Teen charged in NJ Walmart racial comment case

Puleez. there were kids in a NJ school planning a Columbine attack just a few months ago. Barely a word in the press and I recall some bleeding hearts here saying "non story - it was thwarted".

Kids make racist/sexist comments in the interest of "comedy" all the time. We don't find it funny; but it is certainly acceptable amongst their peers - black. White , gay, female, etc. Welcome to my world.

Why are you defending this thug? Is he the son of one of your fellow white hood wearers?

It's not about defending the dumb thing the kid did. It's about using common sense and showing how our collective bow to government abuse is spilling over into retarded arrests.

Is it your general feeling that the law shouldn't be enforced when you don't personally feel like it should?

Stop showing how the term "common sense" can be any oxymoron.

He isn't being charged with trespass but with a crime involving speech.

AND?

There are plenty of crimes involving speech, would you like me to list them for you?

And there are plenty of trespasses on the First Amendment. Want me to list them for you?

I don't think you understand that rights are not absolute and without limit. You should seriously consider asking to sit in on a high school civics class, you could use the review.

Tell you what, why don't you walk into your nearest bank and tell the teller to hand over all the money. When they arrest you explain you were only exercising your unlimited 1st amendment right to speech.

It's not about defending the dumb thing the kid did. It's about using common sense and showing how our collective bow to government abuse is spilling over into retarded arrests.

Is it your general feeling that the law shouldn't be enforced when you don't personally feel like it should?

Is that the way you feel about it? Are you from Gloucester Country? Because if you're not, maybe you should go there, and explain to the duly elected and appointed authorities there that they have it all wrong, that they have no common sense, that they have no right to enforce laws against harassment enacted by the people through their duly elected legislators - because you just don't feel its fair.

Is that the way you feel about it? Are you from Gloucester Country? Because if you're not, maybe you should go there, and explain to the duly elected and appointed authorities there that they have it all wrong, that they have no common sense, that they have no right to enforce laws against harassment enacted by the people through their duly elected legislators - because you just don't feel its fair.

There is something known as the "spirit of the law" and "the intent of the law"

The law is not designed to ruin the life of a child based on an immature prank.

I know....what if someone dies.....but someone didnt.

This is no different than putting a bag of dog shit on someone stoop, luighting it on fire, and ringing the doorbell and running...

A dangerous prank yes...but one where the kid just did not undresatnd the ramifications.

Already tried that. But when I used the PA system to announce all stoopid people should leave I got arrested.

Of course they have the legal right to enforce the laws but this is turning a glass of spilled milk into a murdered cow.

And is it our place to determine that in this case, or the court system of Gloucester County? I could've sworn I had heard something about "local governance" once.

Unless he has previous offenses, I highly doubt he will be sentenced to the maximum - 1 year in juvie - for the offense. He'll probably do probation, which will be off of his record as an adult - so maybe you could explain how this will "ruin his life"

??? I'm not even sure where that one came from. In that particular county or maybe the entire state there is a law that makes it a crime to harass and intimidate people. In fact - in most jurisdictions there is such a law. Maybe instead of posting on this board you should be going down to your local city hall and complaining about laws that make it a crime to verbally harass people.

In fact - maybe what you should be doing is complaining to George W Bush. If that kid had done what he did at Wal Mart on the internet, he'd be in violation of a federal law W signed.

This is no different than putting a bag of dog shit on someone stoop, luighting it on fire, and ringing the doorbell and running...

I never did that as a kid. But I knew some kids who did. In their description of their prank, they left out the part where they yelled racial epithets. Maybe I just hung out with a different crowd as a kid than you.

And I guarantee you that any cop who witnessed a kid trespassing on someone else's property and lighting a bag of anything on fire wouldn't let the kid just run away.

And is it our place to determine that in this case, or the court system of Gloucester County? I could've sworn I had heard something about "local governance" once.

Unless he has previous offenses, I highly doubt he will be sentenced to the maximum - 1 year in juvie - for the offense. He'll probably do probation, which will be off of his record as an adult - so maybe you could explain how this will "ruin his life"

??? I'm not even sure where that one came from. In that particular county or maybe the entire state there is a law that makes it a crime to harass and intimidate people. In fact - in most jurisdictions there is such a law. Maybe instead of posting on this board you should be going down to your local city hall and complaining about laws that make it a crime to verbally harass people.

In fact - maybe what you should be doing is complaining to George W Bush. If that kid had done what he did at Wal Mart on the internet, he'd be in violation of a federal law W signed.

I never did that as a kid. But I knew some kids who did. In their description of their prank, they left out the part where they yelled racial epithets. Maybe I just hung out with a different crowd as a kid than you.

And I guarantee you that any cop who witnessed a kid trespassing on someone else's property and lighting a bag of anything on fire wouldn't let the kid just run away.

I did what I croiticize others for doing....I read your post and did not read your sentiments by seeing what you were responding to.

I happen to be on the same page as you with this one.

And I too never did the bag of dog crap fire thing......but ya gotta damit....as dangerous as it is, it is one hell of a funny prank.

Ahh...the good old days where a prank was considered good clean fun. Now it becomes a national story.

AND?

There are plenty of crimes involving speech, would you like me to list them for you?

And there are plenty of trespasses on the First Amendment. Want me to list them for you?

I don't think you understand that rights are not absolute and without limit. You should seriously consider asking to sit in on a high school civics class, you could use the review.

Tell you what, why don't you walk into your nearest bank and tell the teller to hand over all the money. When they arrest you explain you were only exercising your unlimited 1st amendment right to speech.

Ar you this clueless in real life? Do you recognize the difference between making an immediate threat and making a stupid joke? Do you not understand that "bias crime" is a violation of first amendment rights and is not applicable in this case?
The answers are:
Yes, no, no, and no.
Just helping you out there.

Ar you this clueless in real life? Do you recognize the difference between making an immediate threat and making a stupid joke? Do you not understand that "bias crime" is a violation of first amendment rights and is not applicable in this case?

I'm not sure how hate crime enhancements to a crime are unconstitutional, maybe you could cite some case law to explain it for me.

In the meantime, I suggest you get a busload of similarly minded people, name yourself the Freedom Crusaders, and tour around the U.S. telling people how its a violation of their 1st amendment rights to make it a crime for them to harass and intimidate others.

I'm not sure how hate crime enhancements to a crime are unconstitutional, maybe you could cite some case law to explain it for me.

In the meantime, I suggest you get a busload of similarly minded people, name yourself the Freedom Crusaders, and tour around the U.S. telling people how its a violation of their 1st amendment rights to make it a crime for them to harass and intimidate others.

OK, it's proven. You are totally clueless.
Please explain how some kid grabbing a microphone is harassing and intimidating others.
Oh wait a minute, you thought the crime was trespassing in Wal Mart. Guess that was wrong. This is wrong too.
You are an uber tool bag.

Please explain how some kid grabbing a microphone is harassing and intimidating others.

Its not the act of grabbing the microphone that is the crime.

Why aren't you busy getting your Freedom Riders ready? There are plenty of jurisdictions where harassment and intimidation are criminal acts. Surely you must feel the urge to STOP this injustice!

Last edited:

Its not the act of grabbing the microphone that is the crime.

Why aren't you busy getting your Freedom Riders ready? There are plenty of jurisdictions where harassment and intimidation are criminal acts. Surely you must feel the urge to STOP this injustice!

Oh OK, so you didnt write this:
I seriously had no idea freedom of speech allowed me to walk onto private property and use the owner of that property's PA system to broadcast whatever message I like to his customers
And you haven't explained how a kid making a joke on the pA at Wal Mart is threatening, harassing or intimidating.

Everyone assumes this teenager that did this is white. The article did not identify if he is white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Italian, or whatever!

And you haven't explained how a kid making a joke on the pA at Wal Mart is threatening, harassing or intimidating.

A joke? A joke is something that people find funny. Maybe you can explain what's humorous about his actions. Explain it to Wal Mart because they certainly didn't find it humorous.

I thought it was funny.
And you've proven a tool bag because you can't identify what the problem is. So now we're going to arrest people for making jokes that aren't sufficiently funny?

A joke? A joke is something that people find funny. Maybe you can explain what's humorous about his actions. Explain it to Wal Mart because they certainly didn't find it humorous.

I thought it was funny.
And you've proven a tool bag because you can't identify what the problem is. So now we're going to arrest people for making jokes that aren't sufficiently funny?

Becuase it was so outrageous is why I found it funny. I certainly never would have thought that adult people would be offended by a prank like that.

It was funny...no doubt about it. I am Jewish...if the kid announced "All Jews please go to aile 4 as we have all items on sale there"....I would have laughed...(and then checked Aisle 4 JUST IN CASE)

There used to be a day where Don Rickles was allowed to be funny...and we all laughed...at OURSLEVES.

But then again, there used to be a day where I went out to play at 9AM on a saturday and did not return until dinner...and my parents did not have to answer to child services.....

But I digress..

I thought it was funny.

Becuase it was so outrageous is why I found it funny. I certainly never would have thought that adult people would be offended by a prank like that.

It was funny...no doubt about it. I am Jewish...if the kid announced "All Jews please go to aile 4 as we have all items on sale there"....I would have laughed...(and then checked Aisle 4 JUST IN CASE)

There used to be a day where Don Rickles was allowed to be funny...and we all laughed...at OURSLEVES.

But then again, there used to be a day where I went out to play at 9AM on a saturday and did not return until dinner...and my parents did not have to answer to child services.....

But I digress..
I thought you were black.

I can understand that people could be intimidated by this, what with all the over the top craziness and the tendency of morons to take guns to crowded places and just mowing people down.

But unless this kid did this for any other reason than a laugh he only should get a slap on the wrist for being an asshole.

Forum List

Back