Tell me again about the war on Christians

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
If you want to help carry out the anti-abortion mission of the taxpayer-funded Care Net Pregnancy Resource Center, you have to be a Christian.

It’s right there on the Rapid City, S.D., center’s volunteer application.

“Do you consider yourself a Christian?” “If yes, how long have you been a Christian?” “As a Christian, what is the basis of your salvation?” “Please provide the following information concerning your local church. Church name … Denomination … Pastor’s name.” “This organization is a Christian pro-life ministry. We believe that our faith in Jesus Christ empowers us, enables us, and motivates us to provide pregnancy services in this community. Please write a brief statement about how your faith would affect your volunteer work at this center.”

But that hasn’t stopped the center from receiving federal funding and other forms of government support.

Actually, this is a good thing. Because South Dakota won't let a woman get an abortion until she's had anti-abortion counseling - this place would be the third. In the entire state. Wonderful odds, though since there is only one Planned Parenthood in all of South Dakota.

So my question of course is this: How do they qualify for federal funding? They even got $34k from the President's stimulus. Well done, Mr. President.

It's a wonderful article. Enjoy. Well - you know. If you actually read, and don't just knee-jerk react.

http://www.alternet.org/story/15512...tax_dollars?akid=8643.1068945.2GYxeZ&rd=1&t=2

• Banned
Funny how they think that only non-believers would need counseling.

The state-funded Pregnancy Care Center in Tampa, Fla., has this message for prospective volunteers (emphasis is original):

Our doors are open to women who do not know where else to turn, women searching for answers and help with unexpected pregnancies. Women who need honest information and material items for their baby.

Women who need Jesus!

YOU can be the one to introduce them to Jesus and help them make life-changing decisions.

Becoming a volunteer at the Pregnancy Care Center has great rewards!

It's surprising they're getting away with this...
How can they do it if they're federally funded, to require someone to be a Christian to be hired is discrimination. I'm Christian, but i don't understand this or agree with it....

How can they do it if they're federally funded, to require someone to be a Christian to be hired is discrimination. I'm Christian, but i don't understand this or agree with it....

If they were hiring people with those filters I'm sure it would be. Note, however, the use of the term "volunteer". It's hard to make the argument in court that someone not letting you volunteer for something did any sort of harm to you.

Seems like a silly basis to want them stripped of funds, if you're the type of person that believes that the government should be using tax dollars to fund random charities in the first place. A better question, if that last condition is true for you, is whether or not, as a charity, this group is actually doing something that benefits the community.

Seems hard to equate counselling someone with an unplanned pregnancy to take what you consider to be the necessary moral high ground, to profiting off of misery.

Also, on a side note, there's nothing wrong with profiting off of misery, so long as you're not the one causing the misery. Misery, frustration, need, want, and the rest of the entire range of degrees of dissatisfaction are what drive desire and innovation and, therefore, every single exchange of goods and services that happens.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jb9HkcBPks&feature=g-vrec]Rick Perry defends anti-gay ad 'Strong', says people should not have 'freedom from religion' - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Tkmnm1y2A&feature=plcp]Christians Want Gay People Fired - YouTube[/ame]

and it will breed people like this. (and how some forum-goers act)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSKReGF6Iww&feature=plcp]Unstable Christian Lady in Coffee Shop - YouTube[/ame]

Ehh, can't blame Christianity for people like Rick Perry saying stupid shit and making comparisons that don't make a shit bit of sense. You may be able to attribute some of his particular views to popular Christian values, but if Rick Perry were Muslim, in stead, he'd be a stupid Muslim, and if he were an atheist, he'd be a stupid atheist, and he'd still be making ridiculous comparisons that don't make sense, he'd just be using them to support a different doctrine.

Religion doesn't breed stupidity. Religion just gives stupidity more stuff to talk about.

Ehh, can't blame Christianity for people like Rick Perry saying stupid shit and making comparisons that don't make a shit bit of sense. You may be able to attribute some of his particular views to popular Christian values, but if Rick Perry were Muslim, in stead, he'd be a stupid Muslim, and if he were an atheist, he'd be a stupid atheist, and he'd still be making ridiculous comparisons that don't make sense, he'd just be using them to support a different doctrine.

Religion doesn't breed stupidity. Religion just gives stupidity more stuff to talk about.

Religion manipulates stupidity into more stupidity.
They could learn better, but all religion does is keep them ignorant, so the more they learn, the more religion talks to keep them stupid. And what about religious parents forcing it down their kids's throat or baiting kids in general, or even trying to put it into schools (or even just trying to have "abstinence only" sex ed?)? Thats breeding more stupidity.

If you want to help carry out the anti-abortion mission of the taxpayer-funded Care Net Pregnancy Resource Center, you have to be a Christian.

It’s right there on the Rapid City, S.D., center’s volunteer application.

“Do you consider yourself a Christian?” “If yes, how long have you been a Christian?” “As a Christian, what is the basis of your salvation?” “Please provide the following information concerning your local church. Church name … Denomination … Pastor’s name.” “This organization is a Christian pro-life ministry. We believe that our faith in Jesus Christ empowers us, enables us, and motivates us to provide pregnancy services in this community. Please write a brief statement about how your faith would affect your volunteer work at this center.”

But that hasn’t stopped the center from receiving federal funding and other forms of government support.

Actually, this is a good thing. Because South Dakota won't let a woman get an abortion until she's had anti-abortion counseling - this place would be the third. In the entire state. Wonderful odds, though since there is only one Planned Parenthood in all of South Dakota.

So my question of course is this: How do they qualify for federal funding? They even got $34k from the President's stimulus. Well done, Mr. President.

It's a wonderful article. Enjoy. Well - you know. If you actually read, and don't just knee-jerk react.

How Christian Groups Push Right-Wing Religion With the Help of Your Tax Dollars | | AlterNet

I didn't see anything in the application saying they wouldn't accept a non-Christian. I volunteer at a Church and I'm not even a member of it, I have a key and everything. Of course, I didn't even have to fill out an app, I was volunteered by my friend who is a member.

When you come back and say you tried to volunteer and they wouldn't accept you because you weren't Christian, then we'll talk, until then it's just speculation.

BTW, our city is home to World Vision..a big Christian organization. You have to be Christian to work for them and to me, they are one of the most unChristianlike organizations I've ever seen. They also receive some federal funding.

So my question of course is this: How do they qualify for federal funding?

For the past 20 years we’ve experienced the republican ‘privatization craze,’ where services once provided by the public sector were turned over to private, non-profit entities to address – and of course the bulk of these entities are religious organizations:

Under the federal Civil Rights Act, it is not “discrimination” when a religious organization chooses to consider religion when it makes employment decisions. Note, too, that, where it exists, the freedom to staff on a religious basis is a freedom of the faith-based organization—it isn’t a government action, but rather the government’s acknowledgement that this practice can be important to the religious identity of the organization and that the government does not know better than the organization how it can best carry out its operations. If the government offers such an organization a grant or contract because the organization is the best supplier of a social service, the government is not “supporting discrimination” but rather buying the most effective help it can—from an organization that is legally and constitutionally entitled to staff on a religious basis.

Frequently Asked Questions | The Center for Public Justice

I should think there are plenty of pro-life muslims, atheists, jews, etc who would be a welcome addition to the center(s).

Perhaps, but if they don’t meet the religious hiring criteria, they’re not going to be hired.

I didn't see anything in the application saying they wouldn't accept a non-Christian. I volunteer at a Church and I'm not even a member of it, I have a key and everything. Of course, I didn't even have to fill out an app, I was volunteered by my friend who is a member.

When you come back and say you tried to volunteer and they wouldn't accept you because you weren't Christian, then we'll talk, until then it's just speculation.

BTW, our city is home to World Vision..a big Christian organization. You have to be Christian to work for them and to me, they are one of the most unChristianlike organizations I've ever seen. They also receive some federal funding.

This doesn’t concern volunteering; this is about actual employment on a payroll.

Last edited:

It might be Koshergrl or California Girl :eek:

EDIT: Koshergrl got banned! LMFAO! Turned out that religious little angle was a little devil after all.
I guess she wasn't "Always Right". :lmao:

TBH, She had it coming. It was a matter of time.
Now, who's next? :badgrin:

Last edited:
So my question of course is this: How do they qualify for federal funding?

For the past 20 years we’ve experienced the republican ‘privatization craze,’ where services once provided by the public sector were turned over to private, non-profit entities to address – and of course the bulk of these entities are religious organizations:

I should think there are plenty of pro-life muslims, atheists, jews, etc who would be a welcome addition to the center(s).

Perhaps, but if they don’t meet the religious hiring criteria, they’re not going to be hired.

This doesn’t concern volunteering; this is about actual employment on a payroll.

In the OP, it said "volunteer" nothing about hiring.

Beats me. I should think there are plenty of pro-life muslims, atheists, jews, etc who would be a welcome addition to the center(s).
It's not always that easy to pull federal funds, particular if the funds have already been spent.

If they were hiring people with those filters I'm sure it would be. Note, however, the use of the term "volunteer". It's hard to make the argument in court that someone not letting you volunteer for something did any sort of harm to you.

Seems like a silly basis to want them stripped of funds, if you're the type of person that believes that the government should be using tax dollars to fund random charities in the first place. A better question, if that last condition is true for you, is whether or not, as a charity, this group is actually doing something that benefits the community.

Generally speaking, when faith-based organizations receive federal dollars, the funding is not supposed to be used to fund their prostelytizing or religious efforts...only their social service or other efforts.

I have zero problems with a faith-based entity receiving a federal grant to provide services, as long as that organization uses the dollars to fund SERVICES, and not prostelytizing. They also are not generally allowed to discriminate against clients on the basis of religious affiliation.

Hope that helps you understand the point of the article.

Beats me. I should think there are plenty of pro-life muslims, atheists, jews, etc who would be a welcome addition to the center(s).

Only christians believe in the sanctity of all life...as long as its Christian life that is.

Werent you aware?:lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back