Technology that brought us recorded sound improvements

Another medium of sound recording that appeared in the late 1890's was magnetic wire recording. This was the brainchild of a Danish inventor. This process was usually applied to office dictation, meeting recording and possibly espionage! Here is a much later model from the early 1950's along with a better explaination --- revealing the history of this recording technique --- plus a demonstration!

Here is an RCA Magic Brain record changer from the late 1930's. This changer plays both sides of multiple records without flipping them over. It has 2 stylus and 2 motors. Once a record is played it will automatically reverse the direction of the record and play the flipside from the bottom.
You have to se it to believe it:

Edison produced the first true long play records in 1926. They were available in both 10 and 12 inch and spun at the same speed (80 RPM's) as regular Edison Diamond Disc Recordings. They did however have 400 groves per inch. That is more than the modern 33 1/3 records available today. The Edicon 12 in long play record would play for 40 minutes per side! Carmen is played first (LONG PLAY). This is followed by Kitten on the Keys a regular Diamond Disc. Note the switch to shift the tonearm propulsion. Edison records were designed for a tonearm mechanism made to move the tonearm across the record to prevent undue wear!!!! This idea harkened back to the days of Edison's cylinder machines.

Last edited:
Now here is a demonstration of the RCA Victor early 1930's attempt at 33 1/3 RPM Recording. These records were called Program Transcriptions. As stated previously the Depression, radio, and the record medium caused the premature demise of this innovation until after the War. These records used the same stylus as standard 78 RPM records; however the groves were somewhat closer --- playing time was approximately 15 minutes per side. The player is an RCA model 381 from 1934

Last edited:
Of course along with all of this there were attempts at echo effects that are rather humorous and interesting at the same time!

And if the sound quality left a little to be desired, one could always purchase a nifty phonograph accessory to visually entertain you! Ragtime Rastus is powered by a wheel driven by the spindle. Rastus is attached to a piano wire that bounces up and down upon the undulations on the wheel.

Last edited:
And let's not forget the refine ballroom dancing of the Magnetic Couple... The spindle is magnetized the dance floor is brass and there were 3 interchangeable tin plates that provide the illusion of various dance steps.

Last edited:
Now what follows was accidental. It seems that it became a practice when making electronic recordings to employ two microphones. These microphones obviously could not occupy the same space and so they were positioned apart from each other, and two transcriptions were made at the same time. This was done in case one encountered a technical difficulty.

However, it was much later discovered that where both recording still existed that each provided a slightly unique transcription. One might pick up the violins more where the other might enhance other instruments more.

When the two transcriptions were played simultaneously, voilà one had in fact dimensional or stereophonic sound! What follows is the 1st known accidental recording from 1929! Irony of irony --- it is the Rite of Spring which would eventually be illustrated in Disney's Fantasia and utilize early stereophonic technology in 1940 known as "Fantasound".

Last edited:
Well now! Let us consider the commercial aspects of recorded sound. One important area is that of public entertainment. What was needed was a way to allow for multiple record selections by patrons. The first such machine was the MULTIPHONE (manufactured from 1905 to 1908). The customer could select a recording from among 24 recordings, and for a nickel fee could listen to the latest tune from the stage or "Tin Pan Alley". It is hard to believe that such machine could be entirely mechanical wonders but indeed that was the case. And watching this machine function is as interesting (if not more so) then listening to the record itself.

Last edited:
Let's move on to a 1940 (Pre US involvement in World War II). This machine could only play one side of the record. (more than likely the A side). The records would have to be hand stacked in order to play the flip side. These machines were a wonder of plastic, lights, and bubbles!

Below is a 1927 Victor Orthophonic (Electric) Victrola. The motor running the turntable is electric (a wind-up was still available); however, while the record was recorded electrically by microphone (one take), playback was still acoustic (mechanical). BUT the horn was sealed from the soundbox (pickup) out to the opening and was folded upon itself to amplify the sound and bring out the base tones. Recorded here is the Charleston by the great band conductor of the period Paul Whitman. The cabinet style is William and Mary Revival --- a (traditional) style popular at that time along with the "modern" Art Deco.

My foster father was one of the 2 pianists on this.

16DEN086-1050.jpg

This what we had in our living room - ours had the feature of being able to record on vinyl.

Let's move on to a 1940 (Pre US involvement in World War II). This machine could only play one side of the record. (more than likely the A side). The records would have to be hand stacked in order to play the flip side. These machines were a wonder of plastic, lights, and bubbles!

Sorry Nipper, but so far these advancements you mention while interesting and historic, are crude and represent nothing in the true advancement of analog phonographic sound reproduction with the goal being to approach that of the original live sound. I know because a friend and I were two people who personally developed many technologies which achieved exactly that. The true state of the art in what is possible in home music reproduction is light years beyond what most people have, or have ever even seen, read about or dreamed of.

Sorry Nipper, but so far these advancements you mention while interesting and historic, are crude and represent nothing in the true advancement of analog phonographic sound reproduction with the goal being to approach that of the original live sound. I know because a friend and I were two people who personally developed many technologies which achieved exactly that. The true state of the art in what is possible in home music reproduction is light years beyond what most people have, or have ever even seen, read about or dreamed of.

True. But it had to start somewhere.
Advancements in computer technology has created giant leaps in many fields, digital reproduction among them.

True. But it had to start somewhere.
Advancements in computer technology has created giant leaps in many fields, digital reproduction among them.

Sorry, but you're missing my point. There are no computers in my stereo (unless you count the processors in my CD player). One of the great lies is that digital advanced the state of the art. CDs made for cheaper sound, better sounding more easily because at the time CDs came out, most consumer analog was poor and crude, but it has taken them nearly 30 years to get consumer digital up to where it just matches the sound of the best analog. More so, digital made audio much more profitable for the manufacturers. Problem is that the best analog is difficult and expensive to do, but ultimately, it remains the standard by which digital is measured. My CD sound is very good, the player would cost about $7,000 if made today, but still, when I put on a record, it runs leaps and bounds over CD sound. There is no substitute for good analog if your goal is lifelike music reproduction. Unfortunately, the "stereo" or "hi-fi" industry is being attacked once again as it is now being invaded by Home Theater, and most "stereos" sold now are part of and intended to be part of a multi-channel sound system and treat music reproduction as if it were the same as movie track audio. Sad.

Well, I jumping ahead here. In the 1950's RCA introduced the NEW Orthophonic High Fidelity records and record players. The sound had a lot to do with the new vinyl records and the speakers which were designed to be properly inclosed to best allow the sound to reverberate. Columbia reintroduced the 33 1/3 RPM records and RCA promoted the 45 RPM recordings. Here we have an early 1950's 45 rpm Hi Fi unit with what they called a blond finish. Let's listen to the McGuire Sisters...

Last edited:
Here is Xavier Cugat as played on a 1957 RCA New Orthophonic High Fidelity console. Sorry, but fortunately or unfortunately --- the 1950's were not all about Rock and Roll and the Big Bopper. 90% of the music was pretty much divided between classical and POP. Dads everywhere controlled the record players and were fascinated with rediscovered classical and what some today might call elevator music played on the latest equipment. It all sounded better than ever! And the 33 1/3 rpm became the record for "serious" music listeners and the 45 quickly became the format of the top 40 countdown! It maybe of interest that the 45 rpm records generally sold for 45 cents each and so were far easier for the kids to purchase.

Last edited:

You need to realize that great sound needs a great recording surface and great groove tracking and great amplification. All of this takes development and often there needs to be a reason for such development. And frankly, it was often the commercial aspects of the record industry that moved everything forward towards far greater achievements. Depressions and Wars both helped and hindered such developments for the general population. The post war eras (both 1st and 2nd) witnessed the greatest advances. 1920's with electrical (Orthophonic) and the 1950's with High Fidelity (wall of sound) and soon to follow STEREOPHONIC SOUND!

Forum List

Back