Ted Stevens maybe on his way out!!

bk1983

Off too Kuwait..
Oct 17, 2008
It aint over till its over, doesn't look good though.

After nearly four decades in the U.S. Senate, Stevens trails Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich by 1,022 votes with 25,000 left to count. The remaining votes come largely from the Anchorage area and southeast Alaska, both carried by Begich on election night.
A Begich win would spare Republican colleagues the choice of whether to expel the longest-serving GOP senator in the history of the world's greatest deliberative body. In October, a federal court jury convicted "Uncle Ted" on seven counts of failure to report gifts received from a buddy in the oil industry.

As Mayor Skeffington lies on his deathbed in Edwin O'Connor's "The Last Hurrah," a longtime flunky intones, "Ah Frank! You've done great things! Great things!"

"Among others!" replies Frank Skeffington, realist to the end.

Ted Stevens admitted to no vice but, like Frank Skeffington, expected a tithe from those for whom he did favors. And, oh, the favors he could do as a senior pork barreler on the Senate Appropriations Committee.

A custom until this re-election was for "Uncle Ted" to fly south from Ted Stevens International Airport in Anchorage to hold a series of fundraisers at the Washington Athletic Club.

Our fisheries industry, shippers, contractors, transportation interests and even high tech -- notwithstanding Stevens' description of the Internet as a "series of tubes" -- were expected to fork up. The take usually topped $250,000. (Stevens slipped into town for a quiet breakfast at the WAC this year.)

At home, Stevens merits top billing in the group of favor-receiving Alaska politicians who, at the legislative level, jokingly called themselves the "Corrupt Bastards Club."

"He exercised stunningly bad judgment by entangling his personal financial affairs with Bill Allen, a fat-cat power broker with a long public history of illegal campaign contributions," the Anchorage Daily News wrote of Stevens in endorsing Begich.

Senator-for-Life Stevens faces own 'Last Hurrah'

Big blow to Palin who was going to be in the Senate for the next 4 years and launch her political career that way.

Stevens is on his way out regardless. The question is will the Republicans retain the seat. Or will the Democrats get their fillibuster proof Senate.

voices.washingtonpost.com?? are you serious.. I don't suggest using blogs as 'proof'

I'll actually wait til the votes are counted... considering a large # of the votes to be counted are coming from more rural and conservative areas

Last edited:
voices.washingtonpost.com?? are you serious.. I don't suggest using blogs as 'proof'

I'll actually wait til the votes are counted... considering a large # of the votes to be counted are coming from more rural and conservative areas

are YOU serious?

There are roughly 24,000 votes left to be counted, and the counting will resume, and presumably conclude, early next week, according to the Begich campaign. Of the remaining votes, roughly 15,000 are in the Anchorage area (a swing area in the race) and another 8,000 are in the Juneau area, which should be Begich territory.

I fully expect him to win... and then resign.... leaving it up to Palin to choose his replacement

yeah, bloggers don't always have their facts straight...

" Alaska's law on senatorial succession was changed twice in 2004 -- once by the Legislature, and once by ballot initiative. Both laws call for a special election within 60 to 90 days of the vacancy. But they disagree on whether the governor appoints an interim senator in the meantime."

Stevens could keep seat in Senate: Politics | adn.com

I don't have a source... as I am waiting for the actual tallies after all the votes are counted... unlike your biased source you are attempting to use as proof...

According to the news agencies, absentee ballots are still being flown in, and currently Ted Stevens is behind by a percent.

I hope the fucker loses the election and is sent to hard time in federal.

According to the news agencies, absentee ballots are still being flown in, and currently Ted Stevens is behind by a percent.

I hope the fucker loses the election and is sent to hard time in federal.

Well.. unless the news agencies are opening the ballots (an illegal act) they don't know shit either

I am not a Stevens supporter.... I would love to see him replaced... but I also think a super majority by the DEMs is a very bad thing

Well.. unless the news agencies are opening the ballots (an illegal act) they don't know shit either

I am not a Stevens supporter.... I would love to see him replaced... but I also think a super majority by the DEMs is a very bad thing

No DipstickDave, they are watching the results as they are tallied, and currently, Ted Stevens is behind by a point.

Matter of fact, he's been losing ground since about last week.

I don't have a source... as I am waiting for the actual tallies after all the votes are counted... unlike your biased source you are attempting to use as proof...

You claimed that the areas that were still receiving votes were mostly conservative areas. Either back up your claim with a source, or retract it.

You claimed that the areas that were still receiving votes were mostly conservative areas. Either back up your claim with a source, or retract it.

Hmmm... the news reports had the ballots coming in from many rural areas.. conservative areas... plus the news reports stating many coming in from absentee ballots, including military... also conservative...

You were the one claiming to know the areas thanks to a blog... where I was the one stating we shall see as they actually get counted, and using the premise of more rural areas being more conservative....

You can doubt my assumption... just as I doubt any assumption by a biased blog

Forum List

Back