Teen who stole endures public punishment

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
PICKENS COUNTY, S.C. -

When Hunter Bearden stole $60 from his sister's wallet, the 13-year-old probably wasn't thinking about the consequences, but he is now.

As punishment for stealing and lying, Bearden's father, Grover Bearden, is making his son hold a sign along Calhoun Memorial Highway that reads, "I like to steal, and lie, and be disrespectful to others."

"For the rest of the week, I have to stand out here in the hot weather, and everything," said Hunter. "I did like to steal, lie, and disrespect others, but I'm going to try not to now."

Hunter is holding the sign in front of his father's taxidermy shop, while his dad looks on.

"(My dad) held back on a spanking, and decided to think about the punishment with my stepmom, and I think that this is working out so far, and the hot weather -- I'm worn down, and I haven't been inside except for a couple minutes today, so I'm thankful for his discipline to make me a better person," said Hunter.

Read more: Teen who stole endures public punishment | Oconee/Pickens News - WYFF Home

Effective punishment?

Effective punishment?

Define what you mean by "effective".

Depends on what "effect" you are seeking to create.

Depands also on the kid who is getting that punishment, too.

For some kids this will be highly effective.

For others this might be the worst least effective thing one can do.

Or are you of the opinion that the same punishment works for everybody equally well?

Of course not. What I am asking is based upon this tiny blurb in this paper, do you think this kid will steal again?

This is a message board. We are permitted to conjecture.

Of course not. What I am asking is based upon this tiny blurb in this paper, do you think this kid will steal again?

This is a message board. We are permitted to conjecture.

Who knows?

It could have been an isolated incident anyway

I think these punishments just show how bad a parent you are

Some will claim the kid's getting off easy, others will claim it's tantamount to torture. This aught to be interesting............ :popcorn:

I don't know if it's effective punishment. Effectiveness of punishment is likely individualized. I guess the parents will see.

But, it wouldn't surprise me if someone reports the father to CPS. :rolleyes:

Yep. That's why I posted it. I do believe a little bit of shame builds character. I don't think I would choose the same punishment, but I've never caught my kids stealing.

One of my kids was involved in a vandalism incident and we had him spend the day assisting the custodian at the building. I That worked.

Yep. That's why I posted it. I do believe a little bit of shame builds character. I don't think I would choose the same punishment, but I've never caught my kids stealing.

One of my kids was involved in a vandalism incident and we had him spend the day assisting the custodian at the building. I That worked.
I'm not a parent, but that sounds perfect. When possible, I believe punishment should include amends and reparations, too. :thup:

Seems a little excessive to me. A good thrashing never hurt anyone, but being made a prolonged example of like this by a loved one is sure to breed resentment in the long run.

It figures the weirdo father is a taxidermist. If he were a better parent, maybe the kid wouldn't lie and steal. There are other ways to deal without the humiliation factor.

That kid looks more like 8 or 9 than 13 but if he is 13, he should be earning his own money. Maybe something his cheap father never thought of.

Now that's a good parent who loves his kid. :clap2:

Unlike muslims, who teach their kids to lock and load an AK-47 and kill infidels, or strap a bomb to them so they can blow up innocent people.

ALLAH AKBAR.

Last edited:
I don't know enough to judge the father's decision. But it's certainly not egregious enough on it's face to condemn his punishment out of hand.

PICKENS COUNTY, S.C. -

When Hunter Bearden stole $60 from his sister's wallet, the 13-year-old probably wasn't thinking about the consequences, but he is now.

As punishment for stealing and lying, Bearden's father, Grover Bearden, is making his son hold a sign along Calhoun Memorial Highway that reads, "I like to steal, and lie, and be disrespectful to others."

"For the rest of the week, I have to stand out here in the hot weather, and everything," said Hunter. "I did like to steal, lie, and disrespect others, but I'm going to try not to now."

Hunter is holding the sign in front of his father's taxidermy shop, while his dad looks on.

Effective punishment?
The municipal judge here sentences WalMart shoplifters to spend two Saturdays wearing sandwich boards saying "I stole from this store", walking back and forth in front of the store.

Seems like a childish punishment but seems consistent from someone who normally spanks his teenager

It figures the weirdo father is a taxidermist. If he were a better parent, maybe the kid wouldn't lie and steal. There are other ways to deal without the humiliation factor.

That kid looks more like 8 or 9 than 13 but if he is 13, he should be earning his own money. Maybe something his cheap father never thought of.
Hey! SOMEbody gotta stuff the pets!

...and just because he's a taxidermist doesn't mean he's not a good parent.

PICKENS COUNTY, S.C. -

Effective punishment?
The municipal judge here sentences WalMart shoplifters to spend two Saturdays wearing sandwich boards saying "I stole from this store", walking back and forth in front of the store.
I think this is a productive form of punishment. Because even if it doesn't have a positive effect on the subject it is sure to cause some passersby who might be inclined to petty theft to think it over.

The reason why the existing system of punishing criminals, i.e., prison, is plainly ineffective as a deterrent is the entire process and experience are invisible to the public. The average person has never seen a prison, not even from a distance, so that concept of punishment is without substance.

The principle of this form of punishment, public humiliation, borrows from the stock and pillory used in the early American colonies.

PICKENS COUNTY, S.C. -

Effective punishment?
I think this is a productive form of punishment. Because even if it doesn't have a positive effect on the subject it is sure to cause some passersby who might be inclined to petty theft to think it over.

The reason why the existing system of punishing criminals, i.e., prison, is plainly ineffective as a deterrent is the entire process and experience are invisible to the public. The average person has never seen a prison, not even from a distance, so that concept of punishment is without substance.

The principle of this form of punishment, public humiliation, borrows from the stock and pillory used in the early American colonies.

Yes......humiliation worked so well in a time when the next best option was public flogging

Forum List

Back