Telephone Company

K

killintimer

I know this may not be the catagory to discuss this issue but it just may affect who I vote for in the next Presidential election---so I guess it fits.

Does anyone know who I beef to about my telephone bill? Which one of Bush's cronies (er, I mean which governmental bureaucrat) is supposed to run herd over the telephone company? I know it will get me absolutely nowhere but I gotta put my two cents in.

I flew from Columbus, OH to St. Louis recently. The weather played havoc with the flight schedules and I found myself headed to O'Hare.

I had given my cell phone to my son so I had to call home collect from the St. Louis airport. Today I got my telephone bill and a four minute collect call cost over $28.00!!!!

Yes, all you math geniuses out there. That is more than $7.00 a minute!!!

So what government lackey in the phone company's hip pocket do I complain to?

(You would never believe it but I used to be a proud and loyal Republican.)

:mad: :mad:

Originally posted by killintimer
I know this may not be the catagory to discuss this issue but it just may affect who I vote for in the next Presidential election---so I guess it fits.

Does anyone know who I beef to about my telephone bill? Which one of Bush's cronies (er, I mean which governmental bureaucrat) is supposed to run herd over the telephone company? .....
You want to blame the President or one of his cronies because you were hosed on a phone call? Come on man, if you are traveling and you don't have your cell phone do a little preplanning, buy a phone card with a rate you can live with.

If I am not mistaken, it was a judge in DC not the president (certainly, not THIS president) that ordered the break up of AT&T. Go ahead, vote for a democrat- get mor governmental intrusion, not less.

<<You want to blame the President or one of his cronies because you were hosed on a phone call?>>

Well, yes. I'd blame Clinton but he gets blamed for everything else.

Originally posted by killintimer
<<You want to blame the President or one of his cronies because you were hosed on a phone call?>>

Well, yes. I'd blame Clinton but he gets blamed for everything else.
Well, as much as I would like Clinton to be blamed, honesty requires me to point out that Judge Greene was appointed by LBJ.

hey killintimer, i would think you could complain to the fcc(federal communications commisiion) for all the good it would do you. good luck!

Originally posted by Moi
If I am not mistaken, it was a judge in DC not the president (certainly, not THIS president) that ordered the break up of AT&T. Go ahead, vote for a democrat- get mor governmental intrusion, not less.
AT&T was a regulated monopoly franchised by the government. Breaking it up was nessecary to deregulate it.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
You want to blame the President or one of his cronies because you were hosed on a phone call? Come on man, if you are traveling and you don't have your cell phone do a little preplanning, buy a phone card with a rate you can live with.

MtnBiker, I guess I didn't expect to be taken so literally. Yeah, I got hosed but it wasn't by the judge that broke up Ma Bell all those years ago or by the Prez (whoever it was) that appointed him. I got hosed by the phone company and our Federal Goverment who is asleep ( no, practically in a coma) at the wheel.

Let's start over and try to make myself clearer. It doesn't really matter which phone company had that bank of phones at the airport. It doesnt matter if it were ol' Ma Bell herself or any of the baby bells or any start up phone company. The fact is that there should be some oversight and regulation of utilities (and that is where the basic philosophical difference lies). Our current administration feels that such economic activities are not, and should not be, treated as a utility.

While I am not a "liberal" in any sense of the word, I respectuffy disagree. But since the right-wing GOP is running the show, we get hosed.

And all I wanted to do was to cite one bit of hyperbole to demonstrate how private enterprise is running amock with no checks.

Sorry I rattled you so much with my ravings.

:bow2:

No you got hosed, period !

There should be no regulation unless a health, safety, or enviornmental issue is at hand !

Well thanks for the clarification Killintimer. It was one of your first posts here and I guess I just didn't have basis of where you were coming from with your statement. The sad thing is there are people who would directly blame the government or even a President for such occurances. It is never easy to be taken advantage of, I know it has happen to me more than once. My point was, we mostly have to look out for ourselves because people will take advantage of us and in compromizing situations.

My apologies if I came off to strong. Welcome to the board.

welcome killintimer!!!! I have to agree with MtnBiker that it is sad that people blame the Government when things dont go their way. I made a collect call from minn to vegas and got nailed for 58 bucks but I HAD to make that call, thats where you get 'hosed'. Kinda like if your car breaks down and you have to get it fixed ASAP! you know that you are going to get it put to you but what choice do you have? They[whoever] are providing a service and its our choice to use it or not use it. I hope I didnt open a can a worms about fixin cars and how much it cost as I qam a mechanic by trade and have always been honest and up front, never jacking the bill on anyone. someday they may be in a position to reciprocate!!!!!

Forum List

Back