Tell Me Why..

some public sector workers get paid a fortune, like many of those working in DC.... and some public sector workers, don't get paid alot, like teachers...for the most part....yes, in some states they get fairly good money, but in most states they are paid lower than those in the private sector with the same level of education is what I read about 4 years ago....

I'm a public sector worker, and wish I got paid a fortune, to be honest, if there are public sector workers making a fortune, I would like to know where they are and what they are doing, because I don't see it anywhere.
I make $48,000 a year working in a Federal Prison, it's average pay for the job, I am in no way rich or getting rich from it.
I think that the media is spinning this whole public sector thing, and some of you are buying into it, it's not the worker, it's the union leadership that is making the fortune.

public sector workers get paid so much, have practically free benefits, free retirement, and almost never get fired? Because we the taxpayers are paying for it!!
Suckers.....

What defines "paid so much?"

Every career at the CIA is a rewarding one. In addition to serving your country with the certainty that your work makes a difference, the CIA offers a comprehensive benefits package to reflect the dedication and contributions of our employees.

WORK LIFE BALANCE

Paid Time Off
Annual Leave
Sick Leave
Family Friendly Leave
Medical Leave Bank
Home Leave
Holidays
Alternative Work Schedules and Hours
Moving Expenses
Personal and Family Support
Family Advisory Board
Dependent Scholarships
Child Care
Fitness and Recreation Programs {This includes home laptops, ski boats, staying in lodges, Gym work outs, etc.)
Salary
Credit Union
Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program (SLRAP)

HEALTH and WELL-BEING

Health Insurance
Flexible Spending Plans
Life Insurance
Supplemental Insurance

LONG TERM PLANNING

Education and Training
Retirement
Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)
Voluntary Investment Plan
Career Transition Plan

Last edited:
Yep.
In most cases the politician who made these contracts with them is long out of office before the pensions and in some cases legacy medical costs come due.

Once the union foot is in the door its hard to swing that bastard shut again.

Who's left to blame?? Good question.

public sector workers get paid so much, have practically free benefits, free retirement, and almost never get fired? Because we the taxpayers are paying for it!!
Suckers.....

I'm hoping you're not suggesting that public sector workers don't pay taxes. You cannot separate the two populations-because the public sector workers are a part of the taxpayers.

With that said teachers are underpaid (at least here in Florida). They make about $45K per year or so.Their salaries has to be compared to others who have their credentials (college graduates). This is well below what the median income for college grads is here. So the benefits they receive (that they pay into-just as much as anybody else does), are more incentive to get better public workers.

The less money/benefits we give to public sector workers like firefighters, police officers, teachers-the more that ones who's more qualified are going to seek employment else where.

Suckers.....

Because they pay dues which are in turn funneled into Democrat coffers, and in return your tax dollars are used to reward them with generous benefits to ensure said taxdollars keep flowing into Democrat coffers.

Last edited:
governments are broke because of the Wall street shenanigans and crash which has caused the recession...to blame the workers is a bit of an over reach....and some jealousy in there too, i suppose....

Sure, I believe that there needs to be reform in some of their benefits due to the crisis we are in and due to the fact that many of these benefits that they got from negotiations years ago, they got because the gvt needed to keep up with the benefits of the private sector...but the private sector for the most part, got rid of those benefits little by little, like retirement pensions, a good 20 years ago... and moved on to the 401k/company match....the private sector also had moved on to making the worker contribute more and more for their own health insurance.....many of those benefits that gvt workers have gotten and kept, are disintegrating in the private sector....

I agree Reform is needed, like having them contribute a higher percentage towards their benefits, comparable to the private sector....but to abolish negotiating with the union, is not necessary, imo

Public sector workers give up the opportunity to share in the growth of a company. For most public sector workers, new job positions are rarely created. So to advance one may have to wait many years for a higher level position to open up. As a government worker, you'll never get a bonus because you or your organization did well or stock options or profit sharing.

In order to keep employees, government offers stable employment and often better healthcare and retirement benefits as compared to private industry. Without these benefits, there is little reason to work for the government.

Graphically represented:

Taxpayer $$$ -> Government $$ -> Public Sector Employees $$-> Union $$-> Democrats/Government $$ -> Public Sector Employees.

Last edited:
Don't forget to factor in 3 months paid summer vacation...

Suckers.....

I'm hoping you're not suggesting that public sector workers don't pay taxes. You cannot separate the two populations-because the public sector workers are a part of the taxpayers.

With that said teachers are underpaid (at least here in Florida). They make about $45K per year or so.Their salaries has to be compared to others who have their credentials (college graduates). This is well below what the median income for college grads is here. So the benefits they receive (that they pay into-just as much as anybody else does), are more incentive to get better public workers.

The less money/benefits we give to public sector workers like firefighters, police officers, teachers-the more that ones who's more qualified are going to seek employment else where.

so, are you saying that all teachers and firefighters and policemen, and all who work in DC, and state offices, and for the DOT etc etc etc etc, are all voting Democrats?

Suckers.....

What defines "paid so much?"

Every career at the CIA is a rewarding one. In addition to serving your country with the certainty that your work makes a difference, the CIA offers a comprehensive benefits package to reflect the dedication and contributions of our employees.

WORK LIFE BALANCE

Paid Time Off
Annual Leave
Sick Leave
Family Friendly Leave
Medical Leave Bank
Home Leave
Holidays
Alternative Work Schedules and Hours
Moving Expenses
Personal and Family Support
Family Advisory Board
Dependent Scholarships
Child Care
Fitness and Recreation Programs {This includes home laptops, ski boats, staying in lodges, Gym work outs, etc.)
Salary
Credit Union
Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program (SLRAP)

HEALTH and WELL-BEING

Health Insurance
Flexible Spending Plans
Life Insurance
Supplemental Insurance

LONG TERM PLANNING

Education and Training
Retirement
Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)
Voluntary Investment Plan
Career Transition Plan
Some years ago, I interviewed for the CIA. To be considered you had to have some rather special skills and a lot of education, at least a 4 year degree and often advanced degrees. I never found out exactly what they paid, but I expect I did better financially by taking a job in the private sector.

Suckers.....

First of all I've never heard of a police officer or a fire fighter getting a 3-month paid vacation.

Secondly teachers usually work other jobs over the summer. They also do more than just the school day hours, they make lesson plans, grade papers/tests/projects, meet with parents, and other teachers. Teachers aren't lazy, and just because they get a summer "off" aka-out of the classroom, doesn't mean they're not working.

Suckers.....

Also, we dont have free benefits, I pay out the wazoo for my health care, I pay out the wazoo for my retirement, and even pay into a TSP for a separate retirement to help me out down the road some. Out of my whole check, I pay more then half of it in Taxes and benefits and retirement, again...I don't see where you are getting your information from, but wherever it is they are wrong.

I will give you an example from my last check how much I had to pay for my BENEFITS:

RETIREMENT 23.84
TSP-FERS 18.34
SOCIAL SECURITY (OASDI) 70.40
FEDERAL TAX EXEMPTS S01 209.67
ST TAX WV EXEMPTS N02 59.00
FEGLI- COVERAGE $50,000 7.50
OPT FEGLI-AGE BRACKET 2 10.00
FEHBA "Health Care Plan" 122.53
DENTAL PLAN 25.72
VISION PLAN 9.11
SAVINGS ACCT 103981 75.00
MEDICARE TAX WITHHELD 24.31

Totaling: $655.42

This is how much comes out of just one of my checks every two weeks, $655.42. Do you still believe I get all these benefits for free now and that YOU have to pay for all of it?

First of all I've never heard of a police officer or a fire fighter getting a 3-month paid vacation.

Secondly teachers usually work other jobs over the summer. They also do more than just the school day hours, they make lesson plans, grade papers/tests/projects, meet with parents, and other teachers. Teachers aren't lazy, and just because they get a summer "off" aka-out of the classroom, doesn't mean they're not working.

My little Bro is a school teacher, and trust me, he takes the summer off and doesn't work during it.

some public sector workers get paid a fortune, like many of those working in DC.... and some public sector workers, don't get paid alot, like teachers...for the most part....yes, in some states they get fairly good money, but in most states they are paid lower than those in the private sector with the same level of education is what I read about 4 years ago....
The vast majority of public sector jobs are under civil service, either federal, state, or local. Unlike private sector jobs, salaries are determined by job studies of similar jobs in the private sector. The starting pay is usually set about 10% below the private sector job. The salaries of public sector jobs are public record.

At the highest level of government, the jobs are filled by political appointments. The salary of these jobs may seem high to some, but most people that accept these jobs take substantial pay cuts. For example cabinet members make less than $200,000 a year. I doubt you will find anyone in the private sector with the responsibilities of the Secretary of State or Secretary of Defense that makes less.

Last edited:

My little Bro is a school teacher, and trust me, he takes the summer off and doesn't work during it.

That's one individual. My mother's a teacher and works every summer.

yep, my older sister is a teacher and she worked every summer and took on an extra class and taught at the high school's night educational school, teaching 'english as a second language' course, (plus continued her education to get her master's degree) until she hit 50....now she takes the summers off....makes less money though, by giving up teaching summer school.

Ah, the canard of the left. (If you're a teacher, look it up!)

See if you can wrap your mind around this...

Jane has three children. Jane is strapped for cash, what with paying rent and buying food.

So Jane looked at what Barack Obama would do and decided that HE had divinely imparted the answer to her. She need to make here children government workers.

So Jane gave each child $500 a week in pay, BUT here is the kicker, Jane is making each child pay 10% of their pay in taxes.

Now Jane can retire in ease and comfort, living off the taxes she collects.

That's the "entitled public servant" economic lesson for the day, children. If you attend public school, you WILL be taught something similar.

Forum List

Back