Teens rights restored to wear anti-abortion shirt

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Teen's right to wear sweatshirt is restored

NEWPORT NEWS -- A Denbigh High School student prevented from wearing an anti-abortion sweatshirt in school last month by a school administrator now can wear it after a Michigan law center raised the possibility of a lawsuit.

An assistant principal told Daniel Goergen on Feb. 18 to remove the sweatshirt or turn it inside-out. Printed in white letters on the front of the black, hooded sweatshirt are the words "Abortion is homicide." The back reads "You will not silence my message / You will not mock my God / You will stop killing my generation."

"It was kind of irritating, it was bringing me down a little," Goergen said of the assistant principal's decision. "I respected (the assistant principal's) opinion and did what she said because she's an administrator. Then I got a lawyer to explain to her the right for me to wear it."

Many students at the school have shown support for his actions, he said.

In response to a letter from the Thomas More Law Center in Ann Arbor, Chief Deputy City Attorney Leonard Wallin sent a letter March 12 informing Goergen's lawyers that he could wear the sweatshirt at school.

Wallin, who represents the school division, said based on the details of the case presented to him, Goergen was within his rights to wear the sweatshirt. He added that these types of situations must be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

"The fundamental question is whether or not wearing some garment with a message on it is going to create a disturbance, an immediate disturbance," Wallin said. "If there isn't a reasonable belief that it's going to create a disturbance (school officials) can't ban the message even if they turn out to be wrong after the fact."

The law center requested a response from the school system by today, or else the Goergen family could file suit in federal court, according to its letter.

When he went to Denbigh High on Feb. 26 to ask why his son could not wear the sweatshirt, Martin Goergen said he was shown the derogatory written materials section of the student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

It says that any written material or pictures "that convey an offensive, racial, obscene, or sexually suggestive message" is prevented.

"Danny had worn that shirt (to school) for about 2 1/2 years," without incident, Martin Goergen said. "We were pleased that the school system responded (to Thomas More) in about 48 hours." Daniel Goergen wore the sweatshirt in school Tuesday without encountering problems, his father said.

The law center, a public interest law firm that defends Christian religious freedom, argued the school violated Daniel Goergen's constitutional rights. It based its argument on a 1969 case in which the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the rights of three students suspended from two Iowa public schools for wearing black armbands in protest of the Vietnam War, said Edward White, associate counsel for the law center.

The law center has an arrangement with Rock For Life - a pro-life youth organization that sells the black sweatshirt and other anti-abortion merchandise - to represent students and others free of charge who are challenged or harassed while wearing similar items. The law center is a non-profit organization.

"Whenever a student buys their merchandise, they get a letter from us defining their constitutional right to wear the (item) and to call us if they run into problems," he said.

Wallin said administrators aren't required to seek legal counsel before deciding to keep a student from wearing items.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/dp-77026sy0mar19,0,6762857,print.story?coll=dp-news-local-final

only logical decision. After all, if the courts decide that a student cannot be banned from wearing a wiccan pendant because of religious status then a political t-shirt shouldn't be either.

who was the shirt offensive too? evidently not the students. I believe this is a case of someone carrying a rule to far, also to fit their views. Bravo..:clap: :clap: thats one more for the good side.

Perhaps the school should just adopt a dress code which omits written items of all kinds. The word offensive is waaaay too subjective. I would be offended and angry if someone wore a shirt that had gays on it or other stuff. School shouldn't be political. School should focus on learning. Unfortunately, not many parents actually require that their children dress respectfully anymore. Perhaps if they did, these kinds of ludicrous time and money wasting incidents wouldn't happen.

School uniforms all the way!!!!

Originally posted by Moi
Perhaps the school should just adopt a dress code which omits written items of all kinds. The word offensive is waaaay too subjective. I would be offended and angry if someone wore a shirt that had gays on it or other stuff. School shouldn't be political. School should focus on learning. Unfortunately, not many parents actually require that their children dress respectfully anymore. Perhaps if they did, these kinds of ludicrous time and money wasting incidents wouldn't happen.

School uniforms all the way!!!!
have to agree with you here Moi. as far as i see it, this is my opinion of course, school kids (not counting college), while at school, dont need to be as free as they are now. freedom of speech need to be limited while in school. i know this sounds fucked. but you see what some of these kids do now days.
they dont need to be having "rallies" or protesting or whatever it is they do now days to draw attention because some want to be different. my child is not going to school to learn about homosexuality, or abortions, or anything like that. they are going to get an education. if that means uniforms and stricter discipline, then so be it. these are the ones who are going to be running the world later in life. they may not like it now, but they will see it for what it is when they get older.

when I was in school uniforms were an issue then, as now. I will agree that if any banning is to happen it should be accross the board and not here and there. the problem with uniforms is the cost of them. and who wants to wear there school uniform[or would be allowed too] out to play, ect. I have to say no to the uniforms.

if no uniforms, then some type of decent clothes to wear to school. i can sit on my front porch and see what some of them are wearing... its ridiculous. they could at elast find something that fits, is clean and present able.

whileI too dont "approve" of the attire that this generation has choosen to wear. do you remember if your parents approved of what you wore to school. thinking back"way back" 60's and early 70's...some of the get-ups were out there. Its a part of growing up. some of us never do..:laugh:

Originally posted by jon_forward
whileI too dont "approve" of the attire that this generation has choosen to wear. do you remember if your parents approved of what you wore to school. thinking back"way back" 60's and early 70's...some of the get-ups were out there. Its a part of growing up. some of us never do..:laugh:
thats the truth... ima toy-r-us kid still!

there is soooo much pressure on our children that if by wearing a shirt that makes them feel better about themselves so be it. you know what I mean? this is how I feel about this subject, they are making a small statement and iin doing so growing up a little at a time. If they step over a well, pre-determined line, they should have to pay the piper for it. also learning what happens when you do something your not suppose to do. I hope that this makes some sense, a bit of Lib stills burns within me..

I think schools should ban the word 'offensive'...Some of these wussies need to remember nobody has the right to never be offended.

Originally posted by dmp
I think schools should ban the word 'offensive'...Some of these wussies need to remember nobody has the right to never be offended.
i have the right not to be offended!!!

and Jon... yes it is tough to be a teen now days. not sure how, but it is...lol it has to be. otherwise we wouldnt have all these kids shooting everyone.
whatever happened to the good old days when we had a disagreement we would go out back and beat each other sensless?
hell i remember when i was grounded i went to a room with nothing it but a bed and a am/fm radio. hell i wish i could get grounded now... tv's, dvd, video games, telephones, cells...etc... yeah real tough being a teen now days...lol

Originally posted by Johnney
i have the right not to be offended!!!

and Jon... yes it is tough to be a teen now days. not sure how, but it is...lol it has to be. otherwise we wouldnt have all these kids shooting everyone.
whatever happened to the good old days when we had a disagreement we would go out back and beat each other sensless?
hell i remember when i was grounded i went to a room with nothing it but a bed and a am/fm radio. hell i wish i could get grounded now... tv's, dvd, video games, telephones, cells...etc... yeah real tough being a teen now days...lol

you forgot the pc..:rolleyes:

My view is that anyone who wants to wear a controversal shirt should have the message on the inside as well so if they make the students wear the shirt inside out, the message is still there.

Originally posted by jon_forward
I understand your point and the point you made before about the cost. But....

cost isn't the reason most people argue against uniforms. The fact is, if these inner city welfare youth can afford gold teeth and chains, $100's of dollars for shoes, hair extensions, 2" long painted fingernails, CD's, etc. they can afford a simple pair of black dockers and a white button down shirt.

Secondly, oh yes my parents DID control what I wore. Who the hell, 20 years ago, had so much money and the freedom to go shopping on their own???? No one I knew. We all wore the clothes our parents chose for us. I was not allowed to wear jeans or shorts to school. My parents expected (and made sure) that I went to school clean, hair brushed (if not styled their way, at least kempt), clothes clean and decent, my navel covered, my arms covered and my boobs secured with a brassiere.

Children (and their parents) need to reinforce a bit of self respect and dress properly. Madonna and Britney spears influence notwithstanding- it's the parents who are buying the clothes. Perhaps they should give their children self respect instead of hooker/pimp wear.

I agree. Parent do need get more involved with what their children wear. The problem is parents nowadays dont care and would rather be a buddy then responsible.

Forum List

Back