Teachers Bully Autistic Student!~

Discussion in 'Education' started by Sunshine, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Slyhunter

Slyhunter Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,317
    You can't teach 30 kids when one kids takes up all of your attention because of his antics. Stupid or not he doesn't belong in class.

2. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,126
    If that is the case, the child would be in a self-contained classroom and not in a mainstream setting. Want a good reference for stupid? Your posts on this topic are an excellent benchmark.

3. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,083
    You want to hear a good one? The idiot legislators in my state passed a "no restraint and seclusion law" that says unless there's an emergency, you cannot touch a child in crisis. Which means that when a special needs child (or any child) melts down in a classroom, you must just stand and watch them until it's over. You cannot help them stand and remove them (two adults taking one arm each and lifting them gently up. Very appropriate and professional, also efficient).

THis means the ENTIRE CLASS must evacuate their own classroom until the meltdown is over. That's right. Not the kid melting down--the other kids. With all these special needs kids in classrooms, this is not a rare occurrence.

I will just say the general public has no idea how much this happens now. I have been teaching long enough to see the pendulum swing too far from the side of "special ed kids are too isolated" to now, "special ed kids' needs are outweighing the needs of others".

I adore my special ed students, I really do. But Gen Ed parents MUST speak up to ensure their students' needs are getting met as well.

4. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,882
    Damn, that's sad. I was lucky in that there was really only 2 bad teachers the whole time I was in school, and they both got routed fairly quickly.

5. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,083
    That is horrible what's on that tape. I'm always leery these days when anyone throws "bullying" around because it's so much overused now. But in this case it does fit. Needless to say the teacher was WAY over the line.

However, it is also true that teachers and even other students are often assaulted by special needs students at school--mostly teachers. This shows up at the beginning of the piece when the child was accused of punching a teacher. I have seen this and been assaulted myself by special needs students. My profession needs to put up with this a LOT less and for many reasons. It burns us out faster than we need to be, and we're one of the few professions that would even consider being assaulted as "part of the job". I understand the children can't help it and don't even mean harm. Still doesn't mean it's okay to be beat up at work.