Teaching Your Children To Drink

Dude111

VIP Member
Jun 6, 2011
http://web.archive.org/web/20031204105327/http://www.lewrockwell.com/wallace/wallace135.html

I was 15 years old when I first went to a party where we got our hands on substantial quantities of alcohol. It was like letting children loose in a candy store. There was also that "forbidden fruit" aura around it. It didn't work out very well for any of us. One guy passed out in the front yard. Since we were in a semi-secluded area, with the neighbors quite a distance away, we just threw a blanket over him and stuck a pillow under his head. He lay there all night. [more]
Interesting......

I havent ever liked any kind of BEER,alcohol,etc..... THEY TASTE GROSS :D (I dont know how people can stand the taste of it)

Granny says, "Dat's right...

... dat's what's wrong with a lot of communities in dis country...

... buncha old drunks teachin' their kids...

... to be the next generation of sop-heads."
:eusa_eh:

The Irresponsibility of the Prude by Bob Wallace

I was 15 years old when I first went to a party where we got our hands on substantial quantities of alcohol. It was like letting children loose in a candy store. There was also that "forbidden fruit" aura around it. It didn't work out very well for any of us. One guy passed out in the front yard. Since we were in a semi-secluded area, with the neighbors quite a distance away, we just threw a blanket over him and stuck a pillow under his head. He lay there all night. [more]
Interesting......

I havent ever liked any kind of BEER,alcohol,etc..... THEY TASTE GROSS :D (I dont know how people can stand the taste of it)

You can get used to anything if you put your mind to it.

Kids ARE going to drink and drink to excess.

Why?

Because getting drunk is fun, especially when you're young enough to be able to drink and shake it off the next day, that's why.

Kids ARE going to drink and drink to excess.

Why?

Because getting drunk is fun, especially when you're young enough to be able to drink and shake it off the next day, that's why.

I'm old and I still do it.

I completely disagree with the slant of the posts so far.

I didn't drink until I was of legal age and had moved out of my mother's house (of course). My father was an abusive alcoholic in his younger years and my mother's father was as well. My mother still prefers for no one to drink around her. Obviously her experiences have given her the understanding that some ought not drink. MY experiences, however, have been vastly different. Granted, I have been around quite a few that over-drink and use the excuse of being drunk for any bad behavior that ensues... BUT I have also been around more that have been more intellectual, spiritually grounded, etc... For some of us, our brains function at a higher speed than what allows for us to effectively focus at times... and drinking a drink or two or even more in certain atmospheres and with certain types of individuals can be a profoundly positive experience.

I have four children who are quite young yet, however, that being said, they are around a healthy mixture of individuals that have different personalities and temperaments. I encourage my children to be themselves at all times especially within my company. I encourage the healthy display of whatever emotions they experience and I make sure they understand that as they mess up... make mistakes... that it is best to learn from them than to be defeated by them. It is very difficult at times but I really work at making sure they understand that they are responsible for their behavior at all times, even and especially when being provoked.

I do not encourage my children to drink but it is one of those conversations I have already had numerous times expressing my hopes that they will do so initially in my or their father's company and forever remember their levels of responsibility both to themselves and toward whatever company they drink in.

It is illogical IMO to teach children only the dangers of drinking and preach to them to not ever do so without giving them both the potential negatives and the potential positives in which would better allow them to make their own decisions when the time comes that they must do so.

I taught 'em real good.

beerboys.jpg

Why do some parents think they need to teach their kids to drink? Why not teach them they are accountable for their own actions and talk to them aout what happens after you drink to much.
It's a sad day when you have to teach your children how to do certain adult things when we should be talking with them about the after effects of their actions.

My father did teach me how to MAKE drinks.

He assumed (and he was right, too) that I'd understand how to drink them, and he made 100% certain that I understood that I was responsible for what I did regardless of how much I drank, too.

Now how did he do that?

By using the benign neglect parenting system, once I'd become a teen, that's how.

"Oh, you're in trouble?" he'd say?

"Well, you were adult enough to get you ass in this jam, Son, so be adult enough to accept the consequences."

When I was a teenager my dad taught me to work with a hangover.

He would know that I had been drinking the night before and there would always be some sort of horrible chore to do the next morning. Mom always made a good breakfast with eggs and gravy. I would have to hid and puke thinking he did not know.

I think parents should teach their children that drinking is an adult activity only, and make it clear that it is not an acceptable or safe behavior in children under the legal drinking age.

I also think adults shouldn't drink in front of children. I have done it, but I think I shouldn't have, and I won't do it again. If it's not an activity suitable for children, we probably shouldn't expose them to it as children.

I just heard of a facebook fad that is taking hold somewhere....a site where parents sign up as volunteers to drive kids who don't feel safe driving themselves, or who don't want to be in a car with their driver because of drinking..it provides them with a resource that can get them home without forcing them to call their own parents or someone who knows them.

What a great idea! Though I do see potential risks as the predators get a whiff...

I think parents should teach their children that drinking is an adult activity only, and make it clear that it is not an acceptable or safe behavior in children under the legal drinking age.

I also think adults shouldn't drink in front of children. I have done it, but I think I shouldn't have, and I won't do it again. If it's not an activity suitable for children, we probably shouldn't expose them to it as children.

I just heard of a facebook fad that is taking hold somewhere....a site where parents sign up as volunteers to drive kids who don't feel safe driving themselves, or who don't want to be in a car with their driver because of drinking..it provides them with a resource that can get them home without forcing them to call their own parents or someone who knows them.

What a great idea! Though I do see potential risks as the predators get a whiff...

What a great idea! Though I do see potential risks as the predators get a whiff

The very first thing I thought of.

Forum List

Back