Ted Turner: Military suicides outnumbering combat deaths is 'good'

I get what he's saying.....I don't agree that suicides are good though. MOST of us ARE programmed to care, not to ignore....to love, not to hate.

Sure, there are exceptions...mostly in the Republican Party, but I digress....Just kidding guys!

No, there are exceptions....but for the most part....we believe to one extent or another that we are all brothers.

I get it too but, ore to the point is that if he were a pub, they'd be telling us how he stated it "inelegantly".

Hypocrites.

Why do you guys have such trouble separating Emotion from Logic. Suicides are out pacing Combat Deaths because Tech has advanced so much in keeping people alive in Combat.

So yes it's a good thing.

Well...you also have a valid point....Technology has saved many lives that would have been possibly lost even in the first Gulf War.

But that wasn't really Ted's point. PSTD military suicide isn't a logical subject....and has nothing to do with technology. It has to do with EMOTIONS and the emotional trauma suffered when being a witness to, or the participation of the destruction of human lives.

Ya cause after 5 years of total war in WW2 there were millions of suicides amongst that Generation..... Ohh wait, no there wasn't. The human beast is not loving of every other human, that is simple science and fact. The claim to the contrary is bullshit and delusional. We form groups and outsiders to our groups are viewed with paranoia distrust and violence when pushed.

We have more suicides because it is the last 40 years of dumbing down the population and teaching them they are not responsible for their actions. Suicide is a cowards way out. And by the way if one believes in God they would not commit suicide it is a mortal sin.

I know all about suicide. I want to kill myself all the time. But I was raised to believe in responsibility and I believe in God. Responsibility means I don't get to take the cowards way out because I have a wife and 2 children. I have responsibilities that will not be fulfilled if I quit this world. And again I do not wish to commit a mortal sin.

I take medication for my depression and suicidal thoughts. And no they don't solve the desire they just make it easier to fight off the desire.

There are more suicides in the Military because they are taught that asking for mental health help is a career ender. It is a weakness. The military tries to fight this group think but they pretty much never win.

If the base belief in the Military were that one seeks treatment for their illness then this would not be as big a problem as it is. The military lifestyle FROWNS on using sick bay except for the most dire of situations and it completely frowns on asking for mental health, it is seen as a sign of weakness. It is institutional and no matter how much the military spends on tv ads and flyers and doctors until the Institution changes its core beliefs this will remain a problem.

Human nature is not loving and caring EXCEPT towards members of your own group.

Ya cause after 5 years of total war in WW2 there were millions of suicides amongst that Generation....Ohh wait, no there wasn't.

could it be the reason they were at War as compared to now?....

Well...you also have a valid point....Technology has saved many lives that would have been possibly lost even in the first Gulf War.

But that wasn't really Ted's point. PSTD military suicide isn't a logical subject....and has nothing to do with technology. It has to do with EMOTIONS and the emotional trauma suffered when being a witness to, or the participation of the destruction of human lives.

Ya cause after 5 years of total war in WW2 there were millions of suicides amongst that Generation..... Ohh wait, no there wasn't. The human beast is not loving of every other human, that is simple science and fact. The claim to the contrary is bullshit and delusional. We form groups and outsiders to our groups are viewed with paranoia distrust and violence when pushed.

We have more suicides because it is the last 40 years of dumbing down the population and teaching them they are not responsible for their actions. Suicide is a cowards way out. And by the way if one believes in God they would not commit suicide it is a mortal sin.

I know all about suicide. I want to kill myself all the time. But I was raised to believe in responsibility and I believe in God. Responsibility means I don't get to take the cowards way out because I have a wife and 2 children. I have responsibilities that will not be fulfilled if I quit this world. And again I do not wish to commit a mortal sin.

I take medication for my depression and suicidal thoughts. And no they don't solve the desire they just make it easier to fight off the desire.

There are more suicides in the Military because they are taught that asking for mental health help is a career ender. It is a weakness. The military tries to fight this group think but they pretty much never win.

If the base belief in the Military were that one seeks treatment for their illness then this would not be as big a problem as it is. The military lifestyle FROWNS on using sick bay except for the most dire of situations and it completely frowns on asking for mental health, it is seen as a sign of weakness. It is institutional and no matter how much the military spends on tv ads and flyers and doctors until the Institution changes its core beliefs this will remain a problem.

Ya cause after 5 years of total war in WW2 there were millions of suicides amongst that Generation....Ohh wait, no there wasn't.

Well, Harry....I think sarge has a mindset that those people back then were immune to the death and destruction they witnessed and yes....caused. I don't know if the cause really matters all that much. Your enemy is a fellow human being with loved ones, just like you....those thoughts alone can fuck with your head, then consider the fear, stress and tension of being in mortal danger for prolonged periods of time...then throw the sensory stimulation of muzzle flashes, gunfire, explosions, fire and carnage.
I don't care how right a cause is.....it's going to be traumatic to the mind.

CaféAuLait;6223443 said:

Read more: Ted Turner: Military suicides outnumbering combat deaths is 'good' | Fox News

No wonder he and Jane Fonda were married at one point in time. What a screwed up statement!

Video at link:

Read more: Ted Turner: Military suicides outnumbering combat deaths is 'good' | Fox News

Why do you guys have such trouble separating Emotion from Logic. Suicides are out pacing Combat Deaths because Tech has advanced so much in keeping people alive in Combat.

So yes it's a good thing.

actually PSTD and other Things are increasing also because of Tech. Lots of Closed head injuries that not a few years ago would have been KIA's

No mental issues are fought with character and strong beliefs. If you have never been taught to be self reliant and strong, have no strong core values and do not understand that YOU are responsible for your actions suicide is just another act that " hey I am not responsible for".

I have delusional paranoia and recurring major depression, have had it at least since I was 17. Yet I went into the marine Corps and spent almost 16 years there. I made GySgt. EARLY. When I finally broke down the Navy Doctor told me as sick as I was there is no way I should have finished Boot Camp much less spend 16 years in. For all that time I just ignored my thoughts or shrugged them off. I worked through my depression or ignored it.

From 1995 until 2004 I managed to only attempt to kill myself once. Until around April of 2004 meds were not very effective. We finally found a mix that helps me fight the thoughts. Plus I don't work anymore.

The bad thing is once you give in and break there is no going back. You can't put that genie back in a bottle.

Pretty sure my dad had similar problems, he dealt with his through alcohol. And my son and daughter both have problems under control right now.

Our society has spent the last 40 years teaching every new generation they simply are not responsible for their actions, they are owed stuff from "someone" .

Holy crap. So, he thinks if people think more like libs, they will kill themselves for fighting for their country. He needs to be on medication. Only a liberal would see that as good. Maybe they think it's generally Repubs who join the military. How nice that they think so highly of those who committed suicide.

The libs I know are not happy and are in a constant state of outrage over something. I think some libs want people to feel guilty if they are doing better than others. It doesn't apply to them, but everyone else should willingly allow their possessions and money to be equally redistributed. Liberals in the UK are trying to figure out how to get older couples out of their family homes. They say the houses are "under-occupied" and some are pushing for high taxes to chase people out. In other countries, people were forced to share their homes with other people.

It's always interesting to look at other places and see where we are headed if we stay on this ultra liberal course.

Last edited:
Holy crap. So, he thinks if people think more like libs, they will kill themselves for fighting for their country. He needs to be on medication. Only a liberal would see that as good. Maybe they think it's generally Repubs who join the military. How nice that they think so highly of those who committed suicide.

The libs I know are not happy and are in a constant state of outrage over something. I think some libs want people to feel guilty if they are doing better than others. It doesn't apply to them, but everyone else should willingly allow their possessions and money to be equally redistributed. Liberals in the UK are trying to figure out how to get older couples out of their family homes. They say the houses are "under-occupied" and some are pushing for high taxes to chase people out. In other countries, people were forced to share their homes with other people.

It's always interesting to look at other places and see where we are headed if we stay on this ultra liberal course.

ummm....horses and bayonets? Look in a mirror to look at "outrage over something". Conservatives have been the kings of outrage for the last four years.

I qualify as a "lib" to most of you conservatives.....I am neither unhappy or outraged....sure, I get pissed and express it when you guys go on your daily tirades about some insignificant BS, and sometimes not so insignificant issues that could be discussed rationally....but ten tons of hate and vitriol gets thrown on top of a 500lb issue, and that turns a legitimate issue into more BS. But outside of this communication medium.....I am a very grounded person who is able to be friends with just about anyone.

CaféAuLait;6223443 said:

MORGAN: You made the point to me in the break there, more American servicemen have --

TURNER: -- are dying now from suicide over there than are dying in combat.

MORGAN: That's shocking, isn't it?

TURNER: Well, what -- no, I think it's -- I think it's good, because it's so clear that we're programmed and we're born to love and help each other, not to kill each other, to destroy each other. That's an aberration. That's left over from hundreds of years ago. It's time for to us start acting enlightened.

No wonder he and Jane Fonda were married at one point in time. What a screwed up statement!

Video at link:

Turner's comment about putting war behind us is spoken like a true rear echelon mofo. I agree with both Gunny and Steelplate. Humans are not programmed to inherently trust or love one another per se. That said, I do not believe humans are necessarily programmed to kill one another without negative emotional impact either. I think human tendency runs more middle of the road. I know my own desire to be able to trust various people I've met, and to see the best in them has gotten me burned often enough. However, on the other side of that rampart lies my own inherent drive to protect not only those I love, but those with whom I served personally. Add in patriotic conditioning and military training. Volatile stuff. People kill for it all the time. Ideology is the perfect catalyst to violence and self destruction.

Ted Turner though...his opinion is hardly worthy of publication.

CaféAuLait;6223443 said:

MORGAN: You made the point to me in the break there, more American servicemen have --

TURNER: -- are dying now from suicide over there than are dying in combat.

MORGAN: That's shocking, isn't it?

TURNER: Well, what -- no, I think it's -- I think it's good, because it's so clear that we're programmed and we're born to love and help each other, not to kill each other, to destroy each other. That's an aberration. That's left over from hundreds of years ago. It's time for to us start acting enlightened.

Video at link:

Here's the Video for you..:cuckoo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rldRWeUkY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rldRWeUkY[/ame]

Last edited:
I get what he's saying.....I don't agree that suicides are good though. MOST of us ARE programmed to care, not to ignore....to love, not to hate.

Sure, there are exceptions...mostly in the Republican Party, but I digress....Just kidding guys!

No, there are exceptions....but for the most part....we believe to one extent or another that we are all brothers.

What fucking world do you live in? Mankind is not a loving race, we are societal and those that do not belong to our group are outsiders and are fair game for assault and such. The claim we all love each other is a delusion created in the 60's.

I have to disagree with ya RGS... kids are not programmed to hate from birth, it is a learned trait.

"Normal" humans are not wired to kill eachother... and dealing with having killed another human has got to be very traumatic to any soldier. It takes a special warrior to be able to put that aside and do the job at hand, so I salute these men and women.

BTW... Fuck you Ted Turner.
:mad:

Thanks Steelplate for giving me the heads up, I'm new around here so I guess eventually someone will come down on me like a tons horse dung. I'll try to stay civil as long as I can.

New Topics

Forum List

Back