Teen violence linked to heavy soda diet

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Researchers in the United States said on Tuesday they had found a "shocking" association -- if only a statistical one -- between violence by teenagers and the amount of soda they drank.

High-school students in inner-city Boston who consumed more than five cans of non-diet, fizzy soft drinks every week were between nine and 15-percent likelier to engage in an aggressive act compared with counterparts who drank less.

"What we found was that there was a strong relationship between how many soft drinks that these inner-city kids consumed and how violent they were, not only in violence against peers but also violence in dating relationships, against siblings," said David Hemenway, a professor at the Harvard School of Public Health.

"It was shocking to us when we saw how clear the relationship was," he told AFP in an interview.

But he stressed that only further work would confirm -- or disprove -- the key question whether higher consumption of sweet sodas caused violent behaviour

Wow. I wonder when they will look at cheap toilet paper and expensive sneakers. :cuckoo: I suspect there's a high correlation there.

Curious - Do they drink a lot of soda in the Middle East? :doubt:

See bold. "Key question"

It's been noted in my community that there is a high correlation between bad teeth and teen pregnancy. Perhaps it's just soda getting these young girls knocked up. Errrr!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE6w4RERMeI]The Ramones - Rock N Roll High School - YouTube[/ame]

5 cans of pop a week!!!! I would think almost every kid drinks that much in a week. Of course a lot of them drink it from the pop dispenser so that must not count. Who knows it might be the cans not the pop!!!

292741461_6a979896ba.jpg

Excellent point! I was thinking they'd have to differentiate between diet/regular; coke/pepsi; or Fresca vs. Root beer. I didn't even consider bottles vs cans. This mystery could take decades to solve! And zillions of dollars as well I imagine.

Disclaimer: I drink at least 2 sodas a day. I often think about violence, but have to hit anyone. Ever. Yet. Lol

Last edited:

Forum List

Back