Teacherpocalypse by the numbers

The district in which I teach boasts the second highest graduation rate in the country. We (the teachers) have not gotten a step or COLA increse in two years. The numbers of students goes up every year while the number of teachers has declined. Not all systems are hosed.

You folks are obviously doing something right. :thup:

I feel fortunate to work here. Even before the economy pooped the bed, there were 15 or more applicants per opening.

Our local schools had 300 applicants for two teaching positions.
Rather than hire local residents with years of teaching experience, the principal chose a newly-graduated applicant who resides miles from here. But... she happened to know someone who knows the right people. I see this all the time. It's who you know, and to whom you are related.
Nepotism, cronyism, favoritism. It's a racket, it's fraught with abuse, and it's a broken system.

157,144 fewer students
81.426 more teachers
Per pupil spending up 2.6%
Per teacher pay up 2.3%

http://www.eiaonline.com/districts/USA09.pdf

excellent find QW thank you...I cannot hit you right now, but will ;)

United States 48,238,962
0.7%
6.5%
$10,499
26.7%
$8,697
27.5%

so we budged the student pop by only 0 .7% yet we have increased per pupil spending by 26% and via that spending per pupil, 27% of that a PLUS change for teacher compensation and we have what to show for it?

There is no contextual private endeavor/entity,using that formula that would be allowed to survive, based on cost structure and no public entity with the results attained or I should say lack of them should survive either...but, its the gov...so....

Last edited:

I feel fortunate to work here. Even before the economy pooped the bed, there were 15 or more applicants per opening.

Rather than hire local residents with years of teaching experience, the principal chose a newly-graduated applicant who resides miles from here. But... she happened to know someone who knows the right people. I see this all the time. It's who you know, and to whom you are related.
Nepotism, cronyism, favoritism. It's a racket, it's fraught with abuse, and it's a broken system.

I agree, it ain't right.

Welcome to life.

Welcome to life.

It would seem that public schools is the last place this type of environment should exist.

There is no contextual private endeavor/entity,using that formula that would be allowed to survive, based on cost structure and no public entity with the results attained or I should say lack of them should survive either...but, its the gov...so....

There is, but we aren't gunning for their retirement, compensation, overall performance ,or union standing>

Wall_Street_Sign.jpg

Here are the problems with statistics like these. First, the numbers go back and show the change from 2003-2004 to 2008-2009, which is great but it is 2011 and by the time adjustments are made off of this data it will already be obsolete. Secondly, "Amount per pupil compensation" is this supposed to be what teachers make per year with benefits? If so teachers don't make squat. These statistics are nice to look at but given that there is no context to them they become meaningless. Lastly, what is it I am supposed to see in this?

I located my state and read the data, and this is what I get out of it. Enrollment is down 11.4%, which I would assume is accurate as the amount of people leaving the state is comparable. The amount of teachers in the state has dropped 0.8%, it should have dropped more to reflect the loss in students, we should work on that. Per pupil spending has gone up 15.6%, this I suppose reflects our "just throw money at it" attitude. Money doesn't always fix the problem, most of the time it makes the problem worse. I wish I knew what "Amount per pupil compensation" is. Surely it is not teachers salaries, and the explanation of - "Compensation" includes salaries, wages and fringe benefit contributions on behalf of employees, means what? Teachers are donating their part of their salary to students?

By the way what and who are the "Education Intelligence Agency". I've never heard of them, has anyone else?

Welcome to life.

It would seem that public schools is the last place this type of environment should exist.

Well... Mrs. H. just got the call announcing she was not chosen for either of the two open positions. This makes three in-district experienced teachers that they have passed over.

The only option left for the school board is to now hire OUT OF DISTRICT.

Fuck this bullshit. I will be attending the next school board meeting and will demand the reasoning behind their decision - not the decision to pass over the Mrs. but the decision to go out of district for new hires.

Welcome to life.

Well... Mrs. H. just got the call announcing she was not chosen for either of the two open positions. This makes three in-district experienced teachers that they have passed over.

Fuck this bullshit. I will be attending the next school board meeting and will demand the reasoning behind their decision - not the decision to pass over the Mrs. but the decision to go out of district for new hires.

Having come from a teacher family, we have found the districts would rather hire new out-of-college teachers for two reasons....they have the energy and the eagerness to do ANYTHING asked of them....and they do not have to be paid as much as anyone with experience.

Having come from a teacher family, we have found the districts would rather hire new out-of-college teachers for two reasons....they have the energy and the eagerness to do ANYTHING asked of them....and they do not have to be paid as much as anyone with experience.

EXACTLY!

Teaching is a profession where it seems you are punished for having experience.

I love my job, but drive 50 miles round trip to it during the school year. I'd love to move closer to home, but with 14 years experience nobody will hire me, they want the new teachers that they don't have to pay as much.

Also folks, you DO KNOW a lot of this money is going to the TOP HEAVY ADMINS~ WTH? They get paid TOO MUCH $$ and don't do enough to earn it. Some of that money should go to the STUDENTS, not the admins.

she was also I wager impressionable, malleable, willing and freshly brainwashed in the new paradigm by their masters at Big State U. ...

EXACTLY!

I love my job, but drive 50 miles round trip to it during the school year. I'd love to move closer to home, but with 14 years experience nobody will hire me, they want the new teachers that they don't have to pay as much.

Also folks, you DO KNOW a lot of this money is going to the TOP HEAVY ADMINS~ WTH? They get paid TOO MUCH $$ and don't do enough to earn it. Some of that money should go to the STUDENTS, not the admins.

Unfortunately that scenario is not just for teachers, no one hires anyone with expierience because most employers want to pay their help the least they can to maximize their profits.

Welcome to life.

With all the screeching about equality there... yep.

That sounds like the private sector. Imagine that.

EXACTLY!

My father was a public school administrator in WI. When he retired, they hired some new schmuck from out of state...

and paid him over DOUBLE my father's salary.

Yeah, the fat cats at the top of education in the public sector are overpaid a ton.

Forum List

Back