Team America -World Police

GWBfan

May 26, 2004
Dallas, TX
Anyone seen it?
Seems like seeing Moore/Penn/Robbins/Sarandon/Clooney/Baldwin take huge hits would be immensely entertaining even if the ARE puppets!!

Yeah, I have seen it twice now (I think that's the only time I've seen a movie twice in the theaters). There's more discussion on it below, but I could talk about this movie all day!

It is hilarious. There's three levels of comedy going on in this movie:
1) Parody of big-budget Bruckheimer action movies - It succeeds at this better than anything else. It is just perfect in this respect.
2) Political satire - It is very good at this, but not great. They basically have one viewpoint on either side of the political spectrum (conservatives, represented by Team America, are willing to destroy the world in order to kill any terrorist that comes in their path; liberals, represented by all the left-wing celebs, are against all conflict and are willing to get violent to prove it). It's not that it doesn't work, and a lot of it is just spot-on accurate, but for the most part, they save their harshest criticisms for the actors.
3) Gross-out humor - Trust that R-rating. Don't think that just because this movie stars puppets it won't be really really violent and filled with graphic sex. It shocked me a couple times, which is very hard to do.

The puppeteering is pretty good, though they get some good jokes out of bad puppeteering.

Great songs, once again.

Before this movie came out, many people (mostly left-wing) were scared to death or just plain furious at it, but once you watch it, you see how pointless it is to get mad at a movie like this. It has no political agenda, the message they're saying is basically "we need to stop taking all this so seriously and learn to laugh at life again" and they do this by trashing all sides of the war on terror.

It's not quite as funny as the South Park movie (what is?), but it is very, very funny.

Ok.. You talked me into wasting $10 to sit in a dark room in a chair that's not nearly as comfortable as my couch.. This better be good..or else.

GWBfan said:
Anyone seen it?
Seems like seeing Moore/Penn/Robbins/Sarandon/Clooney/Baldwin take huge hits would be immensely entertaining even if the ARE puppets!!
I saw it and was pretty shocked at the sex scene. I wasn't expecting that. I guess I should have done more reading on the movie before I went.

I thought that the scene with graphic sex wasn't appropriate for a movie with an "R" rating, even if the sex was with puppets.

Other than that, It was OK, I got some laughs out of it. It was a nice change of pace to see the Left getting theirs for a change.

I saw it and was pretty shocked at the sex scene. I wasn't expecting that. I guess I should have done more reading on the movie before I went.

I thought that the scene with graphic sex wasn't appropriate for a movie with an "R" rating, even if the sex was with puppets.

They actually cut a couple shots out of that scene to get an R rating. They said the DVD would be unrated.

Forum List

Back