Teenagers

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Another thread got me to thinking, who do you think is easier to raise, a girl or boy teenager?

I know some of you have raised both, some only a boy(s) or girl(s).

Thoughts?

Advice?

Recommended medication for the mom? :lol:

I have a 16 yr old boy and a 13yr old girl, and two younger.

Until last year I would have said my daughter was the easiest to raise. Then she turned 13 and LOST HER MIND. At this point I'm hoping she lives to see 14.

I've raised two boys, and have one more boy and one daughter who are 5 & 6, so haven't hit their teens yet.

Boys are easy enough to deal with in the home...but every minute they're out of the house from the time they're 13 until they hit 21 is pure unadulterated agony. YOu keep expecting THAT call...or THAT visit...to tell you they're in trouble, hurt, or worse.

My girl is more deceitful than the boys ever were, so she's a lot more difficult to gauge....but she's a lot more controlled.

Another thread got me to thinking, who do you think is easier to raise, a girl or boy teenager?

Thoughts?

Advice?

My son is waaay easier than my youngest daughter (he's 15, she's 12). But you know, he's special needs and his behavior as a child was . . . well, hellish.

My oldest daugher (18) was easy, breezy. My youngest? :eek: Oh the attitude!!! Could be, in part, having grown up in her brother's shadow. She runs hot and cold and I'm hoping things settle down as she matures.

Recommended medication for the mom? Absolutely!!!!!! :D

I have a 16 yr old boy and a 13yr old girl, and two younger.

Until last year I would have said my daughter was the easiest to raise. Then she turned 13 and LOST HER MIND. At this point I'm hoping she lives to see 14.

okay some advice...they turn on you like vipers but it has a lot to do with the dynamics of the brain...this is about they age they discover abstract thought ...and the little dumb shits think they are the only ones to make this profound discovery....plus teenagers are like puppies and need a lot of sleep unfortunately schools etc are not on the same shifts there bodies are....they really do need 14 hours of sleep due to growing etc...

so my advice...kill them now....you will be kinda young when you get out of jail

I've 3, now thankfully all successfully alive and doing well in their 20's. Oldest is a girl, the next two, boys. About 22 months apart between each.

The boys were tougher to raise as little ones. I remember the middle child going to the hospital 3 times in one day, for stitches. Yeah, they called DCFS to check. Lucky for us he said, "I was running from dining room, to kitchen, to living room, the wall got in the way, twice." The third was getting out of bath, slipping and biting nearly clean through tongue. :eek:

The youngest was BD, with a Napoleon complex of a sort to boot. He was in 5th grade, challenging 9th graders. They grabbed a hockey stick, he grabbed a knife and golf club. He was also 'gifted' and organized a shop lifting ring with his 'gifted' friends. (Thank G_d for my brother, the cop.) Sigh.

Both boys were quite easy in high school. My daughter, the easy one up to that point, changed later than Trigg's, TG, but at 16. That was learning what 'hell on earth was.' She dated so many, though the one that was 22, when she was 17, stands out. Had to take out an order of protection. The city police also drew up charges, when he wouldn't stop calling the house, then the police when she wouldn't talk with him.

Then she got mono and was home during the day for over 5 weeks. She called him. :eek:

It got worked out, but then she went to college and got another whack, who hit her, once. She moved out, but still with some back and forth.

Now she has graduated, has a very great guy, but when she said, 'Maybe I should move home...' I suggested that we wouldn't want to mess up our new found relationship. She moved in with her dad and is about to buy a house. I love her, can't live with her, or she with me.

Children all go through stages. They will keep doing that clear into their 30's. On a whole my daughter was easier in many ways from my son. On the other hand she was sneeky and would try to hide her booboo's. Son has normally been upfront about his mishaps even when he was little and older sister would try to get him to go along with telling mom a lie or two.

They had gotten into the pumpkin pie one early morning. I had stayed up late baking. I got up to seeing something that looked like shit on the walls, floors, doorjams, everywhere from the kitchen, to the dining room to their bedrooms. The daughter's bedroom was the worst. She had a white canopy bed, nasty. So I got them in the livingroom and had them set on the couch and began questioning. It was total denial until I asked son, "Was it fun?" He said, "Yeah and I frew it in her hair." I couldn't help but laugh. Daughter was very agitated at him for spilling the beans.

I do know this being a tweeny ain't easy. Just remember that as you go through the massive amount of hormone changes whilst watching them grow into adults. No one get's through it all unscathed. That is part of life. Try not to let them put you on a pedestal. You'll fall from their good graces in time. If by chance you did your best and if that happens don't fret they will be back when they get it all figured out that you still love them regardless of your own faults or theirs.

Last edited:
I've 3, now thankfully all successfully alive and doing well in their 20's. Oldest is a girl, the next two, boys. About 22 months apart between each.

The boys were tougher to raise as little ones. I remember the middle child going to the hospital 3 times in one day, for stitches. Yeah, they called DCFS to check. Lucky for us he said, "I was running from dining room, to kitchen, to living room, the wall got in the way, twice." The third was getting out of bath, slipping and biting nearly clean through tongue. :eek:

The youngest was BD, with a Napoleon complex of a sort to boot. He was in 5th grade, challenging 9th graders. They grabbed a hockey stick, he grabbed a knife and golf club. He was also 'gifted' and organized a shop lifting ring with his 'gifted' friends. (Thank G_d for my brother, the cop.) Sigh.

Both boys were quite easy in high school. My daughter, the easy one up to that point, changed later than Trigg's, TG, but at 16. That was learning what 'hell on earth was.' She dated so many, though the one that was 22, when she was 17, stands out. Had to take out an order of protection. The city police also drew up charges, when he wouldn't stop calling the house, then the police when she wouldn't talk with him.

Then she got mono and was home during the day for over 5 weeks. She called him. :eek:

It got worked out, but then she went to college and got another whack, who hit her, once. She moved out, but still with some back and forth.

Now she has graduated, has a very great guy, but when she said, 'Maybe I should move home...' I suggested that we wouldn't want to mess up our new found relationship. She moved in with her dad and is about to buy a house. I love her, can't live with her, or she with me.

Lol..the "Gifted Gang" is hilarious.

My two boys and nephew, all about the same age, ALL got busted for shoplifting CONDOMS from the pharmacy when they were about 11-12.

#1, none of them had ever had sex or were in any way shape or form even close to having sex...

#2, they could get free condoms at their school, the welfare office, or the county health department any day of the week, and they all knew it!

But the funny thing is the lecture...about 3 hours long..they had to sit through with my bro-in-law, a wealthy, very, very kind, gifted and upright man...as he discussed all the reasons it was wrong to steal....as well as going into intimate detail about the importance of sex and blah blah blah....which absolutely mortified the boys. For 3 hours.

I don't think any of them ever stole anything again.

Last edited:
I'd say a boy is easier to raise. I have one kid and it's my son. I separated from his mother when he was quite young, but I was always there. He moved in with me when he was 16, joined the Army right after he graduated at 18, and he's followed me around the country since. The big thing that I was always thankful for was that since he was a boy, I'd never have to have an awkward conversation with him about menstruation or girl problems or have to deal with PMS. That's got to be what moms are for. I'd have been lost trying to deal with it.

I had two boys and I thank God every day that I didn't have a girl.
I don't know how I would have handled a girl with Madonna and Britney as their TV role models.

I don't know how I would have handled a girl with Madonna and Britney as their TV role models.

You would have taught them that those weren't good role models, that their mother, an aunt, a teacher, etc. were good role models of course! :cool:

A wise man once said that the parents of boys get their grey hair when the kids are between 3 and 13 and the parents of girls get their grey hair when the kids are between 13 and 23.

I still say that, no matter what they're like as teenagers, if you can keep the little shits breathing and out of jail until they're 23, you'll like them again. Keep the faith!

-Joe

You would have taught them that those weren't good role models, that their mother, an aunt, a teacher, etc. were good role models of course! :cool:

Maybe. My sons had good roll models from my dad and brother. They did what they could, but kids need someone there, day in and day out.

Thoughts?

Advice?

I would not like to have a girl teenager because most girl teenagers that I have encountered a just weird and I can't connect with them.

As for medication...high doses of xanax and valium washed down with hard liquor will make the girl teenager barely noticable.

Just watching my sister in law grow up, I'm going to say *boys* are easier to raise...

Sure.. He stayed out til all hours of the night, made a lot of noise, drove too fast, was a bit reckless, etc.. Nothing too drastic, or out of the ordinary..

But, SHE, instead of bringing stray animals home, brought stray PEOPLE home! (and that was only one of her many talents as a teenager) :eek:

Maybe. My sons had good roll models from my dad and brother. They did what they could, but kids need someone there, day in and day out.

And I bet they didn't have Britney and Madonna as role models either!

And I bet they didn't have Britney and Madonna as role models either!

LOL! Another reason boys are easier!

Forum List

Back