Teacher Testing: Long Overdue

Nice rebuttal, Unk. Filled with facts and logic.

What do you think you merit? You don't know anything about education, but shoot your mouth off as if you had the first fucking clue what you are talking about. You are frequently corrected by those vastly more informed and experienced, yet you repeat the same ignorant shit over and over anyway. You are not a serious interlocutor on the subject.

See, here's how it works: I said, for example that public high school math and science teachers generally DO NOT have degrees in math or science. If you want to rebut that point, you produce some data that proves me wrong. I said that teachers were not "professionals," and explained why. If you disagree, you list the reasons why you think they ARE professionals.

Just sayIng that I don't know what I'm talking about is not a rebuttal. It is a childish verbal tantrum. Since you claim to be a teacher, I suppose you are accustomed to just making unfounded pronouncements in front of a class, where the audience is too ignorant or intimidated to question your "wisdom." It doesn't work that way with adults.

... I said, for example that public high school math and science teachers generally DO NOT have degrees in math or science. If you want to rebut that point, you produce some data that proves me wrong. .....

No, you illogical loser, the onus is on YOU to support YOUR claim. Don't drop out of school yet.

..... Since you claim to be a teacher, I suppose you are accustomed to just making unfounded pronouncements in front of a class, where the audience is too ignorant or intimidated to question your "wisdom." It doesn't work that way with adults.

Here AGAIN you demonstrate your ignorance and aversion to logic.

Adam's Apple said:
Testing Teachers
By Linda Chavez,Townhall
July 26, 2006

If you were ever one of those students who wished you could be the one grading your teacher instead of the other way around, the federal government may be about to grant your wish, vicariously anyway. This week, Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings has threatened to give failing grades to some states for not testing teachers adequately.

Under the No Child Left Behind Act (2002), which was passed with bipartisan support, all states were given until August to demonstrate that teachers in their school systems were "highly qualified" in core teaching areas. But several states are so far behind in meeting these standards that they could lose federal funding.

"I want states to know that Congress and the president mean business on the law," Spellings told The New York Times in a recent interview. Spellings was criticized by some education reformers last year for taking a go-slow approach in forcing school systems to meet the NCLB requirements, but the only complaints now are coming from states that don't measure up--and the teachers unions. "Last year it was, 'We're marching together toward the deadline,'" Spellings said, "but now it's time for, 'Your homework is due.'"

for full article:
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/LindaChavez/2006/07/26/testing_teachers

Bullshit.

This country is going to make the teaching profession so prohitive to the average college graduate that nobody in their right mind would choose to be a teacher in today's world.

Doctors are not subjected to the same kinds of rules and regulations that politicians and the average voter think teachers should be subjected to, and why?

One word: Misogyny

Most teachers are women.

I have no use for teachers these days, because of my own personal experiences with them, but it is absolutley nuts what people expect of teachers.

No wonder most teachers these days have no concept that they have the right to control their own classrooms. Look at what they're faced with.

Why anyone would become a teacher today is a mystery.

I half agree and half disagree. I've been in schools where rigorous testing was demanded, and yes there were problems and the job was stressful for teachers, but the kids were getting an education they deserved. The issue isn't necessarily about the demands on teachers to teach well, the issue is about society changing so the kids aren't bringing the problems into the classroom, about changing education so teachers are learning how to teach to the strengths of the kids, kids learning stuff that is relevant and schools working together to make sure discipline is a given in classrooms.

Adam's Apple said:
Maybe that's a good thing. It would weed out those who shouldn't have entered the teaching profession in the first place. Too many people become teachers because they think it's an easy job with three months off in the summer. It's also one of the easier programs to get through in college. Neither is a justified reason for becoming a teacher.

Again, I have to say: bullshit.

The teaching profession is big business. None of this is free. It costs every teacher money to take these courses, and who gets the money? The very colleges that support these types of rules and regulations to begin with.

And where has any of it gotten us? Nowhere. Longer school years. Total reliance and dependence on test scores alone as an indication of success. And in the meantime the kids have been totally lost in the shuffle of the pissing contest.

There is a lot more to teaching than being technically proficient at something on paper. The best teachers are those that have the gift of being able to explain something in a way that can be understood, and the patience to do it day in, day out.

No Child Left Behind? Some kids deserve to be left behind.
That's where an ongoing proficiency test is in order, such as Praxis. This test is how well the teacher is communicating , reaching all of the students and managing the classroom. An evaluator comes in and rates the teacher on a variety of classroom techniques and scores the from A to F. At that time a teacher could be dismissed or even a pay raise if the district allows it.

See, here's how it works: I said, for example that public high school math and science teachers generally DO NOT have degrees in math or science. If you want to rebut that point, you produce some data that proves me wrong. I said that teachers were not "professionals," and explained why. If you disagree, you list the reasons why you think they ARE professionals.

Just sayIng that I don't know what I'm talking about is not a rebuttal. It is a childish verbal tantrum. Since you claim to be a teacher, I suppose you are accustomed to just making unfounded pronouncements in front of a class, where the audience is too ignorant or intimidated to question your "wisdom." It doesn't work that way with adults.

There's been a real push to recruit more teachers from non-education degrees (at least in my district). My degree is not in teaching (business), and honestly I think having that educational background, and having worked in corporate America prepared me for teaching.

My teaching certificate is the same as any peer of mine who majored in education-in fact if I placed them both next to each other on a table and told you to pick one one was an education major and which one wasn't-you wouldn't be able to do so.

I've never heard of a district that isn't open to hiring non-education majors as graduates.

Your post seems like you're making assumptions blindly.

New Topics

Forum List

Back