward. All that means is that I'm the guy who is supposed to deal with all the Union issues. Hell, I'm the LEAST SENIOR member of our department. Do you really think that the people senior to me are going to let me get away with doing nothing while they work? I don't think so.

Nope. When we were on strike I just filed for unemployment which didn't amount to anything.. I was going to school, working at night delivering pizzas during the strike.

Pat yourself on the back. You're an exception.

Not in the company and union that I'm part of, but that could be an issue of location as much as anything.

Course no steward is going to say he fucks off. Neither is that President I mention in one of my posts.

I'm the Steward. All that means is that I'm the guy who is supposed to deal with all the Union issues. Hell, I'm the LEAST SENIOR member of our department. Do you really think that the people senior to me are going to let me get away with doing nothing while they work? I don't think so.

I started this thread to see what everyone's experiences were. I expected to hear something good and something bad.

Most of my experiences in a few of the shops I worked in were bad. The unions have a racket in some places and in others not so much.

In the plant I worked in after I retired from the military union reps worked for a couple of hours then spent the rest of their shifts walking around talking to girls. The last President we had was a scoundrel and basically screwed us royally by taking a bribe from the company. The company started threatening to close down the plant, then when we went out on strike they knew they were holding all of the cards and offered us a pay increase to erase our seniority. Most of the newer employees took it. Companies will trounce all over you but bad union representation can do just as much damage.

Last edited:

Ok one more good union story, My wife's Grandpa was a merchant Marine. He had 52 years at sea. They took good care of him. When he died all my Mother in law had to do was sign papers. They will still come by and check on her.

Awwwwwwwwww....

I've never been a union member.

But, I have worked at companies that had unions and everytime the union members got a bump, we so called "professional staffers" also got a bump.

Damn good deal thanks to the Unions.

I recall back in the mid 70's working for a publishing company in a warehouse and conditions were terrible ( low pay, poor supervision, lack of management, and safety and equipment issues) Our UPS driver told us we needed to go with the local Teamsters union( if you are bear hunting, go with a Grizzly).
I worked hard getting cards signed for a union vote and we got everyone to sign one. I recall the day the union notified the company of a certified election and there was anger and chaos with all supervision and mangement. Our company was owned by then Bell and Howell from Chicago. They sent in the top HR team and people who busted unions. Major legal battles occured and we won them all. The vote was to unionize and we succeeded.
The company gave us many concessions before the vote and when we negotiated the contract, the only thing that would change was our money we lost in union dues. At 23 yrs old, I held my ground and said this was unacceptable but the Teamsters said this is all they could do in a 3 year contract. The Teamsters were only now interested in getting a contract and then income on dues. The people caved and voted for the poor contract.
At that point, they wanted me to be the union steward, both our employees and union and I said hell no. I said I will just do my job thinking I am going else where. Then the company came to me and said " if you could put a union in the company, you could run our business" Of course that scared the hell out of me as if I went to management, they would fire me in a heart beat. After 6 months I said what the hell and left the lame ass union and went to work as a warehouse supervisor. At 24, I was promoted to run a warehouse of 100 people as the manager.
I then decided this union was not such a good idea. I still had many associates in the ware house and instead of waiting for the end of the first contract to decertify, you also had the ability to de-authorize a union in the middle of a contract ( basically the Taft Hartley 1947 states you could have the right to belong or not, much like today's right to work policy). We did de-authorzie in the 2nd year and the teamsters bascially gave up on us. During that time, the BA who represented us ran for Union president and the old president's car was blown up, the election was so ugly.
Unions do not give a damn about their people, only the cash to hold their power. My father was a life long carpenter union member and when he developed cancer in his 70's, the hopitalization disappered and then they told him the retirement fund he had paid into was stolen. Nice huh?
I am an anti union guy, and I have seen the worst of unions. I am now a 30 yr VP with a company that has 15K employees, all non union. Last time we were petitioned was 5 years ago as our management team knows what needs to be accomplished to keep these blood suckers out. We have HR problems every day but we react and answer them and we try to be as fair as possible. Today's management either does this or they will always have a threat of a union who then reduces your ability to manage.

Last edited:
In the plant I worked in after I retired from the military union reps worked for a couple of hours then spent the rest of their shifts walking around talking to girls. The last President we had was a scoundrel and basically screwed us royally by taking a bribe from the company. The company started threatening to close down the plant, then when we went out on strike they knew they were holding all of the cards and offered us a pay increase to erase our seniority. Most of the newer employees took it. Companies will trounce all over you but bad union representation can do just as much damage.

I'm not going to tell you its Shangra La. Trust me, I've had more headaches and "pound head on wall" moments in the last 30 months than I want to even think about. I spent three hours on Friday explaining to the senior member of my department why he couldn't volunteer to do work that is not part of our job just so he could get more overtime. This is the fourth or fifth time I've had a similar discussion with him this year alone.

However, the benefits have greatly outweighed the costs in my mind. To know that I have a job for as long as I want it (and do my work), at a time when the company is laying off 20% of its non-union workforce is a huge benefit. Especially in today's economy. To know I have a 2.5% pay raise coming in May when I doubt the non-union employees will get anything again.

When we were young things, newly married my husband was a journeyman electrician, he was in contruction so we travelled a lot to big jobs. Expensive that travel was, rents were jacked up cause the cities and towns knew the construction workers were coming. At the job site almost every day one or another of the shops were on strike and the electricians had to honor those strikes so you did not work.. We got to pay dues though but we did not work. long story short, after we got back home I said to my husband let's go take a car ride and look at the bosses house.. Well,, needless to say he was rich and we were dirt poor.. So, we decided to leave the IBEW and that wasn't taken well but we live in a right to work state and we settled for a job that paid less per hour but the pay was consistant and never interrupted. That taught me a valuable lesson. While husband worked I got a good education a good job and worked at it for 30 years. We aren't rich but we are comfortable. I've often wondered how our union counterparts did..

I'm not going to tell you its Shangra La. Trust me, I've had more headaches and "pound head on wall" moments in the last 30 months than I want to even think about. I spent three hours on Friday explaining to the senior member of my department why he couldn't volunteer to do work that is not part of our job just so he could get more overtime. This is the fourth or fifth time I've had a similar discussion with him this year alone.

However, the benefits have greatly outweighed the costs in my mind. To know that I have a job for as long as I want it (and do my work), at a time when the company is laying off 20% of its non-union workforce is a huge benefit. Especially in today's economy. To know I have a 2.5% pay raise coming in May when I doubt the non-union employees will get anything again.

Government employees don't need a union. It's redundant. There are so many regulations that protect them a union is just extra money out of your pocket.

Forum List

Back