Teachers Union Gone Wild

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
The self-proclaimed muckraker behind the ACORN sting and a series of other undercover videos has taken a stab at a New Jersey teachers union.

In his "Teachers Unions Gone Wild" videos, James O'Keefe released unflattering comments made by veteran teacher Alissa Ploshnick at a New Jersey Education Association conference.

The Star-Ledger reports,
Alissa Ploshnick's unintentional starring performance in the "Teachers Unions Gone Wild" video included, among other things, using the "N" word and joking about how hard it is for tenured teachers to be fired. It was all caught on tape at a hotel bar during the weeklong conference in August.

Since the video surfaced, Ploshnick has been suspended from her job as a special education teacher and denied a pay raise, according to The Star-Ledger.

At a time when the discussion over education reform is swirling around teachers unions nationwide, the controversy has a distinctly political edge.

Some education reformers have argued that unions hinder progress by safeguarding ineffective teachers. Union representatives meanwhile respond that reformers are unfairly targeting teachers.

Muckraker James O'Keefe's 'Teachers Unions Gone Wild' Video Stirs N.J. Controversy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqQTIQhn5A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqQTIQhn5A[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yt2SwDuhQ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yt2SwDuhQ4[/ame]

Ouch.

Your thoughts?

Alissa Ploshnick risked her life to save the lives of a dozen Passaic schoolchildren. She threw herself in front of a careening van to protect her students and landed in the hospital with broken ribs, a fractured wrist, a badly bruised pelvis and glass cuts in her eyes. She could have died.

...solid record over a nearly 20-year career during which she was cited by William Paterson University for training student teachers and by Fairleigh Dickinson University’s dyslexia program for her "fine record of experience...

Alissa Ploshnick wasn’t punished, her reputation wasn’t destroyed, her professionalism and heroism disregarded, because she repeated a word someone else said. She was sacrificed to a political cause.

Braun: Heroic N.J. teacher was sacrificed for political cause in hidden video | NJ.com

Ok Madeline, here goes. I am a member of NJEA and a registered Republican. The governor lied to teachers during his campaign, and now the NJEA is lying to its members as well. Call me Switzerland.

Christie has waged war against the teacher's union and they are fighting back. This issue is money and power and that's what politics is. For me -. It's about education. The collateral damage could be millions of children. Negative public opinion and attitudes toward school can affect learning. No if's and's or but's about it.

I am hoping for a ceasefire. Soon.

The self-proclaimed muckraker behind the ACORN sting and a series of other undercover videos has taken a stab at a New Jersey teachers union.

In his "Teachers Unions Gone Wild" videos, James O'Keefe released unflattering comments made by veteran teacher Alissa Ploshnick at a New Jersey Education Association conference.

The Star-Ledger reports,
Alissa Ploshnick's unintentional starring performance in the "Teachers Unions Gone Wild" video included, among other things, using the "N" word and joking about how hard it is for tenured teachers to be fired. It was all caught on tape at a hotel bar during the weeklong conference in August.

Since the video surfaced, Ploshnick has been suspended from her job as a special education teacher and denied a pay raise, according to The Star-Ledger.

At a time when the discussion over education reform is swirling around teachers unions nationwide, the controversy has a distinctly political edge.

Some education reformers have argued that unions hinder progress by safeguarding ineffective teachers. Union representatives meanwhile respond that reformers are unfairly targeting teachers.

Muckraker James O'Keefe's 'Teachers Unions Gone Wild' Video Stirs N.J. Controversy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqQTIQhn5A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqQTIQhn5A[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yt2SwDuhQ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yt2SwDuhQ4[/ame]

Ouch.

Your thoughts?
What I found very interesting was the "parent" in the second video used the "N-word" just like Alissa did, repeating what someone else said. Should he be punished like she was????

• Banned
edthecynic wrote:

What I found very interesting was the "parent" in the second video used the "N-word" just like Alissa did, repeating what someone else said. Should he be punished like she was????

You mean by being suspended at work without pay? I dunno, edthecynic. If the parent is a ditch digger, do I really care if they use racial slurs in their private time? Teachers are role models for students and they deeply affect the children's futures...I'd say overt racism among their ranks is more significant than among the ranks of ditch diggers.

The Teacher's Union, just like all other unions, are nothing more than a safety net for those that want to suck out all the resources they can from the public and protect the jobs of people who should have been fired long ago for poor performance. Thanks to the unions, an automobile, and most of anything else that is union made, cost us more than it's worth.

edthecynic wrote:

You mean by being suspended at work without pay? I dunno, edthecynic. If the parent is a ditch digger, do I really care if they use racial slurs in their private time? Teachers are role models for students and they deeply affect the children's futures...I'd say overt racism among their ranks is more significant than among the ranks of ditch diggers.
Well wasn't Alissa in her "private time" when she quoted the other person exactly as the "parent" did?

So what we have here is this......

A single, lonely teacher was plied with drinks by a flirtatious, nice looking single guy who was baiting her and secretly video taping her. This is a teacher with 20 years experience and who also spent $9,000 of her own money on school supplies for her students, made sure a child in her class made his dental appointments by bringing him there and was just asked to be a godparent to the child of another student. She also still suffers from injuries received when she threw herself in front of a careening van to protect her students and landed in the hospital with broken ribs, a fractured wrist, a badly bruised pelvis and glass cuts in her eyes.

So in a bar, on her own time and after probably several drinks she talked about someone else that used the n-word which is then broadcast all over the internet. As a result she is punished and her reputation was ruined.

Yep!! Sounds like a typical right wing attack. :clap2:

The Teacher's Union, just like all other unions, are nothing more than a safety net for those that want to suck out all the resources they can from the public and protect the jobs of people who should have been fired long ago for poor performance. Thanks to the unions, an automobile, and most of anything else that is union made, cost us more than it's worth.

Not that we paint all workers that belong to Unions with the same brush, do we? :eusa_whistle:

Why not say that ALL Union members vote exactly the same way? That they all drive the same car? That they all go to the same church?

In "closed shop" states nearly all of the best jobs are unionized and joining is a condition of employment. Are you saying that you would turn one down if offered?

It's about education. The collateral damage could be millions of children.

Not when it comes to blood sucking unions...It has always been about getting theirs at the expense of someone else. In this case, the kids. I'm sure the kids will learn just as well if the teachers have to give a little back. If you get yours, then teachers in the future will get a lot less, because states are going bankrupt...But unions think getting bailed out and printing money to make sure its members get more and more will never have an effect on everyone else...

I have a question for union members...Do you keep 1000 jobs if it means cutting your benefits in half?...Or do you sacrifice 500 jobs to keep your benefits the same? Would you be willing to give up your job for the good of the union?

Not when it comes to blood sucking unions...It has always been about getting theirs at the expense of someone else. In this case, the kids. I'm sure the kids will learn just as well if the teachers have to give a little back. If you get yours, then teachers in the future will get a lot less, because states are going bankrupt...But unions think getting bailed out and printing money to make sure its members get more and more will never have an effect on everyone else...

I have a question for union members...Do you keep 1000 jobs if it means cutting your benefits in half?...Or do you sacrifice 500 jobs to keep your benefits the same? Would you be willing to give up your job for the good of the union?

Which shows you know little or nothing about both teachers and unions.

AGAIN....Not that we paint all workers that belong to Unions with the same brush, do we?

Why not say that ALL Union members vote exactly the same way? That they all drive the same car? That they all go to the same church?

In "closed shop" states nearly all of the best jobs are unionized and joining is a condition of employment. Are you saying that you would turn one down if offered?

Any company that can afford to lose half of its workforce and still produce shouldn't have hired the extra 500 people. :eusa_whistle:

A local ethanol plant recently agreed to a contract that freezes their wages for the next three years and eliminates pensions for all new hires. They did this after intense negotiations and to help the facility to remain competitive.

edthecynic wrote:

Well wasn't Alissa in her "private time" when she quoted the other person exactly as the "parent" did?

Yes, but she was referring to a specific student, and besides racist attitudes among public school teachers is a threat to the welfare of the student body and community in a way that such attitudes among ditch diggers is not.

This is more akin to watching a video in which the local county judge says the "n" word. Unfit to serve in that capacity any longer.

There are different sorts of unions, and they exist for different reasons, glew. IMO, a public employee union -- teachers, cops, firefighters, general office workers -- is a superfluous addition to civil service protection laws and should not be allowed.

A plumbers' union, by contrast, controls access to plumbing licenses, offers training and helps assure public safety. Unless run in an abusive fashion, they should be allowed, even sponsored....we all have an interest in safe buildings.

A gaggle of unskilled workers, like a retail workers union, may or may not serve the interests of its members and still not defeat the interests of the business.....depends on the market sector, etc.

An unskilled but dangerous occupation union, like coal miners, is a matter of life and death. If we waited for coal mine operators to get with OSHA regulations we'd be burying dead miners killed at work every week.

What little back do you have in mind?

If I were a teacher, I'd accept the cuts...but would ONLY work paid hours and stop spending my own money....and let the parents know if they ask.

Yes, but she was referring to a specific student, and besides racist attitudes among public school teachers is a threat to the welfare of the student body and community in a way that such attitudes among ditch diggers is not.

This is more akin to watching a video in which the local county judge says the "n" word. Unfit to serve in that capacity any longer.
Again, so was the "parent" referring to a specific student! Why is what is acceptable for the "parent" unacceptable for Alissa? If Alissa is unfit to be around children then the "parent" is equally unfit!

Last edited:
AGAIN....Not that we paint all workers that belong to Unions with the same brush, do we?

Ummm...yes...you paint all Repubs as right wing kooks don't you? You know....That we want to starve children, let sick people die, and force people to work for pennies an hour? The truth is that union workers rarely advance through merit...they advance through collective bargaining...Which is fine...Except that at some point, it starts to strangle the golden goose through the threat of a walk out...And woe to he that crosses that picket line. I haven't even talked about the violence and intimidation that happens to the guys that think union demands are BS.

If I were a teacher, I'd accept the cuts...but would ONLY work paid hours and stop spending my own money....and let the parents know if they ask.

Chris Christie said it best...If you don't like the pay or the hours, then find a job that fits better. Lots of non-union workers are paid salary and expected to work beyond the 9-5 shift. When I was paid salary, some months I earned more per hour and some montths I earned less. Non-union workers that advance in life are the ones willing to put in the extra time and effort to do a good job...In a union setting, doing a good job isn't as important as seniority or tenure. And didn't that right wing kook, Bush 41 start OSHA...Do you really think OSHA is the be all, end all, of safety? Read the handbook sometime...You will scratch your head :)

Not that we paint all workers that belong to Unions with the same brush, do we? :eusa_whistle:

I was a member of a union for about 5 years. So I can speak about unions with some authority. The thing I find interesting about the majority of the union members I have ever known is this: They will be quick to tell you what they won't do but seldom, if ever, do you hear them say what they will do. It's been my experience with union members that they are very demanding and insist on getting their way in all matters and they cry like babies when things don't go in their favor.

Chris Christie said it best...If you don't like the pay or the hours, then find a job that fits better. Lots of non-union workers are paid salary and expected to work beyond the 9-5 shift. When I was paid salary, some months I earned more per hour and some montths I earned less. Non-union workers that advance in life are the ones willing to put in the extra time and effort to do a good job...In a union setting, doing a good job isn't as important as seniority or tenure. And didn't that right wing kook, Bush 41 start OSHA...Do you really think OSHA is the be all, end all, of safety? Read the handbook sometime...You will scratch your head :)

To address some of your points and some of your misconceptions:

So in other words there are times salaried personnel are expected to work for free. :cuckoo: Sounds like a real bargain to me!! :lol:

Teachers are among the lowest paid and least respected degreed professionals. They are expected to work miracles with students who have parents who really don't give a damn unless they get called to school for a disciplinary problem. So why do they do it? Because they have a love, calling, or gift for teaching. Why do I know this? Because since my wife is a teacher I see it first hand.

In my place of employment (power plant) in order to advance you must pass several tests and demonstrate ability. Seniority only counts for lay-offs and vacation selection. That's all. So only the ones who put forth more effort get promoted to the next level.

No, Bush 41 did NOT "start OSHA". :lol: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration was started when President Nixon signed the Occupational Safety and Health Act into law in 1970. And, according to Federal Law (CFR's) OSHA is the end all and be all of Occupational Safety and Health. Please keep in mind that OSHA Regulations were written in the blood of American workers. And I should know because part of my job is being the plant Safety Coordinator. I have taken both OSHA 10 and 30 Hour courses. So yes, I have read the CFR's (Code of Federal Regulations) and don't have to scratch my head while reading them. They are not "handbooks" either. They are the law.

Forum List

Back