Teenage pregnancy

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by waltky, Aug 9, 2011.

1. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,859
    Do sisters influence teenage pregnancy?...
    :confused:
    Teenage pregnancy is 'contagious'
    8 August 2011 - Teenage pregnancy is "contagious" between sisters, researchers in the UK and Norway have claimed.

2. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I can see why teenage pregancy is contagious between sisters. Now don't think it is neccessarly true.

3. mplo

mplo Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's not always true, but at least as often as not, it is true, however.

4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,859
    I think a bigger factor is if the mother was pregnant as a teenager...

... like mother, like daughter.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. mplo

mplo Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's also true, waltky. Chances are at least as good as not that a teenage girl growing up in a household where such behavior patterns as teenage pregnancies existed among the mothers, will follow that particular pattern and become pregnant herself as a teenager. Once the cycle is established, it can be tough to break, but some people have done it.

I'll also add that most of the girls who end up that way come from backgrounds where an interest in an education of any kind doesn't thrive, and an awful lot of girls like that don't finish school. They're not interested, and they don't care.

I did read about a woman from a lower socioeconomic background who became pregnant at a young age, and decided to have an abortion, which she was glad that she did, because the timing for having a kid, as well as her age, was all wrong. Had she had the kid at that time, when she was busy with her future, she would've ended up permanently sidetracked, and condemned to a life of welfare dependency and/or a really menial job (most likely without benefits, to support herself and her child) to support herself and the child.

That same gal, when she got to be a young woman, when she went onto college and then to law school, became a successful lawyer, married, and had a child that, the last time I read about it, was two years old. Those who say that the young woman was wrong to abort her child due to timing and lack of maturity are the ones who're wrong. They don't seem to realize that timing also has everything to do with it, whether a woman wants a child or not, and that bad timing can and often enough will permanently sidetrack a girl or young woman.

I also might add that a pregnancy that occurs in a girl or woman under the age of 20 is often not only quite hazardous to the child, but to the mother as well, due to the fact that that mother is not yet fully matured physically, and stands the risk of not only having a premature baby, or a baby with severe developmental problems because the baby can't get proper nutrition, but that the mother's metabolism at that age isn't ready to handle bearing a child.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Unless you have research to back up your 'I think', then it really isn't relevant. That's kind of the point of research.

7. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    This is from wiki, but it's common sense.

Teenage pregnancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The article also mentions that YOUNGER sisters were most likely to want to emulate their pregnant sisters. That's common sense too. Babies are cute. Just like dolls. :(

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I wish they would research WHY young girls in the UK emulate their siblings and get pregnant. I am interested in whether Britain's welfare system is an enticement... if you get pregnant, you get a house, benefits, etc for at least 5 years.

9. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Certainly that is an enticement, but not the whole story. A few years ago one of my students was pregnant at the same time as her sister and MOTHER. No men in the picture. The checks might have been an enticement, but I suspect it was just their "normal". A family tradition of sorts... :cuckoo:

My biggest concern is the SECOND child statistic.

One can be a mistake; two is on purpose.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Teenagers who get pregnant should be beaten as an example.