Teachers caught cheating on student test scores

America's biggest teacher and principal cheating scandal unfolds in Atlanta - Yahoo! News

What ever happened to the day when teachers actually cared about their students? Please tell me we still have some left.

This could be considered some big time fraud, as it involves large amounts of federal money.

One thing I take from the article is the writers apparent dislike of standardized tests in general. My question becomes that without them, how do you quantify a students progress, and a teachers performance, in a repeatable and fair manner?

I've always wondered what the motivator was for public employees to be moral and ethical. We hear so much from the left about how morally bankrupt and corrupt "free enterprise" is because of profit motive -- while ignoring all the natural consequences of the marketplace for evil doing....

Can anyone on the left tell me why these public servants shouldn't cook the books and cheat?

I've always wondered what the motivator was for public employees to be moral and ethical. We hear so much from the left about how morally bankrupt and corrupt "free enterprise" is because of profit motive -- while ignoring all the natural consequences of the marketplace for evil doing....

Can anyone on the left tell me why these public servants shouldn't cook the books and cheat?

Well, we are constantly told by the left that when their side does something bad it's not really bad because they don't believe in standards. Using that assertion, then the only reasonable answer to your question is that nothing is wrong.

Unfortunately, to those of us who recognize good and evil, to those of us who acknowledge that we were created by a wise and benevolent Heavenly Father, that we are accountable before Him for our actions and that we will be judged before Him someday, there is quite a bit of reason.

1) Personal integrity
2) Charity toward the children
3) A love for an honest days work.
4) A desire for self government.

etc

It's not cheating, it's Affirmative Action.

Education is a racket. It's an hierarchy-based feifdom infected with nepotism and favoritism.

If it's truly "public education" then let the public invest their dollars, not through taxes but through private investment. Trade shares on the open market. Have managers that aren't afraid to fire non-productive NON UNION members. It's a total fuck up.

There are no parameters for identifying the good teachers and the mechanism for firing the bad ones is onerous.

Here's another example of the Education Racket:

3 Calif. moms accused of using PTA in Ponzi scheme - Yahoo! News

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three former PTA mothers used their connection with a suburban elementary school to recruit investors in a phony $14 million get-rich-quick scheme, authorities said Wednesday.

The alleged Ponzi-style scam lasted more than two years before an irate investor filed a complaint last year, sparking an investigation that led to the arrests Tuesday of three women, said Lt. Steve Katz of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

The alleged swindle started in 2008 when the women told fellow PTA members they had the exclusive right to sell products from a well-known local dairy to Disneyland, Disney hotels and other small retailers.

Education is a racket. It's an hierarchy-based feifdom infected with nepotism and favoritism.

What they call education is just the excuse for the real reason.

Since double-entry accounting is 700 years old shouldn't that be a mandatory part of the curriculum if EDUCATION was the true objective. There have been cases of college students committing suicide after creating too much credit card debt. But I have never seen making accounting mandatory in the high schools as a way to make them smart enough to not create the debt.

I looks more like the schools are designed to produce people knowledgeable enough to be of use but not smart enough to best be useful to themselves. The problem is in the psychology of the culture. Just the modern method of producing indentured servants without a particular master.

psik

We put way too much emphasis on test scores. We reward or punish teachers, principals, schools, and districts based on test scores. As a result teachers teach kids how to pass the test.

The first year a new test is introduced, the kids usually do poorly. Each year they do better because the teachers learn what material is on the test and they teach to the test. After a few years the district is congratulating the staff on doing such a good job. It's nonsense.

We put way too much emphasis on test scores. We reward or punish teachers, principals, schools, and districts based on test scores. As a result teachers teach kids how to pass the test.

The first year a new test is introduced, the kids usually do poorly. Each year they do better because the teachers learn what material is on the test and they teach to the test. After a few years the district is congratulating the staff on doing such a good job. It's nonsense.

All because the feel good liberals destroyed the education system with nonsense like " grades can cause hurt feelings and low self esteem, we should get rid of grades" and other such nonsense.

Did you know History is no longer taught until High School? Before that it is Social Studies where they learn about "different cultures" Instead of facts about historical events and actual history they learn about what people thought about and other nonsense.

What was their motive to do this?

To make the school look better than it is?

To help the students?

I don't really get it.

Not sure I want to, either.

Fire them all.

The fact that the kids can't pass a lowest common denominator wimpy proficiency test is the REAL problem. RetiredGYSgt had most of it. Here's the rest.

Kids are scored on GROUP performance. Projects, homework, are all mult-student assignments assignments. The artistic ones gets tapped for the drawings all the time, the tech savvy ones get tapped for content, ect. There are LESS measures of INDIVIDUAL performance that what WE experienced in classrooms. THAT'S why they can't pass the tests. The left hates them EVEN IF they are not Bush's fault. They hate the SATs, they hate GRADES, they hate measuring individual achievement. And the content they WANT to teach is not rich in facts, math or anything else that can be easily tested.

The tests Flopper are the last hope of evaluating this mess.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7httv2yXvhM]YouTube - ‪Test Cheating Scandal Rocks Atlanta Schools‬‏[/ame]

Thanks Tank:

God bless that woman for calling it "black on black crime". Certainly I can second the crime part..

Caring parents like her don't have years to fix the system. Their problem is a TODAY problem. And they don't want to hear about Bush or dead Kennedys or political excuses. They need a REFUND for the fraudulent actions of the school system. They need CHOICE today..

It's racist to expect black children to perform academically on the same level as other races.

All because the feel good liberals destroyed the education system with nonsense like " grades can cause hurt feelings and low self esteem, we should get rid of grades" and other such nonsense.

Did you know History is no longer taught until High School? Before that it is Social Studies where they learn about "different cultures" Instead of facts about historical events and actual history they learn about what people thought about and other nonsense.
Elementary school curriculum is built around the basics, reading, writing, and arithmetic. History, science, geography, and other subjects are supplemental. This is as it should be. We tried some years ago to teach a broader curriculum. This resulted in kids slipping below grade level in reading and math. Before we teach a lot of social studies, we should make sure the kids have the basics down.

It all comes back to the parents, folks. Until parents once again begin taking primary responsibility for the education of their kids the public school system will continue to fail us.

I'm truly sorry to hear of this scandal in one of the largest school districts in the USA. One of my parents was a schoolteacher, but he used his off hours to train his super math students to win the interscholastic league slide rule contests (back when the hand-held calculator was not around). Every year, he took his contestants and alternates to the regional levels, where they won, hands down. He knew how to reach his students, get them to love math, and help them win. He stayed in touch with them after they graduated, and some of them became technology CEOs, engineers in the best companies, and great human beings.

I pray that teachers who inspire their children to be the best they can be can also let them know they are just as good as anybody else, and that they can win in life with what they learn in simple subjects of every discipline.

I pray that Atlanta's present misfortune will be used to improve the chances of every Atlanta child who can be enticed into learning, loving vocabulary and books, loving number sense, art, science, and expression of their knowledge into coherent thought for the betterment of themselves and others.

As my dad told all his students, "Don't be afraid of mistakes. You really don't learn until you make a mistake and have to correct it. Mistakes make us learn to do better."

May the spirit of true learning retake our fellow Americans in Atlanta schools.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back