Teen Dies After Officers Use Taser to Subdue Him

that may be your opinion from the cozy perspective of your computer throne but, alas, such is not the standard by which the police operate. Did the guy resist arrest? If you can't say NO then you have no real point to make. You can't predict what may or may not have happened were they not tazed. Sure, it's easy to insist they are innocent AFTER the fact. But, during the event it's a whole different story.

Once again, I'm not saying every case is abuse.
But in THOSE CLIPS do you actually believe THOSE people needed to be tasered?
If you don't want to talk about hypothetics, let's talk specifically.

SOME people get tasered wrongly. But no one who resists arrest gets tasered wrongly. Indeed, SOME people get shot wrongly. but most criminals who trigger lethal force do not. All you people are doing is making interaction with cops MORE lethal by removing their less lethal options.

but, if you want to play the evidence game feel free to post as many circumstances where someone got tased and didn't deserve it. I'll reply with examples of dead cops who should have reacted with lethal force but didn't. Google Molly Bowden from CPD in Columbia Missouri. If ever you think a cop should not take as much precaution necessary go ahead and take a look at what happens to cops who are not more careful than you people would allow them to be.

SOME people get tasered wrongly. But no one who resists arrest gets tasered wrongly.
Who decides whether they were resisting arrest?
Right, the cop who arrested them.
So your first statement cannot apply to police, particularly if the victim, err I mean hardened criminal, yeah that's the ticket, dies in the action.

For an example of someone Falsely accused, convicted and imprisoned, you need look no further than Stephen Cowans who was found guilty and served several years in prison until he could afford (by working with biohazards while in prison) to get his DNA tested against the fingerprint which was used along with the testimony of a police officer, to convict him.

Protect and Serve means I pay them, through my taxes, to serve protect me. If they don't like risking their life for the pay offered then they can get a different job.

Let's imagine for a moment that everybody that has ever been shot with a taser was shot with a .38 caliber police service pistol instead.
Feel better yet?

I wonder what ever happened to police being able to physically subdue a suspect without resorting to anything other than superior strength or numbers, let alone either a .38 or a taser.

IMHO, no one should be a police officer unless they have the physical ability to subdue a suspect without needing to use a taser or a firearm, unless the suspect is armed.

Look....
Even if the cop is completely wrong and being a first class a-hole, it is in your best interests to comply with what he is asking. You can always file a complaint afterwards and with the filming of arrests you will probably win.
However, if you are a smartass and fight back you are going to get tazed, pepper sprayed or worse.

Something to reflect on. This happened in a neighbouring state. Victoria Police are a pretty good outfit, I have worked with them on cross-border investigations. They have some - in Australian terms at least - pretty mean criminals there and Melbourne being a city of some 4m people they have these incidents all the time. I'm not sure if I fully agree with the Coroner's remarks but then I haven't seen the evidence.

The mother of a man shot by a policeman in Carlton five years ago believes Victoria Police officers should be armed with Taser stun guns and receive more training.

Sergeant Samuel Cahir shot Gregory Biggs in January 2004 when he was coming towards him with a samurai sword raised above his head. After being shot, Biggs fled. He was found dead an hour later in a park near the corners of Lygon and Park streets.

Coroner Audrey Jamieson today found that Biggs died as a result of massive blood loss from the shot into his upper back, which occurred because he was holding the sword above his head.

Ms Jamieson also said the current amount of police operational safety tactics and training courses, of two days every year, should be reviewed.

More at link - Heartbroken mother's call for Taser stun guns

Let me just make on point though. Policing in Australia (generally, very generally) is not as hazardous as it is in the United States and I don't mean just the big cities. I've done a bit of visiting with colleagues in various areas in the States (big cities, rural Sheriff's depts, town police) and I can tell you that coppering there is much more difficult than it is in Australia for various reasons which don't bear discussion here. I know we're lucky here in that regard.

Something to reflect on. This happened in a neighbouring state. Victoria Police are a pretty good outfit, I have worked with them on cross-border investigations. They have some - in Australian terms at least - pretty mean criminals there and Melbourne being a city of some 4m people they have these incidents all the time. I'm not sure if I fully agree with the Coroner's remarks but then I haven't seen the evidence.

The mother of a man shot by a policeman in Carlton five years ago believes Victoria Police officers should be armed with Taser stun guns and receive more training.

Sergeant Samuel Cahir shot Gregory Biggs in January 2004 when he was coming towards him with a samurai sword raised above his head. After being shot, Biggs fled. He was found dead an hour later in a park near the corners of Lygon and Park streets.

Coroner Audrey Jamieson today found that Biggs died as a result of massive blood loss from the shot into his upper back, which occurred because he was holding the sword above his head.

Ms Jamieson also said the current amount of police operational safety tactics and training courses, of two days every year, should be reviewed.

More at link - Heartbroken mother's call for Taser stun guns

Let me just make on point though. Policing in Australia (generally, very generally) is not as hazardous as it is in the United States and I don't mean just the big cities. I've done a bit of visiting with colleagues in various areas in the States (big cities, rural Sheriff's depts, town police) and I can tell you that coppering there is much more difficult than it is in Australia for various reasons which don't bear discussion here. I know we're lucky here in that regard.

gun possession? i am just trying to guess, and that's the only thing i could come up with? or maybe more drug addicts here? more gangs? more downtrodden city areas?

what? :lol:

tell me in a pm/visitor message if you don't want to sidetrack the thread....how are you lucky there regarding coppering? :)

care

No worries Care I suppose it might derail but then folks can just ignore it and pass on through I suppose.

Firearms yes. While we have quite a few firearms here we do have fairly stringent firearms control laws and much firearm (lawful) ownership tends to be in rural areas. I need to point out immediately that gun owners here are overwhelmingly responsible people, the dangerous use of lawful firearms by lawful owners is very, very low - the crooks that tool up with shooters, that's another thing of course.

While we aren't complacent in a traffic stop, for example, we are less likely to come across a person armed with a firearm (lawful or unlawful) so we have to strike a balance between caution and reality. If some American cops saw us they'd probably accuse us of being complacent, but as I said, it's a different environment.

As far as being luckier is concerned, there are many reasons and of course these are entirely subjective. But I know one reason. It's less dangerous. Really it is.
I've been on the ridealong with US (and Canadian) cops in various departments and I can tell you it is very different. I went for a ride with a detective and his partner in Corpus Christi Tx and they briefed me on what to do if there was any shooting - and this was in broad daylight. They weren't kidding me. They were serious. I have to tell you, although it's a bit vulgar, the bloke in the back seat was clenching somewhat.

As I said, that's probably the big reason. In some parts of Australia (Sydney, Melbourne) it would be akin to some medium size cities in the States as far as hazards are concerned but where I am, although we have had our moments, it's not that physically dangerous. My city is about 1m people. the size of San Diego but coppering in San Diego is far more onerous and difficult than it is here.

Forum List

Back