Tell me again why we give US taxpayer money to N Korea

So, NO ONE has the cost estimates? Really?

And as to the analogy, we give humanitarian aid because we are supposed to be a humanitarian country and God fearing at that. Giving aid to the innocent people of NK has nothing to do with NK's intention to launch a satellite, IMHO. If you feel differently, please explain.

The comparison is silly because it's not an either/or situation.

And yes, I feel differently. First, if we are a humanitarian country as you claim, then certainly our citizens will have no problem sending THEIR money to N Korea. Sending other people's money? Not the same thing. Not even close.

Secondly, the people of N Korea are not "innocent". They're communists. Ignorant, sure, but hardly innocent. This is true of all central planners by the way. Personally, when the people of N Korea muster the balls to overthrow their dear leader, I'll be the first one to send aid...or a rifle. Until then, let them prove to the world just how wonderful their worker's paradise is.

Lastly, justify spending money on N Korea with this staring us in the face:

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

How will you be paying your share? Cash or check?

First, if we are a humanitarian country as you claim, then certainly our citizens will have no problem sending THEIR money to N Korea. Sending other people's money? Not the same thing. Not even close.

Are you somehow believing that "their" money is different than "other peoples'" money that the government would send?

Secondly, the people of N Korea are not "innocent". They're communists. Ignorant, sure, but hardly innocent.

Using this logic, do you also believe that all German civilians were Nazis prior to, and during WWII?

And finally, I think it is BULLSHIT that my tax dollars are spent on any other country than my own. We have charity after charity that cannot keep up with the needs of our OWN people, and yet we spend trillions of dollars and countless lives to invade Iraq and Afghanistan for NO purposeful gain, and now we want to send money to Haiti, and finally North Korea.

And yes, I feel differently. First, if we are a humanitarian country as you claim, then certainly our citizens will have no problem sending THEIR money to N Korea. Sending other people's money? Not the same thing. Not even close.

Secondly, the people of N Korea are not "innocent". They're communists. Ignorant, sure, but hardly innocent. This is true of all central planners by the way. Personally, when the people of N Korea muster the balls to overthrow their dear leader, I'll be the first one to send aid...or a rifle. Until then, let them prove to the world just how wonderful their worker's paradise is.

I disagree with this. The people of North Korea are surely victims of a horrible government. I don't care whether they think communism is a good idea or not.

You make a good point. Perhaps I was too harsh. I'd like to think the people in N Korea would choose another path but as the years go on without a revolution, I wonder. Perhaps they're just too brainwashed to think for themselves...and that is sad.

That said, I would argue giving them money only prolongs their situation...like giving a junkie just one more fix. Either way, Americans are free to send their own money.

North Korea is nothing more than a cult of personality...

They're a self segregated nation and the majority don't understand the concept of freedom or liberalism..

I don't know if you're familiar with 1984 but North Korea is similar to Orwell's totalitarian interpretation...

The only way for those poor souls to be liberated is by force...

Hell, even individuals who do manage to escape - it takes years for them to assimilate to a "liberal" society...

And finally, I think it is BULLSHIT that my tax dollars are spent on any other country than my own.

Then we're in agreement.

Geez, that was painful.

You'll have to forgive Yank, he can be smart and make good points, but he always has to throw in some partisan jibberish it seems. If he could stop with that, it'd be great.

But you kinda have to deal with a lot of partisan stuff on this board anyways i guess.

I disagree with this. The people of North Korea are surely victims of a horrible government. I don't care whether they think communism is a good idea or not.

You make a good point. Perhaps I was too harsh. I'd like to think the people in N Korea would choose another path but as the years go on without a revolution, I wonder. Perhaps they're just too brainwashed to think for themselves...and that is sad.

That said, I would argue giving them money only prolongs their situation...like giving a junkie just one more fix. Either way, Americans are free to send their own money.

Or perhaps they're just too hungry and too poor to be able to resist meaningfully.

And as to the analogy, we give humanitarian aid because we are supposed to be a humanitarian country and God fearing at that. Giving aid to the innocent people of NK has nothing to do with NK's intention to launch a satellite, IMHO. If you feel differently, please explain.

We're not supposed to mention god and government in the same sentence.

In fact every time Bam Bam says god bless America at a tax payer funded microphone being guarded by tax payer funded secret service agents he is violating the Constitution

And when humanitarian aid is basically funding the nuclear ambitions of a rogue state you call it a good choice because it's cheaper than the ill conceived war in Iraq?

How much of that food aid went to the 'innocent people' of NK and how much went to feed the NK Army? Where do you think the billion dollars it cost to launch the ICBM came from? That billion dollars would have bought a lot of food.

As soon as the masses of NK's flee to China because they are starving, China will give them food aid to go back home.

Forum List

Back