Teddy on immigrants and being American

Kagom

Jan 16, 2006
Vicksburg, MS
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

It might just be me, but that really does sum up how we should approach the issue of immigration. They have to conform to America and not America to them.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
This shouldn't be a political issue, and the fact is Dems and Reps have equally dropped the ball on this issue. Representative Tancredo has been beating this drum the loudest, but largely ignored by both Reps and Dems because of politics. I think your points are good, and hopefully now this issue will get addressed

Kagom said:
It might just be me, but that really does sum up how we should approach the issue of immigration. They have to conform to America and not America to them.

America is a country of immigrants (said today by Spector on ABC). He was talking about immigrants in general, but referred to his own parents' Russian heritage. No doubt they spoke Russian when they first came here and if they moved to a Russian immigrant neighborhood somewhere in PA, they undoubtedly continued to do so. Why pick on the southwestern Hispanics on the language issue? In major cities all over the country, we have fairly isolated Chinatowns with inhabitants who speak Chinese only, with scraps of English. That's all they need to survive. But if they were not so isolated, no doubt they would, as many more other Chinese-Americans did, enter the mainstream culture, and over generations may lose the ability to speak anything but English. There are many first generation Hispanics in the southwest and elsewhere who only need Spanish to deal with daytoday life. Yet there are many others who have moved into the mainstream culture, who may or may not speak Spanish, but need English to survive and are fluent. The problem is isolation and with exception, most immigrants have had to deal with it. Part of it is voluntary: living among language and ethnically similar people in a strange country is comfortable for newcomers. Part of it is enforced: only the ethnic ghetto may be welcoming. And it goes without saying that being illegal is culturally isolating because it is safer.

In my mind, the Hispanic immigrants are no different than other immigrants. And we are a country of immigrants, as Spector reminds us, from 170 different countries. Let's treat them as such.

SweetBoy said:
In my mind, the Hispanic immigrants are no different than other immigrants. And we are a country of immigrants, as Spector reminds us, from 170 different countries. Let's treat them as such.

But they are different. Specter lies. Hispanics are NOT like the British and European whites who came before. There are limits to assimilation. You can't make everyone in the world an American by pouring Coca-Cola over their heads.

SweetBoy said:

my family came through ellis island legally.....speak english as a first language and pay taxes....

so in my mind there is a huge difference..

Kagom said:

Good post & comment...but ya forgot to mention..."Legal Immigration"!

SweetBoy said:
Why pick on the southwestern Hispanics on the language issue?

I agree that immigrants assimilate with common languages and cultures. As generation come up they adapt to American culture. However, I believe, as previous immigrants did, they (Hispanic immigrants) are being prevented from gaining access to mainstream America by Spanish language education paid for at the tax payers expense rather than teaching English. That I'd gladly pay for. I see this as creating a permanent under class and preventing them access to mainstream American dreams. Do we really want to limit Hispanics to dish washing and gardening jobs? Of course, not. That is why if we truly see them as immigrants we should allow them the potential to climb the economic ladder rather than keeping them as gardeners. But, regardless it needs to be done legally! Illegals I want them out. The fist step to immigration should be respecting our laws.

William Joyce said:
But they are different. Specter lies. Hispanics are NOT like the British and European whites who came before. There are limits to assimilation. You can't make everyone in the world an American by pouring Coca-Cola over their heads.

I really don't believe that white nationalism does anything for the Republican party nor for conservatism in general. This is so far right of even the most conservative of Republicans that I would have to suggest that it is a welcoming card for NeoNazis. Can anyone who believes in American values really agree with this kind of caucasian supremacy or panracism.

Kagom said:

Indeed, TR is right on regarding immigration.

Forum List

Back