Teachers Should Tolerate The "F" Word.

I'm in middle school, not high school. Private, not public. Yesterday there were 10 out of 21 kids that did not have their homework. I recorded the grades, told those that had a zero that the next day, today, if they turned in their work, they would get 2/3 credit. They all had to fill out a 'student responsibility form' which lists the assignment, date, and point value. It also makes them write why they didn't do the work.

One wrote, 'The weekend was too short.' Another: 'I spent the weekend with my best friend, had a lot of fun, willingly chose not to do the assignment.' Probably the most honest of the bunch. The rest were variants of 'I left it at home', 'I forgot', etc.

Today, all but 3 had it done. Those 3 got another form sent home to be signed by parents, 2 of 3 were the first two mentioned. I attached their 'reasons.' Both swore, and were given in school suspensions, parents called. 7 class days so far.

One parent actually started saying it was too much work for the second week of school, I explained my expectations, when she started swearing, I made the principal take the call. Morning meeting tomorrow.

You made them accountable, sounds like some parents do a good job of undermining that though:(

I'm in middle school, not high school. Private, not public. Yesterday there were 10 out of 21 kids that did not have their homework. I recorded the grades, told those that had a zero that the next day, today, if they turned in their work, they would get 2/3 credit. They all had to fill out a 'student responsibility form' which lists the assignment, date, and point value. It also makes them write why they didn't do the work.

One wrote, 'The weekend was too short.' Another: 'I spent the weekend with my best friend, had a lot of fun, willingly chose not to do the assignment.' Probably the most honest of the bunch. The rest were variants of 'I left it at home', 'I forgot', etc.

Today, all but 3 had it done. Those 3 got another form sent home to be signed by parents, 2 of 3 were the first two mentioned. I attached their 'reasons.' Both swore, and were given in school suspensions, parents called. 7 class days so far.

One parent actually started saying it was too much work for the second week of school, I explained my expectations, when she started swearing, I made the principal take the call. Morning meeting tomorrow.

10 kids out of 21!? Looks like a lot were still on summer vacation. :sleep:

Smart to 'wake 'em up' straight away. :thup:

Good job! The behavior of the children is a reflection of the behavior of the parents and, ultimately, it is the parents who are responsible for the actions of their children. That doesn't absolve children from being held culpable for their own misbehavior, it means the parents are culpable as well.

Kathianne said:

Jesus, they aren't seriously like that all the time, are they?

My son's first day of school this year was on a Friday, and he was given about 4 hours of homework. We had to get back from the weekend early for him to finish up and assignment.

I know what you mean. My daughter had homework the first night, and about 3 hours the second night. Weekend work is a different animal, though.

Welcome to the board! :beer:

Thanks. I just got pushed off another board because of my radical views, so we'll see how long I last here.

A couple of people may disagree, but in the year that I've been here, banning is quite rare. Post away. Just watch out for that crazy moderator Bonnie; she's a ban-happy she-cat! (just kidding)

Me thinks teachers of today need to stick with the proven ABC's and stay outta social issues...I remember last year when my GD brought to my attention a incident with a teacher at her HS who got his panties in a wad when she responded to a comment he made in class..all she said was..."Thats Gay"..meaning silly in her mind...He told her he was going to send her to the Principles office for bashing the gay community...she said are you allright or just confused cause' you ignore all the kids in class who tell you to F' off and are now going to send me to the office for a realistic comment?...needless to say he backed off after he called me and I told him he should seek counseling...end of a good story...he he he!

A couple of people may disagree, but in the year that I've been here, banning is quite rare. Post away. Just watch out for that crazy moderator Bonnie; she's a ban-happy she-cat! (just kidding)

I didn't got banned- just "on probation", which meant that a mod would have to approve my posts before they got posted. Really stupid- like 1st grade.

Jesus, they aren't seriously like that all the time, are they?

It's that class from hell, last year's 7th, now 8th grade. Out of the 21, 16 should be in serious counseling or jail. :laugh: But it's really not funny. Last year the police were at the school 4 times, from what the kids did outside of school. So yeah, not doing their homework is the least of their problems.

I'm glad I'm not their homeroom teacher.

I didn't got banned- just "on probation", which meant that a mod would have to approve my posts before they got posted. Really stupid- like 1st grade.

Our only probation is temporary bans, but those, too, are quite rare. We hit a lot of hot button issues here. Few people have gone their entire duration here without getting into a really vicious debate. As long as you use common sense, refrain from flaming moderators (they shouldn't be flaming you, so it's not hard), and keep private messages private, you should be fine. Oh, and one final thing. All grievances need to be pm'ed to a mod. Don't start a thread about how Kathianne is unfair or how Jim shouldn't have locked down your thread. They're human beings and thus aren't perfect, but publicly complaining about them will get you banned.

Life without consequences, yes that will get you far in life.

When would you rather someone learn a valuable life lesson? Elementary school? Middle school? High school. From a boss?

Forum List

Back