Technician accidentally sets off cannon on F-16 , destroys another F-16!

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Are we sure John McCain is dead???
Lol..

https://jalopnik.com/technician-acc...ite&utm_source=jalopnik_copy&utm_campaign=top

This sounds like something straight out of a goofy military comedy, but I assure you this is real: a Belgian technician accidentally set of the cannon of a military plane during maintenance, which shot another plane. That plane blew up, damaging the initial plane in the process. Talk about a bad day.

As reported by Aviation24.be, the event took place at the Florennes Air Base on October 11. A bunch of planes were being serviced, since some were heading off for a training mission. A technician in one of the F-16s accidentally hit that metaphorical big red button and activated its six-barreled Vulcan M16A-1 cannon.

Presumably before he even had time to utter “oh, shit”, another F-16AM had burst into flames. This one had recently been fully fueled for a training run, and yes, the bullets hit the gas tank. Oops!

ad

Having worked on fighter jets, I know how almost impossible this is. There are so many safety measures in place to prevent this, from safety pins, to the step by step instructions you follow with every procedure. There is a good chance he will end up in Levenworth over this. They take aircraft maintenance VERY serious and he broke some well defined rules if he accidentally fired its weapons.

Having worked on fighter jets, I know how almost impossible this is. There are so many safety measures in place to prevent this, from safety pins to the step by step instructions you follow with every procedure. There is a good chance he will end up in Levenworth over this. They take aircraft maintenance VERY serious.
They have a Leavenworth in Belgium, too?

Having worked on fighter jets, I know how almost impossible this is. There are so many safety measures in place to prevent this, from safety pins to the step by step instructions you follow with every procedure. There is a good chance he will end up in Levenworth over this. They take aircraft maintenance VERY serious.
They have a Leavenworth in Belgium, too?
Ah, it was a Belgium F-16. No idea where they get sent to prison. I bet it's worse there.

Forum List

Back