Teachers having their kids as students

Homeschooling is obvious a different case from the get go. I wouldn't want to teach my own children, nieces, nephews, or even friends' children.

Worse, I think is administrators having their grown children on staff and grandchildren in the school. :rolleyes:

I'd say the primary problem is due to the teacher's excessively hierarchical role in the classroom anyway. I advocate the drastic reduction of that role in favor of democratic management by the students, of course, so I wouldn't envision it being such a major problem in that kind of scheme. As it is, there could be an obvious conflict of interest, though I've known teachers to actually be "extra hard" on their children to avoid that appearance.

I'd say the primary problem is due to the teacher's excessively hierarchical role in the classroom anyway. I advocate the drastic reduction of that role in favor of democratic management by the students, of course, so I wouldn't envision it being such a major problem in that kind of scheme. As it is, there could be an obvious conflict of interest, though I've known teachers to actually be "extra hard" on their children to avoid that appearance.

I'd agree with that, in any case seems not a good thing for parent or child.

Excatly.

Hard as it is to believe, I've had tons of family as teachers, starting in high school.

I had an older brother for Tech freshman year
My Aunt for English classes freshman, sophomore, and junior years
My god-mother for German/American History
And my father for AP English.

In every case, I had to work twice as hard.

But to be honest, the truly hardest part was not calling them "Bro", "Aunt so and so", "Dad", or address my God-mother by her first name.

After awhile I found I could get away by using "hey you" :tongue:

But it is weird. And I could see how less moral teachers, or those not as concerned with their job, could take advantage of this.

And of course it was naturally assumed by some of my class-mates that I was getting off easy. But then I'd show them my work, especially papers I'd write, and they backed off once they realized that what for me is B- work, is A- or better for them.

I had my sister in law for 9th Grade English. She was tough on me, but she was tough on everyone. She was "old school" in her teaching strategies. I got a B+ in her class.

I wouldn't want to teach my daughter. I do that enough at home, teaching her things like morals, values and character. ;)

I actually am right now, which is fortunate. Resuming a full-time school schedule during the summer after having been able to go in two days a week during the spring has been nothing short of unpleasant.

I attempted to "unschool" for about a month. At the end, I was lonely and bored as hell and about to receive a truancy citation for not formally documenting my activities.

what about homeschooling? is there anyone who experienced it?

One of my older brothers wifes homeschooled their kids.

Unfortunately, shes as dumb as a box of rocks. Never mind having her kids read the classic books like Tom Sawyer etc etc, they read about Jesus! Yay!!!

So now, her kids arent too bright either, and thats unfortunate.

Personally, I think that theres very few parents that are qualified to teach ALL subjects in the appropriate manner.

Plus, theres the aspect of kids not having a social life. That has become very obvious with my nephew who is well....socially under-developed.

Hes 12 and still going through the "Mine mine mine" and "its ok to hit" stages.

I had my sister in law for 9th Grade English. She was tough on me, but she was tough on everyone. She was "old school" in her teaching strategies. I got a B+ in her class.

I wouldn't want to teach my daughter. I do that enough at home, teaching her things like morals, values and character. ;)

It's great to see a parent who still does teach those. Not all do or are even interested in teaching their kids those things.

On the other hand, who knows better than you her learning style, what things interest her immensely, her strengths and weaknesses? Who cares about her, her education, her life and her future more than you? Who has more at stake than you?

I wasn't homeschooled but I know people who homeschool.

Most don't have any problems with it. The ones I know are bright, happy kids who are usually beyond their peers with regards to education.

Some homeschool for the very reason that their kids have special needs or they may have a child who is very bright and gets bored (in trouble) in a traditional school setting. Some just don't like the fact that many public and private schools are in the toilet.

It's great to see a parent who still does teach those. Not all do or are even interested in teaching their kids those things.

On the other hand, who knows better than you her learning style, what things interest her immensely, her strengths and weaknesses? Who cares about her, her education, her life and her future more than you? Who has more at stake than you?

Nobody! So, you gonna pay me $42,000 before taxes to stay home and teach her? :eusa_pray:

At least I have summers and all the vacations with her.

I know there are some parents that know how to home school, and use the proper resources available out there. You weren't here when we had a big thread about it, but there are some posters on here who home school. Then, you have the other side of the coin of parents like brewerboy sil who may be doing more harm then good for their child.

Nobody! So, you gonna pay me $42,000 before taxes to stay home and teach her? :eusa_pray:

I know there are some parents that know how to home school, and use the proper resources available out there. You weren't here when we had a big thread about it, but there are some posters on here who home school. Then, you have the other side of the coin of parents like brewerboy sil who may be doing more harm then good for their child.

And I would also say that I've known a few home-schooled kids who were VERY bright, like you point out.

However, I cant think of a home-schooled kid I met that wasnt lacking in social skills.

One of my older brothers wifes homeschooled their kids.

Unfortunately, shes as dumb as a box of rocks. Never mind having her kids read the classic books like Tom Sawyer etc etc, they read about Jesus! Yay!!!

So now, her kids arent too bright either, and thats unfortunate.

Personally, I think that theres very few parents that are qualified to teach ALL subjects in the appropriate manner.

Plus, theres the aspect of kids not having a social life. That has become very obvious with my nephew who is well....socially under-developed.

Hes 12 and still going through the "Mine mine mine" and "its ok to hit" stages.

Do you know any public or private schooled kids with those issues?

Because kids are kids. Some will have social issues no matter where they are. Some will be selfish no matter how they are taught. And some will hit, no matter if Mom teaches them or the teacher at their public/private school.

I will say that I have yet to meet a homeschooled child who was not at least on equal footing as his/her peers, if not beyond - on basically every level.

Well, excepting a colorful vocabulary, being utterly and completely disrespectful to their parents, thinking they have to have the right clothes, look, attitude, whatever to "fit in" - basing their worth on those things, losing their desire to learn, being bullied/harassed by other kids ...

The tools with which to homeschool have changed as well. There are numerous curriculum out there now - both religious and completely secular. Many people use DVDs or online courses. How is that different from taking online courses (as many do) for college now?

Odd, isn't it, that if homeschooled kids are so socially below par, that colleges and business are now seeking them out specifically?

And I would also say that I've known a few home-schooled kids who were VERY bright, like you point out.

However, I cant think of a home-schooled kid I met that wasnt lacking in social skills.

Would you like to meet some?

Or would that then destroy your premise?

I'd pay you if I could, EZ. :)

It's like everything else. It works for some and doesn't work for others.

BUT - I think more people could do it if they were willing to.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back