Teenager won't apologize to Kansas governor for tweet

I really like how the conservatives are living up to their name. I really wish there was some 18th century corner of the world you could all crawl to..

Oh, that's right there are several. Yemen? Somalia...off you trot...

Huh? Was she arrested? She had the "right" to say what she did. She just has to accept the consequences that were agreed upon in the student code of conduct. The reality is that she was probably joking. It was not a "political statement". It was stupid kid stuff. That's all she needed to say in her letter.

Children do not have the same free speech rights as adults when they are at school or at a school sponsored event. God forbid.

except she is 18, she is an adult......

No she is not an adult until she reaches the age of 26. That is according to obama.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

I wouldn't apologize either... However students are EXPELLED all the time for "dissing Obamafuck."

So fuck her - she can be a martyr for the other kids that were banned or expelled for anti-Obamafuck worship...

Republicans stifling free speech again? That is chilling. I agree w/ the parent:
“If she wants to tweet her opinion about Gov. Brownback, I say for her to go for it and I stand totally behind her.”

Read more: Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

I'm a conservative and I support the girl's refusal to apologize. Didn't have to think twice about it and unless she tweeted she was going to shoot him, I don't give a crap what she said about him and I don't care what political party the guy belongs to either. I don't know ANY Republican who backs what this guy did because Republicans don't take the same kind of issue with differing opinions that liberals do -for instance, you will never hear a conservative insist the federal government needs to shut down MSNBC for being nothing but the political tool of liberals like you hear liberals even at this forum say they think federal government should do to Fox. Oooh Fox lets conservatives actually give a coherent opinion -they must have their license yanked! I've heard liberals say if they had their way they would outlaw the Republican party and throw all Republicans in prison -clearly for no other reason but the fact they don't share their leftwing agenda and opinions. So let's not pretend the threat to free speech actually comes from Republicans here when we all know that is bullshit.

This should never have been an issue at all and the moron on his staff who made it one should be fired for the negative publicity it got him. In spite of her tweet Brownback and his staff knew she never made any such comment and her tweet was to HER followers -not Brownback's. That is some heavy duty "monitoring" to pick up the tweet of a 17 year old kid. He wants to monitor social networks? For this kind of bullshit? So he can start demanding apologies from teenage kids tweeting their own friends? Someone on his staff contacted her principal to get him involved? Seriously? Talk about a hyperventilating overblown reaction to NOTHING. He doesn't like her comment? Then he needs to grow a pair and get over it. And his staff needs to stop monitoring social networks if their goal is to jump on people if they say "mean things" about him. The principal changed his mind about the apology and no longer insisted she send one and she suffered no punishment at school -nor should she have. This should never have been an issue of ANY kind! But I doubt Brownback convinced her by his overblown reaction that he's actually a nice guy -rofl.

Here is the link to the student code of conduct for the MO Youth in Government Plan including the disciplinary procedures. The organization has standards to uphold and the students are representing their schools. I guess this young lady and her mom didn't read what they signed.

http://www.moyig.org/forms/Participation Agreement-Student.pdf

An apology could have been written to explain what she meant by "he blows", but that would have taken too much time away from her tweeting.

If she insulted the president or even any other adult while in this program, she should be asked to apologize. Sheez.

This is why schools can no longer deal with discipline. Apology letters are considered cruel and unusual treatment, and even subject to a lawsuit. Students are permitted to say or do anything they want without consequence. Moral relativism rules.

I guess YOU have never read the First Amendment.

It's called "Freedom of Speech".

Don't matter if YOU or that dim light bulb Brownhack don't like what is said.

Here is the link to the student code of conduct for the MO Youth in Government Plan including the disciplinary procedures. The organization has standards to uphold and the students are representing their schools. I guess this young lady and her mom didn't read what they signed.

http://www.moyig.org/forms/Participation Agreement-Student.pdf

An apology could have been written to explain what she meant by "he blows", but that would have taken too much time away from her tweeting.

If she insulted the president or even any other adult while in this program, she should be asked to apologize. Sheez.

This is why schools can no longer deal with discipline. Apology letters are considered cruel and unusual treatment, and even subject to a lawsuit. Students are permitted to say or do anything they want without consequence. Moral relativism rules.

I guess YOU have never read the First Amendment.

It's called "Freedom of Speech".

Don't matter if YOU or that dim light bulb Brownhack don't like what is said.

Not in schools you do not have free speech. children cannot tell the teacher to go fuck them self. If that was the case gay bashing would be a from of free speech is it allowed?

The fact that this has caused a commotion is pretty funny if I'm going to be honest. When did freedom of speech exclude high school kids on their Twitter?

The fact that this has caused a commotion is pretty funny if I'm going to be honest. When did freedom of speech exclude high school kids on their Twitter?

Just making a reminder that children have limited venues of free speech school grounds isn't one of them.

I really like how the conservatives are living up to their name. I really wish there was some 18th century corner of the world you could all crawl to..

Look, North Korea already has the economic and governmental structure you yearn for, why don't you just move there and be happy?

That's her choice. She is wrong of course. When you are rude to others you are supposed to apologize. But the beauty of having freedom of speech is that the government cant force us to do anything we choose not to.

Look, North Korea already has the economic and governmental structure you yearn for, why don't you just move there and be happy?

Grump doesn't live here in America why would he want to leave the country he lives in?

Forum List

Back