Tell us something nobody would ever expect about you..

Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia
The only reason I can tell this is because my father is dead..

When I was 16 my dad turned in drug dealers and we went into the federal witness program. That is how I ended up in New Orleans. I went to school one morning and got called out for a dentist appt., or so I thought. I never returned to that school. That is when I found out that my dad was going in the witness protection program and we had to move. That night we were in a hotel when the drug bust went down. It was the most scariest night of my life, not knowing if my dad was going to make it out there alive or not. The next morning we flew to Nashville TN with me and 3 of my 4 brothers.

My older brother was in college in Ohio and the Feds said he can go with us and then go back to college since he was not in our state. When we got to Nashville the Feds said he could not go back to college. Since he had a full scholarship for baseball my dad risked his life and we went back to PA so he can go back to college. The Feds would not pay for us to go back because it was against their wishes so we went to a catholic church and asked for help by the priest. The priest wen to the back and never came back . I guess he was scared. My dad was a very religious and that day he said he would never go back to another catholic church. Even though we were very poor( the reason my dad decided to go in the witness protection program to get out of poverty) we always gave to the church.

We went back to PA but could not go back to our old house so my oldest brother who was married had his FIL give us a place to live he was a retired state cop so we felt safe there. We were there for 2 weeks when the feds called and said my dad was not safe anymore and we flew to Raliegh NC with just me and two of my 4 brothers . My other brother went back to college in Ohio. The Feds felt that NC was not far away enough from Pittsburgh so we ended up in New Orleans. We had to change our last names. Tell them we were not from Pittsburgh but we picked out a town by closing our eyes and it hit on Leroy NY which is out of Rochester. What was funny is when we were in North Carolina my brothers and I were in the hot tub and this girl came in and was talking to my brother Troy she asked where we were from and we said Leroy NY and she says No kidding I am from Rochester and have friends in Leroy. She asked us what street we lived on. Getting nervous since we knew nothing about that city I told my brother we had to go.

It was very hard to move to a big city since we lived in a small town outside Pittsburgh. I would have had only 250 graduating class to a class of over 1500. I had to remember a new last name and make up stuff from NY which I knew nothing about . People asked why were were Steelers fan LOL I told my husband the night before we got married even though then I was not allowed to tell anyone about it since my dad was still alive but I did not want to keep anything from him. I was afraid he was going to leave me but he told me I am marrying you and not your name. My dad was not a drug dealer but work in manufacturing and knew the drug dealers. He felt this was our ticket out of poverty to start fresh some where else. He also felt like he got a big time drug dealer off the streets. Everyone who is involved in the drug case is either dead or in their 80s . This happened in the early 80s .. If we wanted to write to anyone we had to write through the FBI . No one could know where we were. About 8 years after my dad got in ,he felt he could not be away from his grand children so he moved back to PA against the wishes of the FBI.He and my mom and youngest brother moved about 80 miles north of Pittsburgh he kept our new name. My other brother stayed in New Orleans and so did I since I had married my hubby by then. At first I was so angry with my dad for up rooting us and leaving all our friends and family but to me if he had not done that I would have not met the best person in the world my hubby. When my father passed away we had to contact the FBI. They came to the hospital and took blood to make sure it was not foul play.. I have 4 brothers total and one sister. Two of my brothers have our old last name and two have the new one even though they are full siblings. It did not matter for me and my sister since we married. My youngest brother wanted to change back to our old name and contacted the FBI a few years ago but my other brother did not since he was married and already had a child. FBI said we could not change unless we all changed including my mother. So my youngest brother just dropped it.. Ok I know I wrote a book but this is the story about me :p

Very intersting story.

It must have been very painful to have to lie about who you were.

That is amazing, thank you for sharing. Even though it must have been hard so many times, thankfully you were all o.k. and protected. I'm sorry for the loss of your father; he seems to have had all your best interests at heart :)

IT was very painful at time. It was so hard leaving in my junior year to an area that I lived my whole life. We had to leave my sister and brother up there with all my nieces at the time. Even close family could not know where we were. I always say things that dont kill us makes us stronger. I truly believe that. My hubby wants me to write a book about my experience.

Um..I howl at the moon alot.

And along with my companion dog..we keep a pet cat.

Although we can never seem to find her.

$muto.jpg

Oh..and my girlfriend is a zombie.

$lindazombie.jpg

Luckily she hates werewolf, dog and cat meat.

What the heck- it's a fun story...

I lived south of Knoxville in the early 80's. Paging through an Edmund Scientific catalog, I spotted a cool plastic hardhat with a solar cell and propeller on top. The World's Fair was being built in downtown Knoxville and the theme was "Energy Turns the World". Energy. Turns. :D

So I teamed up with a friend, we got a license from the Fair Committee, and ordered these things by the gross. We ended up selling hundreds of these things, partied our asses off and had the time of our lives.

The day before the Fair opened, the Today Show was broadcasting live from the Fair site. My friend said we were going down there to meet the cast and crew and give away some hats. I told him he's crazy and we'd get busted and thrown in jail. This guy was nuts. So we pinned our season passes onto our suit lapels and boxed up a few dozen hats. He told me "look straight ahead, don't make eye contact with security, and walk through that gate like you own the place". Goddamn if it didn't work.

So we chummed it up with the crew and handed out some hats. Folks thought they were the neatest thing. Official World's Fair logo and all. When they went to a commercial break we introduced ourselves to Jane Pauley, Bryant Gumble, and Willard Scott. Just when we thought it couldn't have gone better, Gumble and Scott are getting ready to go back on air.... they grab a couple of hats, step back into the sunlight (propellers spinning), and start the segment talking up those damn hats.
I mean what's this worth? Probably a hundred grand worth of advertising for nothing- broadcast live coast to coast. Fuck yeah! :thup:

Forum List

Back