Teachers having their kids as students

I've got 2 experiences with kids being taught by their parents. Two of my high school English teachers were married and taught 9th/10th grade - their son had to endure 2 years in their class essentially doing twice the work of the rest of his classmates to avoid even the hint of favoritism. He's done well enough that he's now working on a ph.d in English. The other example are twin girls that joined public school in the 10th grade. They had been home schooled up to that point, and were in no way qualified to be in the 10th grade, they both cost the tax payers for excessive remediation needed to get them to graduate on time, and neither made many friends because they had spent the first 16 years of their lives cooped up out in the country with their mother.

Where did you respected individuals learn about this great public school idea? Is there a book I can read up about it? I would really like to jump in on this subject, it sounds extreme and a little - okay, a lot - unconstitutional but hey; this sounds great.

I just want to know, did you learn to like public school in public school?

Interesting.

Where did you respected individuals learn about this great public school idea? Is there a book I can read up about it? I would really like to jump in on this subject, it sounds extreme and a little - okay, a lot - unconstitutional but hey; this sounds great.

I just want to know, did you learn to like public school in public school?

Interesting.

Overloaded sarcasm is a great way to get your point across!!!....:lol:

But seriously, do you think that lack of social interaction is a POSITIVE thing for children?

And I suppose theres a certain amount of assumption there. I suppose that a home-schooled child can have plenty of social interaction PROVIDED their parents plan for that. But from what I have seen, few do.

But seriously, do you think that lack of social interaction is a POSITIVE thing for children?

And I suppose theres a certain amount of assumption there. I suppose that a home-schooled child can have plenty of social interaction PROVIDED their parents plan for that. But from what I have seen, few do.

Ok, BB, let's look at it this way - kids are put in a school building, set apart at desks, and have to be quiet and generally not interact with each other during the class time, right?

So you have a few brief minutes in between classes and lunch time where students are free to "socialize" with each other - their peers. How is that socialization? Simply because they are in the same building with others generally around their age?

And in regards to social interaction/socialization, it depends on your point of view. Personally, my definition of a social child is one who can interact with not only kids their own age, but persons much younger and much older than themselves, who know what is expected of them in public situations, have been taught manners and good behavior.

In short, what I expect of a "socialized" child is something that is better taught by an adult than another child anyway. But that's just me. You will (relatively) soon have to make your own choices, decide how you want your new child to act and behave in different situations, figure out how best to raise him. Don't be unwilling to change your position after you see it from a different perspective. Life is all about learning. ;)

Being dumb as a box of rocks is in no way limited to the homeschoolers in the world. My son had a kindergarten teacher who couldn't spell their KINDERGARTEN SPELLING WORDS

Being dumb as a box of rocks is in no way limited to the homeschoolers in the world. My son had a kindergarten teacher who couldn't spell their KINDERGARTEN SPELLING WORDS. Same son had a 4th grade teacher who couldn't bestir herself from her desk to answer her 4th grade students' math questions, and instead had classroom assistants (myself included) doing it..and I had no idea what their math was. I had to figure it out. It was some weird stuff, believe me.

I tried to homeschool my son for a year after he was diagnosed with epilepsy, after the superintendent of the school told me I should have him tested for Tourette's (this is after his neurologist wrote a letter explaining some of the behavioral issues associated with epilepsy, and the school asked me to teach their teachers about it.) It was a flipping nightmare. I think my son and I both lost i.q. points that year. Finally the next year we had moved to a different school and I just enrolled him one year behind where he was originally, it didn't matter because it was all new kids. Worked out fine. He ended up graduating the summer before all those classmates, anyway.

But that's me. My pastor's wife homeschools her kids, and they're all pretty well rounded, I think. I mean, they aren't ready for Wheaton at this point or anything, but they seem to be well-adjusted intelligent kids. People seem to think home-schooled kids are backwards yahoos who are barefoot and stuck in one place...these kids go all over the place, have relatives all over the US, correspond with people in places like Zimbabwe.

My daughter, however, goes to public school where she is the only child in her class. As a result she spends most of her time in the 1-2nd grade classroom, and is in an accelerated reading and accelerated math program. In our tiny school, they have multiple grades sharing classrooms, and it's very nice for them. They also have a lot of interaction with the high and junior high students....our music program includes all ages. You don't have separate programs for the elementary, junior high, and senior students. It's all one program, and they all have parts. My daughter was an Oompa Loompa for the summer program which included Willie Wonka stuff and Yellow Submarine for all the obnoxious boys (it was really fun).

I have no problem with relatives teaching kids. Our PE teacher has her daughter in class, it's no problem at all...and most of the teachers have kids in the school so they've taught them or will be teaching them at some point. I've never heard of a single problem from it.

Ok, BB, let's look at it this way - kids are put in a school building, set apart at desks, and have to be quiet and generally not interact with each other during the class time, right?

So you have a few brief minutes in between classes and lunch time where students are free to "socialize" with each other - their peers. How is that socialization? Simply because they are in the same building with others generally around their age?

And in regards to social interaction/socialization, it depends on your point of view. Personally, my definition of a social child is one who can interact with not only kids their own age, but persons much younger and much older than themselves, who know what is expected of them in public situations, have been taught manners and good behavior.

In short, what I expect of a "socialized" child is something that is better taught by an adult than another child anyway. But that's just me. You will (relatively) soon have to make your own choices, decide how you want your new child to act and behave in different situations, figure out how best to raise him. Don't be unwilling to change your position after you see it from a different perspective. Life is all about learning. ;)

First off, I cant help but laugh while reading you sum up interaction in schools. Have you ever attended a public school? :tongue: While it does pretty much work like that, I personally found TONS of extra time to hit on the hotties and BS with my buddies. Plus theres clubs and sports and all that. I was a member of German Club and on the wrestling team, and looking back they were both great for me. Wrestling taught me how to be part of a team and eventually how to lead (with the help of 2 other Captains) and German Club had a lot of meetings and took tons of trips. Through the club, I was friends with people I probably wouldnt have been friends with otherwise. In terms of extracirrucular activies, schools are invalueable.

I guess that was the "social interaction" point I was attempting to make, though granted I was poorly worded about doing so.

Good post.

And I would also say that I've known a few home-schooled kids who were VERY bright, like you point out.

However, I cant think of a home-schooled kid I met that wasnt lacking in social skills.

Would you like to meet some?

Or would that then destroy your premise?

I dont have a closed-minded premise.

I'm only saying what I know from experience.

I'm certainly open to the fact that Kids and kids and that A + B doesnt always equal C. I'm also not fool enough to think that whats right for one is right for all.

Sorry to disappoint???

First off, I cant help but laugh while reading you sum up interaction in schools. Have you ever attended a public school? :tongue: While it does pretty much work like that, I personally found TONS of extra time to hit on the hotties and BS with my buddies. Plus theres clubs and sports and all that. I was a member of German Club and on the wrestling team, and looking back they were both great for me. Wrestling taught me how to be part of a team and eventually how to lead (with the help of 2 other Captains) and German Club had a lot of meetings and took tons of trips. Through the club, I was friends with people I probably wouldnt have been friends with otherwise. In terms of extracirrucular activies, schools are invalueable.

I guess that was the "social interaction" point I was attempting to make, though granted I was poorly worded about doing so.

Good post.

Homeschooled kids may participate in local public school sports programs, science labs and other things, aside from having more time to participate in programs that public/private schooled kids cannot attend due to school schedules. And many homeschoolers belong to groups that do field trips, have tons of activities.

Aside from that, many homeschoolers have multiple kids and if you can learn to behave and not kill your brothers/sisters, you'll be fine with other people, right? ;)

I'm certainly open to the fact that Kids and kids and that A + B doesnt always equal C. I'm also not fool enough to think that whats right for one is right for all.

Sorry to disappoint???

I just happen to know several homeschooled kids fairly close to you and thought you might like to have some positive experience in that respect. ;)

Nah - you're at least interesting to discuss subjects with and you don't get all rude and nasty.

Good post.

Homeschooled kids may participate in local public school sports programs, science labs and other things, aside from having more time to participate in programs that public/private schooled kids cannot attend due to school schedules. And many homeschoolers belong to groups that do field trips, have tons of activities.

Aside from that, many homeschoolers have multiple kids and if you can learn to behave and not kill your brothers/sisters, you'll be fine with other people, right? ;)

You are 100% correct.

However, the shitty thing is some of the school sport leagues (for Illinois, its the I.E.S.A.) dont allow home-schooled children to participate in state competions (Regionals, Sectionals, and State). I wrestled a guy in high school at a dual-meet who was whomping on state ranked wrestlers but wasnt allowed to compete past Regionals.

You just have to keep making good points dont ya Eve? :tongue:

Sorry to disappoint???

I just happen to know several homeschooled kids fairly close to you and thought you might like to have some positive experience in that respect. ;)

Nah - you're at least interesting to discuss subjects with and you don't get all rude and nasty.

I can be if you really want me to :razz:

You are 100% correct.

However, the shitty thing is some of the school sport leagues (for Illinois, its the I.E.S.A.) dont allow home-schooled children to participate in state competions (Regionals, Sectionals, and State). I wrestled a guy in high school at a dual-meet who was whomping on state ranked wrestlers but wasnt allowed to compete past Regionals.

You just have to keep making good points dont ya Eve? :tongue:

I do my best. You do as well.

We just happen to see things differently on this particular topic. S'ok. :D

Forum List

Back