Teen posts on FB "I made it to see 17". An hour later he was dead.

'I made it to see 17,' St. Louis teen posted on his birthday. An hour later, he was dead.

Armond Latimore posted on his Facebook page Saturday about how glad he was that he made it to see his 17th birthday; just over an hour later he would be dead from a gunshot wound to his head.

Latimore, of St. Louis, was shot about 1 p.m. Saturday — his birthday — in the 3100 block of North Grand Boulevard, police said. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Homicide detectives are investigating.

His mother, Chandra D. Payne, 38, said she had left her home and went to a nearby store to buy ice cream to go with a cake to celebrate her son’s birthday. She said he didn’t want anything elaborate.

“He told me that he wanted ice cream,” she said. “I went to Save A Lot and three minutes later I received the call.”

She was told he had been shot outside a chop suey restaurant called Bing Lau, where he had gone to pick up food. The scene is a few blocks south of Fairground Park in the Jeff-Vander-Lou neighborhood.

Damn. His mother was out buying him ice cream to go with his cake when she received the call. Reading that part really fucked with me. :(

That is so fucked up on so many levels. Poor kid. Gosh damn I hate gangs.

I can understand.
Unfortunately, now having seen the photos from his Facebook page, he was probably involved in what he shouldn’t have been. Sad state of affairs.
Armond Latimore

Glad to reach 17? Only a gang member would post stuff like that.
Or living in such a horrific neighborhood. Sadly, I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened because he did post it and was known to avoid the gangs in his area. They showed him. No matter what, how screwed up.

Even if he was in a gang, a horrific neighborhood can have a strong influence on a teenager. Most of us grew up in decent neighborhoods, and were still assholes as teenagers. Imagine growing up dodging gun shots.

Which still doesn't make him a bad kid. He was a kid with a developing mind who did stupid shit while living in a shit neighborhood. It got him killed. Sad state of affairs, indeed.

Developing minds cause you to do stupid shit? I think when your mind stopped developing you became a liberal. Strange how millions of other kids manage to avoid doing the stupid shit.

If the neighborhood was so damn bad, why the hell would the mother continue to STAY in it? Especially with him posting he is glad to make it to age 17. That right there is a clue.
I don't care what she says about this now. She should have done anything and everything to GET OUT of there. But, she didn't.

I can understand.
Unfortunately, now having seen the photos from his Facebook page, he was probably involved in what he shouldn’t have been. Sad state of affairs.
Armond Latimore

Glad to reach 17? Only a gang member would post stuff like that.
Or living in such a horrific neighborhood. Sadly, I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened because he did post it and was known to avoid the gangs in his area. They showed him. No matter what, how screwed up.

Even if he was in a gang, a horrific neighborhood can have a strong influence on a teenager. Most of us grew up in decent neighborhoods, and were still assholes as teenagers. Imagine growing up dodging gun shots.

Which still doesn't make him a bad kid. He was a kid with a developing mind who did stupid shit while living in a shit neighborhood. It got him killed. Sad state of affairs, indeed.

Developing minds cause you to do stupid shit? I think when your mind stopped developing you became a liberal. Strange how millions of other kids manage to avoid doing the stupid shit.

Well there are some neighborhoods so bad I'm sure it's hard for kids to go out the front door without becoming affiliated with a gang member in some way or another. We don't really know this kids situation but sometimes it's ok to feel a little bit of empathy, Liberal or not. It's still part of being a human being, all politics aside.

When your 17th birthday party consists of you, your mom, and an ice cream cake ... maybe suicide isn't the worst plan ever.

When your 17th birthday party consists of you, your mom, and an ice cream cake ... maybe suicide isn't the worst plan ever.

Except it wasnt suicide. He was shot outside a restaurant he went to get lunch at, according to witnesses.
He could just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time

I won't go into detail about my life on a message board, but I busted ass to get my kid to a safe place to grow up. This meant living in my car for a short time until I found lodgings for us both (his dad was not in the picture, nor cared to be). I washed dishes at honky tonks, cooked at a greasy spoon diner for dinner for us both, and worked my ass off. He was raised right, and in safe environments until he graduated from school and went off on his own. He LIVED.

This woman stayed there, in a dangerous location, saw her kid holding a gun in front of money and KNEW of the gangs everywhere and did nothing.

I won't go into detail about my life on a message board, but I busted ass to get my kid to a safe place to grow up. This meant living in my car for a short time until I found lodgings for us both (his dad was not in the picture, nor cared to be). I washed dishes at honky tonks, cooked at a greasy spoon diner for dinner for us both, and worked my ass off. He was raised right, and in safe environments until he graduated from school and went off on his own. He LIVED.

This woman stayed there, in a dangerous location, saw her kid holding a gun in front of money and KNEW of the gangs everywhere and did nothing.

Well, not everyone might have your clarity of mind or strength in that situation. She could have stuck around because she had other family in the area, who knows. Not everyone is quite the same and in that case, unfortunately so.

Well, lets hope that Trumps policies really will start bringing industry back to the big cities. Maybe more jobs for people can be part of a change in the right direction.

She stuck around so her 17 year old kid could die on his birthday. I have no pity for her at all. I have pity for HIM. Too bad he didn't just bail himself.

Sorry. It just pisses me off. And whats the odds that it was BLACKS that killed him? As I keep saying....THEY FUCKING KILL THEIR OWN.

Well, not everyone might have your clarity of mind or strength in that situation. She could have stuck around because she had other family in the area, who knows. Not everyone is quite the same and in that case, unfortunately so.

Well, lets hope that Trumps policies really will start bringing industry back to the big cities. Maybe more jobs for people can be part of a change in the right direction.
yes--it will take many changes in many aspects
but I didn't think it was this bad during The Depression
you had the Mafia/Gang/etc murders--but I don't think poverty was as much the problem
..I'll have to research that .....might be difficult though
..of course, I would think more murders would occur in the poverty areas back then--but how much?

'I made it to see 17,' St. Louis teen posted on his birthday. An hour later, he was dead.

Armond Latimore posted on his Facebook page Saturday about how glad he was that he made it to see his 17th birthday; just over an hour later he would be dead from a gunshot wound to his head.

Latimore, of St. Louis, was shot about 1 p.m. Saturday — his birthday — in the 3100 block of North Grand Boulevard, police said. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Homicide detectives are investigating.

His mother, Chandra D. Payne, 38, said she had left her home and went to a nearby store to buy ice cream to go with a cake to celebrate her son’s birthday. She said he didn’t want anything elaborate.

“He told me that he wanted ice cream,” she said. “I went to Save A Lot and three minutes later I received the call.”

She was told he had been shot outside a chop suey restaurant called Bing Lau, where he had gone to pick up food. The scene is a few blocks south of Fairground Park in the Jeff-Vander-Lou neighborhood.

Damn. His mother was out buying him ice cream to go with his cake when she received the call. Reading that part really fucked with me. :(
nice thing about living just inside my fiscal limits, is I know my son is going to turn 18 in Oct, unless something medical occurs.

head shots are executions, still though..

head shots are executions, still though

Unlike detectives on TV, you can't tell the motivations of a killer by the placement of the shots.

Most people miss more often than they hit so it's a wonder they ever hit at what they actually aim.

Except for zombies, however. Anything other than a head-shot is just teasing the poor zombie.

If the neighborhood was so damn bad, why the hell would the mother continue to STAY in it? Especially with him posting he is glad to make it to age 17. That right there is a clue.
I don't care what she says about this now. She should have done anything and everything to GET OUT of there. But, she didn't.
how do you know what she did or what she was working towards based off anything made public yet?

Armond-Latimore.jpg

I wonder where he got the idea that gang culture was "cool"?

While this is clearly a tragedy, the point should be - what can be done about this?

It's clear The War on Poverty hasn't worked.

Are there real alternatives?

True.

Running away from problems is vastly underrated in our society.

While this is clearly a tragedy, the point should be - what can be done about this?

It's clear The War on Poverty hasn't worked.

Are there real alternatives?

A "war" on single motherhood would be the place to start.

Better paying jobs so that the males at least have the possibility of being men.

Except it wasnt suicide. He was shot outside a restaurant he went to get lunch at, according to witnesses.
He could just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time

Why did he go out for lunch while Mom was already going out? Something is fishy, and it is not the sushi restaurant down the street.

Forum List

Back