Tell Me Why..

I'm hoping you're not suggesting that public sector workers don't pay taxes. You cannot separate the two populations-because the public sector workers are a part of the taxpayers.

Ah, the canard of the left. (If you're a teacher, look it up!)

See if you can wrap your mind around this...

Jane has three children. Jane is strapped for cash, what with paying rent and buying food.

So Jane looked at what Barack Obama would do and decided that HE had divinely imparted the answer to her. She need to make here children government workers.

So Jane gave each child $500 a week in pay, BUT here is the kicker, Jane is making each child pay 10% of their pay in taxes.

Now Jane can retire in ease and comfort, living off the taxes she collects.

That's the "entitled public servant" economic lesson for the day, children. If you attend public school, you WILL be taught something similar.

:cuckoo: do you think the gvt wouldn't collect taxes from these people if they worked in the private sector?

maybe i missed your point?

public sector workers get paid so much, have practically free benefits, free retirement, and almost never get fired? Because we the taxpayers are paying for it!!
Suckers.....

I'm hoping you're not suggesting that public sector workers don't pay taxes. You cannot separate the two populations-because the public sector workers are a part of the taxpayers.

With that said teachers are underpaid (at least here in Florida). They make about $45K per year or so.Their salaries has to be compared to others who have their credentials (college graduates). This is well below what the median income for college grads is here. So the benefits they receive (that they pay into-just as much as anybody else does), are more incentive to get better public workers.

The less money/benefits we give to public sector workers like firefighters, police officers, teachers-the more that ones who's more qualified are going to seek employment else where.

$45K for 10 months of 40 hrs a week work, full healthcare and a full pension after 20 years is damn good. It's more than the branch manager at the nearest credit union makes. It's what the assistant manager at the closest Publix makes. It's not great pay and the potential isn't sky high like the private sector but the job security makes it a great trade off for most. It's about what an E-7 makes at 12-13 years of service, and the education requirements are comparable.

public sector workers get paid so much, have practically free benefits, free retirement, and almost never get fired? Because we the taxpayers are paying for it!!
Suckers.....

Also, we dont have free benefits, I pay out the wazoo for my health care, I pay out the wazoo for my retirement, and even pay into a TSP for a separate retirement to help me out down the road some. Out of my whole check, I pay more then half of it in Taxes and benefits and retirement, again...I don't see where you are getting your information from, but wherever it is they are wrong.

I will give you an example from my last check how much I had to pay for my BENEFITS:

RETIREMENT 23.84
TSP-FERS 18.34
SOCIAL SECURITY (OASDI) 70.40
FEDERAL TAX EXEMPTS S01 209.67
ST TAX WV EXEMPTS N02 59.00
FEGLI- COVERAGE $50,000 7.50
OPT FEGLI-AGE BRACKET 2 10.00
FEHBA "Health Care Plan" 122.53
DENTAL PLAN 25.72
VISION PLAN 9.11
SAVINGS ACCT 103981 75.00
MEDICARE TAX WITHHELD 24.31

Totaling: $655.42

This is how much comes out of just one of my checks every two weeks, $655.42. Do you still believe I get all these benefits for free now and that YOU have to pay for all of it?

All of your taxes, savings, retirement, insurance, health, and dental cost less than my high deductible healthcare insurance policy. Cry me a river.

Their benefits are not free. That's absurd.

A compensation package is what you get in exchange for the work you do. Benefits are part of that compensation,

in other words, they are part of the pay for your work.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

yep, my older sister is a teacher and she worked every summer and took on an extra class and taught at the high school's night educational school, teaching 'english as a second language' course, (plus continued her education to get her master's degree) until she hit 50....now she takes the summers off....makes less money though, by giving up teaching summer school.

All for extra money right?

I've never had a job making more than $40K that didn't require year round long hours.

:cuckoo: do you think the gvt wouldn't collect taxes from these people if they worked in the private sector?

The canard of the left is that public workers pay taxes, so the private sector isn't really supporting them, they're supporting themselves.

Jane in the story found out the reality of that claim.

I'm a public sector worker, and wish I got paid a fortune, to be honest, if there are public sector workers making a fortune, I would like to know where they are and what they are doing, because I don't see it anywhere.
I make $48,000 a year working in a Federal Prison, it's average pay for the job, I am in no way rich or getting rich from it.
I think that the media is spinning this whole public sector thing, and some of you are buying into it, it's not the worker, it's the union leadership that is making the fortune.

Guards in State Prisons here in Michigan start at 25k. I would say 48k is a tad more than that.

I notice also that you did not mention your benefits.

A compensation package is what you get in exchange for the work you do. Benefits are part of that compensation,

In that case his compensation is closer to $150K a year than $45K - after all, he'll draw $38K a year after 20 years of service, for the rest of his life. If he retires at 45 and lives to 85, that's $1.5 million.

Most of us contribute just about 100% of our retirement. I'm lucky, my employer kicks 3% into my 401K, but a lot don't. I pay 25% of my health insurance, the company picks up the other 75%. Most public sector workers pay less than 2%

You're right, it's a total compensation package - and those given to public employees are PHAT.

Last edited:
yep, my older sister is a teacher and she worked every summer and took on an extra class and taught at the high school's night educational school, teaching 'english as a second language' course, (plus continued her education to get her master's degree) until she hit 50....now she takes the summers off....makes less money though, by giving up teaching summer school.

I've never had a job making more than $40K that didn't require year round long hours.

uh, who said her pay was more than 40k.... she had 12 years teaching experience when she moved to her new state...they hired her at around 30k, that's it! so she offered to teach an extra class for more money and she started teaching night school for extra money and she took on summer school for extra money....
so who knows what your trying to get at aster?

Of course they;re not, millions of unemployed private sector workers who actually are affected by reality are paying for benefits and pay for public sector parasites who feel they should NEVER be laid off or make concessions.

Suckers.....

With that said teachers are underpaid (at least here in Florida). They make about $45K per year or so.Their salaries has to be compared to others who have their credentials (college graduates). This is well below what the median income for college grads is here. So the benefits they receive (that they pay into-just as much as anybody else does), are more incentive to get better public workers.

The less money/benefits we give to public sector workers like firefighters, police officers, teachers-the more that ones who's more qualified are going to seek employment else where.

$45K for 10 months of 40 hrs a week work, full healthcare and a full pension after 20 years is damn good. It's more than the branch manager at the nearest credit union makes. It's what the assistant manager at the closest Publix makes. It's not great pay and the potential isn't sky high like the private sector but the job security makes it a great trade off for most. It's about what an E-7 makes at 12-13 years of service, and the education requirements are comparable.

First of all you don't need to have a college degree to be an assistant manager at Publix-you need it to become a teacher. Also Publix is a bad example, as they give their workers a lot of benefits.

Teachers work longer than 40 hours though. The highschools by me start at 7:30, get out at 2:45. That's a little more than 7 hours. However teachers are there for about an hour after school gets out (helping students who need help, meetings, etc), and also get there about a half hour before classes. So they work more than 8 hours a day (at least at the highschool I went to).

This would be regular full-time, but that's not factoring in the hours spent at home getting lesson plans ready, meeting with parents, staff meetings, grading papers/projects/tests, surveys from the district. So there's a more to teaching than just showing up, teaching, and going home.

Plus others have the opportunity to become teachers, nobody is stopping anybody else form being a teacher (as long as you meet the requirements). And teachers pay taxes.

Lastly teachers are just one portion of the public sector. Other workers like police offers, and fire fighters don't get summers off. They're some of the hardest working people in the country.

uh, who said her pay was more than 40k.... she had 12 years teaching experience when she moved to her new state...they hired her at around 30k, that's it! so she offered to teach an extra class for more money and she started teaching night school for extra money and she took on summer school for extra money....

She didn't make more than $10K extra for those jobs?

The canard of the left is that public workers pay taxes, so the private sector isn't really supporting them, they're supporting themselves.

Jane in the story found out the reality of that claim.

They work for the private sector, because they work for the government, and we have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. The government is a company owned by the people, that has people working for it.

In that case his compensation is closer to $150K a year than $45K - after all, he'll draw $38K a year after 20 years of service, for the rest of his life. If he retires at 45 and lives to 85, that's $1.5 million.

Most of us contribute just about 100% of our retirement. I'm lucky, my employer kicks 3% into my 401K, but a lot don't. I pay 25% of my health insurance, the company picks up the other 75%. Most public sector workers pay less than 2%

You're right, it's a total compensation package - and those given to public employees are PHAT.

Public employees don't make any more money than private sector employees at the same level of education and training.

You think the average teacher with a master's degree makes more than the average MBA?

Really? That is what you think?

Prove it.

Of course they;re not, millions of unemployed private sector workers who actually are affected by reality are paying for benefits and pay for public sector parasites who feel they should NEVER be laid off or make concessions.

Here we go, attacking our men and women in uniform again.

sure she did....the 3 jobs got her above the 40 k but she worked YEAR ROUND to get it...

NOT AS this comment implied:

Suckers.....

There are no free lunches

Only in your fantasy world

Ah, the canard of the left. (If you're a teacher, look it up!)

See if you can wrap your mind around this...

Jane has three children. Jane is strapped for cash, what with paying rent and buying food.

So Jane looked at what Barack Obama would do and decided that HE had divinely imparted the answer to her. She need to make here children government workers.

So Jane gave each child $500 a week in pay, BUT here is the kicker, Jane is making each child pay 10% of their pay in taxes.

Now Jane can retire in ease and comfort, living off the taxes she collects.

That's the "entitled public servant" economic lesson for the day, children. If you attend public school, you WILL be taught something similar.
I'm sure you're trying tell us something. I'm just not too sure what you're trying to say. So, I guess we are to assume that Jane has a lot kids.

Suckers.....

That branch manger may or may not have a 4 year degree. Just about every full time teacher in the country has a degree and often a masters which cost that teacher something in the range of $30,000 to $200,000. The cost doesn't end there. Every teacher is required by law to continue their education which is often at their own expense, something that your branch manger doesn't have to worry about. Classroom room expenses are again out of the pocket of the teacher. When that branch manger is a credit union manger, that school teacher will probably still be teaching your kids. And when that branch that moves on to become a comptroller at another financial institution, that teacher will probably still be in the classroom. What most people don't realize is that teaching is a dead in job. Opportunity for advancement is poor. Opportunity to achieve real financial success is non-existent.

sure she did....the 3 jobs got her above the 40 k but she worked YEAR ROUND to get it...

NOT AS this comment implied:

So she worked long hours year round. What's your point?

New Topics

Forum List

Back