Tear Down This Myth

Reagan was responsible for huge budget deficits.

His pupil George the Lesser just followed in his footsteps.

• Banned
Editorial Reviews
Review
"With help from a loving Beltway press corps, Republicans sold Reagan as the iconic American leader. From promotions like the Ronald Reagan Legacy Project and Operation Serenade, the GOP marketing machine worked to perfection. Will Bunch's long overdue book, Tear Down This Myth, pulls back the curtain and looks at Reagan, minus the branding. It's a sobering sight."-- Eric Boehlert, author of Lapdogs: How the Press Rolled Over for Bush

"Will Bunch's subtle account of Reagan's legacy carefully dismantles the image of conservative purism that has been painted over the real Ronald Reagan. But in tearing down the myth, Bunch also gives us a fascinating portrait of Reagan the pragmatist, able to compromise, to change his ground and to govern from the center as political winds shifted. This is a buried Reagan, hidden even at the time but still perceptible, in some ways, to those of us who fought him at the time. Tear Down This Myth is historical revisionism for which both Reagan's supporters and his opponents should be grateful."-- James K. Galbraith, author of The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too

Last edited:
  • Banned
I know this shakes you guys to your boots but the Reagan Myth can not withstand the facts.

It is now going to fall because Americans realize the true danger of made up History.

Its time for the facts and just the facts.

Reagan was not who the Republican party myth says he was.

• Banned
I loved IKE.

You are right , Ike should be their model to rebuild the party.

No one cares about reagan anymore I guess.

We have a winner!

That's right, no one cares about going back and tearing down a guy that hasn't been in power for more than 20 years. Amazing, huh?

Let's imagine you somehow manage to prove Reagan was the Devil himself. So what? That solves any modern problems? No.

It's boring and it's no longer relevant. Just like Clinton, Reagan is over, except Reagan is even more irrelevant because it's been longer and he's deader. Give it up, whether it's some stupid solar panels or whatever other inane malarky you come up with: no one cares.

We have a winner!

That's right, no one cares about going back and tearing down a guy that hasn't been in power for more than 20 years. Amazing, huh?

Let's imagine you somehow manage to prove Reagan was the Devil himself. So what? That solves any modern problems? No.

It's boring and it's no longer relevant. Just like Clinton, Reagan is over, except Reagan is even more irrelevant because it's been longer and he's deader. Give it up, whether it's some stupid solar panels or whatever other inane malarky you come up with: no one cares.

Its called history my dear.

Its how you learn and keep from making the same mistakes over and over.

BTW Yes people do care and yes they will buy the book.

Yep. A thread of 13 posts (including mine), and 7 of them are yours.

People care, alright...

We have a winner!

TM, when Amanda posts as above, you know you are losing your relevancy. She is the new generation and recognizes that bitching about Reagan is as useful as bitching about Carter. Now there may be times for looking at what each of them did, but that is not what you are doing.

We have a winner!

What do liberals care about not repeating mistakes over and over again?

Reagan was a FAR better presidnet than Bush.

He recognised that Gorbachev was trying to change the USSR and began to work with him instead of staying with his idiotitc idea of cowboying the foriegn policy until we had WWIII.

Reagan ran up massive Debt just like Bush.

He deregulated just like Bush helping cause the savings and loan scandal that almost killed McCains carreer.

Reagan was better but he is still not in line with the myth you people have.

I knew I should have pre-emptively struck that tired old saw "it's history and we're DOOMED to repeat it". I have no doubt that history is important, what isn't important is tearing down Reagan NOW. It is an exercise without merit. But here's your chance to make a point, if you could manage to prove Reagan was the worst president ever, what would you have accomplished? Would our energy crisis be fixed? How about Iraq? Would it fix anything? If it would please let us know. Somehow I doubt I will hear the answer. It will be just like in solar panel thread where the Dems couldn't stay on point when I pointed out what was being said (It's all the GOPs fault we don't have kick ass solar today) was a crock.

People will buy the book? Of course they will, people will buy anything, doesn't mean it makes any difference.

All of these anti-Reagan threads are boring and about 20-30 years too late.

And edited to add: The condescending "my dear" just adds tons of credibility and class to your posts, keep it up.

Last edited:
Here is the reality , He was not the myth , he was a president with good and bad points.

Examining his record and comparing it against the myth that has been created is not tearing him down.

Its called reality.

They are only 20-30 years to late for you and the others who believe the myths.

Tell me what you love about him so much?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back