Teen Outsmarts Doctors In Science Class

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
We have had great doctors over the years. Most generally they have told us, "you know your body better than anyone".

Smart girl!
Self-diagnosis impresses docs who've missed signs of her disease for years

By EMILY FELDMAN

Updated 10:21 AM PDT, Mon, Jun 15, 2009

When doctors didn't give a Washington state high school student the answers she wanted, she took matters into her own hands.

Eighteen-year-old Jessica Terry, brought slides of her own intestinal tissue into her AP science class and correctly diagnosed herself with Crohn's disease.

"It's weird I had to solve my own medical problem," Terry told CNN affiliate KOMO. "There were just no answers anywhere ... I was always sick."....................cont.........

crones is not new there is no reason a doctor should not have been able to find this...again....the medical professions treatment of women as 2nd class citizens by thinking their symptoms are in thier heads.....

o dont you garabage me....you and i both know damned well crones out that hard to figure out...hell the kid did it...but an educated doctor couldnt...

crones is not new there is no reason a doctor should not have been able to find this...again....the medical professions treatment of women as 2nd class citizens by thinking their symptoms are in thier heads.....

of course, while women complain about sexism and being called histerical- they sure love those vibrators the evil Men came up with to treat them :lol:

The Medical Assault on Young Women

By Sherill Sellmen

The Berlin Wall of hormone replacement therapy came tumbling down in July 2002 when the most prestigious study ever conducted on HRT found that the steroidal hormones, oestrogen and synthetic progestins caused breast cancer, strokes and blood clots. It's been a downhill slide for HRT (and drug profits) ever since.

The real lesson from that study is that, for 40 years, menopausal women were in fact the uninformed guinea pigs trialling dangerous hormonal drugs that made an unprecedented fortune for drug manufacturers. The world was shocked with the findings from the study, and millions of angry women defected from the HRT ranks....................................................................cont.
"Women’s health and clinical trials

Women have traditionally been underrepresented in clinical trials. In order to translate recent advances in our understanding of the molecular and physiological bases of sex differences into new therapeutics and health practices, sound sex-specific clinical data are imperative. Since the founding of the Office of Research on Women’s Health within the Office of the Director at the NIH in 1990, inequities in federally funded biomedical research, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases affecting women in the US have been reviewed. Discussed herein is the evolution of gender-related research innovations, primarily within the last decade, and strategies and challenges involved in the success of this recent development................"

Doctors misdiagnose all the time, not just women. BTDT too many times with my son and other family members to know this is true. The problem is doctors all have a 'specialty' and no one wants to take the time to see the whole picture. You absolutely must take matters into your own hands and go into the doctor's office well-informed and vocal. Many a doctor brushed us (and other family members) aside, because 'we didn't know anything'. Turned out the docs were the ones who were clueless. I have such little faith in them.

Doctors misdiagnose all the time, not just women. BTDT too many times with my son and other family members to know this is true. The problem is doctors all have a 'specialty' and no one wants to take the time to see the whole picture. You absolutely must take matters into your own hands and go into the doctor's office well-informed and vocal. Many a doctor brushed us (and other family members) aside, because 'we didn't know anything'. Turned out the docs were the ones who were clueless. I have such little faith in them.

I know more about my own disease and treatment needs than 95% of doctors. The other 5% know as much as me. But I need their approval for treatment, lol.

Forum List

Back