Teen shot by Tempe police didn’t steal airsoft gun, truck owner says

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
World News Tonight was on the TV when I looked up and saw this story. They showed an excerpt from the officer's dashcam video and I don't even have the words for how dismayed I was by what I saw.

This kid was at the far end of an alley, fleeing from the officer. If I had to guess I'd say he was at least half the length of a standard size swimming pool away from the officer so where was the friggin threat to the officer that necessitated him shooting to kill the suspect?

One of the things I remember from way back is that you CANNOT shoot someone for property crimes with very few exceptions. The use of deadly force is supposed to be reserved for self defense in life threatening situations where there is a threat of imminent death or grievous bodily harm.

The string of events began with an anonymous call to 911 from a man saying a suspicious vehicle was parked outside a backyard. The caller told the operator that his home had been robbed the previous week and he was suspicious of anyone in the alley.

Silvas said he believed the callerwas a neighbor several houses away who had been in a dispute with Silvas. Silvas believes the neighbor called police about his truck so officers would give him a hard time.

He said Arce was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"If he didn't call that 911 call, that young boy would still be alive today," Silvas told The Arizona Republic. "But I would be out a cellphone — because that's all he took outside of my truck was a cellphone."

Video shows Tempe officer shooting 14-year-old as he runs away

World News Tonight was on the TV when I looked up and saw this story. They showed an excerpt from the officer's dashcam video and I don't even have the words for how dismayed I was by what I saw.

This kid was at the far end of an alley, fleeing from the officer. If I had to guess I'd say he was at least half the length of a standard size swimming pool away from the officer so where was the friggin threat to the officer that necessitated him shooting to kill the suspect?

One of the things I remember from way back is that you CANNOT shoot someone for property crimes with very few exceptions. The use of deadly force is supposed to be reserved for self defense in life threatening situations where there is a threat of imminent death or grievous bodily harm.

The string of events began with an anonymous call to 911 from a man saying a suspicious vehicle was parked outside a backyard. The caller told the operator that his home had been robbed the previous week and he was suspicious of anyone in the alley.

Silvas said he believed the callerwas a neighbor several houses away who had been in a dispute with Silvas. Silvas believes the neighbor called police about his truck so officers would give him a hard time.

"If he didn't call that 911 call, that young boy would still be alive today," Silvas told The Arizona Republic. "But I would be out a cellphone — because that's all he took outside of my truck was a cellphone."

Bet he was black too.......*yawn*

Now.....let's just let 14 yr olds rush into our stores and steal everything.

It sorta sucks.

Anytime you commit a crime you roll this dice of death though.

Anytime you ignore a man with a gun you roll this cold hard dice of death.

I just dunno if we can cut down on these mistakes much more. Each police force across the nation has soo many cops out there and in each one someone is the worst every day. I screw up at work, ppl don't die. They do....

Lets make the world more fair and include a wheel of death in all criminal sentencing. Make it a 1/2 a percent chance of death penalty in all assault, firearms or DUI crimes and up.

You people need to learn the law. Police are allowed to shoot a fleeing felon if they have a reasonable belief that that felon presents a danger to themselves or the public. The moron had what appeared to be a real gun. In 2 seconds, yes it is reasonable to believe that the gun was real and thus perfectly legal for the police to shoot him as he was fleeing after committing a felony.

Don't like it, change the law.

This kid was shot because he didn't want to be arrested for the crime he had committed. Simple as that.

You people need to learn the law. Police are allowed to shoot a fleeing felon if they have a reasonable belief that that felon presents a danger to themselves or the public. The moron had what appeared to be a real gun. In 2 seconds, yes it is reasonable to believe that the gun was real and thus perfectly legal for the police to shoot him as he was fleeing after committing a felony.

Don't like it, change the law.

This kid was shot because he didn't want to be arrested for the crime he had committed. Simple as that.
It's a shame, but Darwin was right.

Its horrible but idk how you get around it.
Determine that police have no right to life?

The code word "teen" should have been a dead giveaway. Black criminals are always a "teen" for some reason.

The use of deadly force is supposed to be reserved for self defense in life threatening situations where there is a threat of imminent death or grievous bodily harm
But not just when that threat is to the officer or a specific person. It can also be used when a suspect seemingly presents a threat to the public, such as a suspect running away with a gun in his hand.

And we ask our officers to make that decision in a split second...they are humans too, and not infallible...

The code word "teen" should have been a dead giveaway. Black criminals are always a "teen" for some reason.
Where did you get that idea from?

Tamir Rice was called an adult even tho he was 12 years old.
Police thought 12-year-old Tamir Rice was 20 when they shot him. This isn't uncommon.

Trayvon Martin was called a teen (because he was) -- and racists were pissed at the fact he wasn't called a big black buck enough.
Was Trayvon Martin a 'child' or a 'youth'?

In fact, black teens are more likely to be referred to as adults -- whereas, people like Dylann Roof are often referred to as troubled kids...

Black Boys Viewed as Older, Less Innocent Than Whites, Research Finds

You people need to learn the law. Police are allowed to shoot a fleeing felon if they have a reasonable belief that that felon presents a danger to themselves or the public.
When did the cop witness him committing a felony? And who the hell are "you people"?

According to the news report, there were more than a few irregularities committed by some of these officers - searching the "victim"'s home without a warrant or the owner's conset, taking a computer tablet from a witness which the owner stated contained video evidence of the shooting and then returning it to her with the device no longer functional, lying about one of the airsoft guns being missing from the victim's truck, etc.

Last edited:

Haven't you denied in the past that you're a racist?

And no, he's not black

The use of deadly force is supposed to be reserved for self defense in life threatening situations where there is a threat of imminent death or grievous bodily harm
But not just when that threat is to the officer or a specific person. It can also be used when a suspect seemingly presents a threat to the public, such as a suspect running away with a gun in his hand.

And we ask our officers to make that decision in a split second...they are humans too, and not infallible...
I understand your reasoning but this was not one of those split second decisions that needed to be made, particularly since the shooting victim didn't have a gun in his hand but more importantly, just being in possessin of a weapon isn't a valid legal basis for being shot and killed.

There are days when I feel badly for some of our police officers. They have to deal with stupid people doing stupid and criminal things every day. But in this case, this officer employed lethal force in situation where it was not warranted because he was not being threatened with death.

We have to get rid of this mentally that the police have the right to kill people "just because" - because they didn't obey the officer, they tried to run away, they had something in their hand, etc.

Forum List

Back