Teen Suicides Are Increasing At An Alarming Pace

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by g5000, Oct 17, 2019.

1. miketx

miketx Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +81,359
    No cockroach I believe in solving the problem.

2. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53,423
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. progressive hunter

progressive hunter Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,551

that and seeing the democrats and republicans turning the country into a divided shithole that they have to live in,,,

4. anotherlife

anotherlife Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,507
    It is far better to commit your suicide whilst you are still a teenager. If you postpone it and you are way into your adulthood when you commit your suicide, then you cause a lot of collateral and even allow the chance of evil people to double on you too. So by any measure, best is if you commit your suicide whilst you are still a teenager.

5. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,747
    Illegal drugs are more prevalent and stronger than ever. That’s my theory as to why

6. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53,423
    That was my supposition, too.

But...see post 12.

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,824
    My brother and I had this discussion a few months ago. When we were in high school (I graduated in 2000 and he was in 2002) we didn't have social media or cell phones with cameras on them. If something really embarrassing happened to someone it was basically forgotten about after a couple of weeks. Now, it follows kids. We were talking about something that happened to a girl my son went to school with. She had gotten into a fight with another girl and of course, all the kids whipped out their phones to record. In the middle of the fight, she shit herself. Kids were posting it all over YouTube and they tried to get them all taken down, but they kept popping back up, so the incident kept looming over her. Eventually, her parents worked with the district to get her transferred to a different school. Well, it only took someone at the new school about a month or so to Google her name or whatever and find one of those videos and then it went all around the new school. After that, her parents pulled her out and are home schooling her now.

It's a good example of what I was saying. Had this happened when I was in high school it largely would have passed over time, but in the digital age that incident is always going to stick with her. With that kind of constant humiliation at such a young age where kids tend to be hyper emotional as it is, it's not surprising there are so many suicides now compared to when I was in school. In fact, I can't even remember anyone killing themselves when I was in high school and plenty of kids experienced bullying back then.

So, like I said, social media

8. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53,423
    I keep telling my kids that after they enter the real world, nothing that happened in high school will mean anything.

Kids are really vicious towards each other.

9. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53,423
    The OP article addresses the social media theory. It has its advantages as well as its disadvantages.